my last week at work. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : my last week at work.

OctoberRust
10-26-2012, 08:00
Feels good man. So relaxed, just listening to rammstein in the office, and surfing the web all day. :cool:
Anyone else like the feeling of apathy that comes with your 2 weeks notice?

I can't wait to start my new job, and I can't even wait to see my new paycheck haha. Part of me wants to lease a fancy car for weekend fun, but more of me, the responsible part is telling me just to pay my current house off, and save it up. Temptations though....

kensb2
10-26-2012, 08:01
Congrats! What's the new job? I guess I would probably know your career field if I paid enough attention to your posts, but alas, I have not. I thought you were in IT???

OctoberRust
10-26-2012, 08:04
Correct, I'm in IT. I'll be a network engineer now.

And thanks! It'll be a lot of work at first, until I can get in the groove of things, like any job I'm sure though.

okie
10-26-2012, 08:05
Good luck with the new job my friend:thumbsup:

OctoberRust
10-26-2012, 08:07
Thanks Okie! :supergrin:

Just one more week of squatting it out here. Technically next week is my last week, but even more technically, it's in 7 days till my last day which equals a week. :supergrin:

kensb2
10-26-2012, 08:08
Correct, I'm in IT. I'll be a network engineer now.

And thanks! It'll be a lot of work at first, until I can get in the groove of things, like any job I'm sure though.

Sweet. I'm not sure which way I want to go, network engineering, or sys admin. I'm going a little heavy on the linux side of things in school, since unix/linux admin is highly desireable (right now).

ChuteTheMall
10-26-2012, 08:09
Last chance to call in sick and go out to play.:snoopy:

OctoberRust
10-26-2012, 08:13
Sweet. I'm not sure which way I want to go, network engineering, or sys admin. I'm going a little heavy on the linux side of things in school, since unix/linux admin is highly desireable (right now).

Sys admin or network engineer/admin both can make decent money. The beauty of the IT industry is, they tend to dismiss the fact you don't have a degree or HS diploma more, as long as you have the certs and experience to back it up.

Last chance to call in sick and go out to play.:snoopy:

True! Playtime will be over when I start my new job. I know some LONG hours will come my way, and glocktalk won't see much of me for a while, most likely. (not that it would upset many people on here :supergrin::rofl:)

kensb2
10-26-2012, 08:21
Sys admin or network engineer/admin both can make decent money. The beauty of the IT industry is, they tend to dismiss the fact you don't have a degree or HS diploma more, as long as you have the certs and experience to back it up.

We may have discussed this in a prior thread, but with my company, I have to have a degree to be a sys admin/network engineer. It's a .gov requirement that is written into our contract.

True! Playtime will be over when I start my new job. I know some LONG hours will come my way, and glocktalk won't see much of me for a while, most likely. (not that it would upset many people on here :supergrin::rofl:)
Very true that you can make good money. You can also lose it if you can't get some certs. I know one guy that had to 'retire' or take a lesser position because he couldn't pass a Microsoft cert required for his position. Another guy, similar situation, took a 40% cut in pay down to a position that would've been a promotion for me (was offered to me, but then they decided to let him take the job instead of being fired). He has A LOT more time with the company, so their decision was smart, and understandable. They kept his skillset in the company, even if he couldn't officially stay in the position.

OctoberRust
10-26-2012, 08:27
Very true that you can make good money. You can also lose it if you can't get some certs. I know one guy that had to 'retire' or take a lesser position because he couldn't pass a Microsoft cert required for his position. Another guy, similar situation, took a 40% cut in pay down to a position that would've been a promotion for me (was offered to me, but then they decided to let him take the job instead of being fired). He has A LOT more time with the company, so their decision was smart, and understandable. They kept his skillset in the company, even if he couldn't officially stay in the position.

Yes, I we may have discussed that before. I stay in the private sector, and (for me, not suggesting anything for you) would stay away from the government jobs at almost all costs.

In the bigger corporations I've worked that are in the private sector, it matters on how you socially network with people, they can care less which cisco certification you have, which hurt my feelings at first a little. :rofl:

But in smaller companies, they're obviously less bureaucratic and just want stuff DONE. The cert gets you in the door, and makes your resume look fancy, the experience and hard work are what keep you in a job (unless it's a big corporation, like the one I'm spending my last week at, then you can sit back and just collect a check, as long as you're "nice" to everyone)

kensb2
10-26-2012, 08:34
Yeah, my company is private sector. Just has A LOT of gov't contracts. A small blurb from from a recently completed acquisition: XXX strongly believes this transaction will strengthen its capabilities across the key attributes of a global leader in IT and business process services. The combined company will have approximately 72,000 professionals in 43 countries and revenue of $10.4 billion to deliver exceptional scale and value to all of our stakeholders.

nmk
10-26-2012, 08:36
Congrats! Be sure not to burn any bridges.

OctoberRust
10-26-2012, 08:38
Yeah, my company is private sector. Just has A LOT of gov't contracts. A small blurb from from a recently completed acquisition: XXX strongly believes this transaction will strengthen its capabilities across the key attributes of a global leader in IT and business process services. The combined company will have approximately 72,000 professionals in 43 countries and revenue of $10.4 billion to deliver exceptional scale and value to all of our stakeholders.

Ah ok, there's plenty in the private sector that do not require a degree, and pay great though. The job I'm actually going to has federal contracts, even though that's not their bread and butter.

OctoberRust
10-26-2012, 08:39
Congrats! Be sure not to burn any bridges.

Absolutely. My current boss and I are on great working terms. Which is probably why they had me stay for the duration of my notice.

The company I'm currently working for is HUGE (a lot would give their left nut to work at this company) and is a great reference to use. Only thing is, the money isn't here. Money (with benefits) is a big motivator for me.

kensb2
10-26-2012, 08:42
Certainly true. With .gov cutbacks, I'm sure there's a good possibility I'll have to find myself one at some point (but hope not)! Do you start the new job on Monday? I know you said you'll be away quite a bit from GT, but by all means, please let us know what you think after you've been there for a bit. Inquiring minds want to know!

OctoberRust
10-26-2012, 08:44
Certainly true. With .gov cutbacks, I'm sure there's a good possibility I'll have to find myself one at some point (but hope not)! Do you start the new job on Monday? I know you said you'll be away quite a bit from GT, but by all means, please let us know what you think after you've been there for a bit. Inquiring minds want to know!

My last day with my current employers is November 2nd. So 7 days from now. Which is what I meant by my last week.

I'll start with them on November 5th, and most certainly, you're always welcome to drop me by a PM down the road as well, if I forget to post up a review on how the network gig is going. :wavey:

Buki192327
10-26-2012, 17:33
Feels good man. So relaxed, just listening to rammstein in the office, and surfing the web all day. :cool:
Anyone else like the feeling of apathy that comes with your 2 weeks notice?

Last time I gave a company 2 weeks notice, they said "Don't let the door hitn you in the a** on the way out." - So I didn't.:shocked:

GLWyandotte
10-26-2012, 17:46
Congratulations, please send me a new guitar!

Boot Stomper
10-26-2012, 19:04

Interesting selection to listen to at work. I always like "Du Hast." translation "You Hate". I lived in Germany when this song came out. My German teacher disliked the song because it was grammatically incorrect. A lot of guns in their videos.

Rammstein - Du hast - YouTube