Previous scope crapped out on me.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Previous scope crapped out on me....

WoodenPlank
10-25-2012, 20:57
The last couple trips to the range, I haven't done so well with my .22WMR. Despite previously being able to consistently hit 12ga shotgun hulls at 150 yards in the past, I felt like I could barely hit a barn door at 100-150 the last two range trips. At first, I chalked it up to wind and idiot operator.

Today, I discovered there's something wrong with the CenterPoint scope after trying it on my AR. Apparently it's just no good past 100 yards for some darn reason, and only marginal at that distance. I got better groups with my 4MOA Aimpoint.

So, I am now in the hunt for a new medium-to-high power variable for my .22WMR Marlin 783. I already have a CenterPoint 30mm one-piece scope base mounted on the rifle, so anything that will fit well in that base is a bonus.

I'm already looking at the Nikon rimfire scopes, but can anyone else provide me with any suggestions? Looking to spend $100-150 or so on a scope.

cj5mrt
10-26-2012, 13:02
Check out the Mueller line of scopes. I used to have one and am thinking about buying another.

GSSF17
10-28-2012, 07:07
I too have had good luck with Muellers. Good bang for the buck, most definitely. But if you are interested in a Nikon, you can't go wrong with this:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-prostaff-rimfire-3-9x40mm-riflescope-matte-w-bdc-150-reticle.html

ETA... you'd need one inch rings with the Nikon Pro Staff, though

sillymike
10-31-2012, 07:17
Nikon or Burris make some nice scope, at a very reasonable price... But I don't think they have much to offer in 30mm at that price point.

98LS-WON
10-31-2012, 21:38
What wears out on a scope? Pardon my ignorance.

WoodenPlank
11-04-2012, 10:33
What wears out on a scope? Pardon my ignorance.

I get the feeling that one of the lenses might not be properly seated any more. In the past, the CenterPoint held well at 150 yards, letting me pick off 12ga shotgun hulls at that distance, and make very precise shots at closer range. Recently had issues hitting anything with the .22WMR and figured it was just me. When I put it on my AR and kept getting 4-6" groups at 100 yards (when I get 2-3" groups with a 4MOA Aimpoint), I figured the scope was failing on me somehow.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. As I said, 30mm would be a bonus, but not mandatory.

Clutch Cargo
11-04-2012, 15:18
On Ebay, you can find a used Redfield or Weaver 3-9x for about $100