Scale Lubrication [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scale Lubrication

Larry_Waters
10-25-2012, 19:25
I know I've sen advice in the forums on this but I got my 5.0.5 scale back from RCBS and thy replaced the beam. Now it just doesn't float the same and as easily.

I've wiped down the beam blades as well as the little white plastic area they rest in.

I don't really think oil or a lubrication should be used or needed but I'm curious if I should add a dry film lubricant like silicone...

engineermike
10-25-2012, 23:08
oil isn't recommended but you might use a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol or alcohol patches on the scale and parts to clean it. It may not be floating like it used to if they replaced the magnet that dampens to beam but as long as it measures correctly I wouldn't worry about it. If you have some kind of weight check and the scale check properly then go ahead and use it. "Oil or lube will attract dust and lint an effect the scales ability to function properly."

Just my thoughts,
Mike

Kentguy
10-26-2012, 07:12
Larry_Waters,

engineermike has some great advise, his suggestions are what I use on my RCPS 10-10 scale.

You should purchase one of these;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212586/lyman-shooters-weight-check-set

to properly calibrate your scale.

Good luck

CitizenOfDreams
10-26-2012, 07:45
Read the manual for the scales, but the general rule is to run them clean and dry, no lubricant.

WiskyT
10-26-2012, 15:47
Weigh a single charge over and over and look for repeatability. If it is sticking, it will not balance in the same spot with the same load of powder, which it should. Just put a charge in the pan and tip the pan to move it after it settles. It should balance in the same spot each time.

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2012, 17:11
The solution for a sticky scale is exercise. First thing you need to do is buy a boat. Then you set the scale on balance in the boat and take a long trip. That should give it the exercise it needs to loosen up a little. Be careful about the water and rust. You need to make a sealed camber to prevent rust.

Kentguy
10-26-2012, 18:54
Colorado4wheel,

As my old buddy Curly from the 3 stooges used to say... "OH A WISE GUY A..."

WiskyT
10-26-2012, 19:16
Colorado4wheel,

As my old buddy Curly from the 3 stooges used to say... "OH A WISE GUY A..."

A little known fact about Curly, he shot himself in the foot as a kid and carried the bullet around in him for the rest of his life. He had a limp that supposedly can be seen when you watch the episodes, but I have never been able to notice it.

engineermike
10-26-2012, 23:50
Steve talks about the boat and exercise but no warning about the beer. "Watch out for the beer, it don't contain enough alcohol to clean the scale." :rofl: