Cast issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cast issues

Rich22
10-26-2012, 09:08
Loading up my first ever cast bullets today 2 problems

1. Even though the round as measured with caliper is well within specs (.378 at case mouth .388 at bottom) it will not guage, lube perhaps?

2 I chamber a round which seems to chamber fine but there is a groove in the bullet approx 1/8 of an inch from the nose of the bullet all the way around that was not there before chambering and ejection. Round is 147gr RN of home cast(someone else) round OAL is 1.155 which works fine in the gun since I have tested rounds that long that were FMJ before.

Have to run to a vet appt now but if anyone has any ideas I will throw in more information later.

Appreciate it guys

Rich

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2012, 09:47
Probably loaded to long. Cast is often loaded a lot shorter.
That ring is caused by the seating die more then likely.

Rich22
10-26-2012, 13:55
Probably loaded to long. Cast is often loaded a lot shorter.
That ring is caused by the seating die more then likely.

I will double check tonight, I do not believe the ring was there prior to chambering. I don't know why it would be too long. The OAL of the round is well within what is normal for me those loads gauged chambered and shot very well.

sig357fan
10-26-2012, 14:04
ojive (rounded taper at the business end of bullet) may be different than other bullets you've loaded, not uncommon when comparing jacketed to cast bullets of the same weight/profile

sig357fan

Rich22
10-26-2012, 14:36
ojive (rounded taper at the business end of bullet) may be different than other bullets you've loaded, not uncommon when comparing jacketed to cast bullets of the same weight/profile

sig357fan

A good point. I did not consider that. I may crank it down another hundredth or so to 1.14 and see what that does.

countrygun
10-26-2012, 14:59
Just as a note here, kind of "old man advice"

I see a lot of newer reloaders scoping everything to the .00001" and while that dedication to precision is laudable there are enough variables in reloading that there is a bit of slack for "freehand" compensation. Not trying to criticize anyone just point out that, for instance, OAL of a loaded round has a levle of importance, but, slavishly seating every bullet to that number to the third digit is bount to eventually run into problems with different bullet shapes or even brands. Barrel throats and such have their own variables. Most often seen is a slight change in a bullets ogive or shape, even in the same weight, causing problems with a slide stop in an autoloading pistol.

Again, just tossing out a bit of exprerience and saying sometimes the measuring gear has to give way to the calibrated eyeball.

snowwdog
10-26-2012, 15:09
ya, what he said. Getting OAL to the thousandths is just a time waster in pistol reloading. The ring you see was the bullet being forced into the barrel by the slide. You need to back off on OAL so you don't see that. Different ogive for different bullets.

Just as a note here, kind of "old man advice"

I see a lot of newer reloaders scoping everything to the .00001" and while that dedication to precision is laudable there are enough variables in reloading that there is a bit of slack for "freehand" compensation. Not trying to criticize anyone just point out that, for instance, OAL of a loaded round has a levle of importance, but, slavishly seating every bullet to that number to the third digit is bount to eventually run into problems with different bullet shapes or even brands. Barrel throats and such have their own variables. Most often seen is a slight change in a bullets ogive or shape, even in the same weight, causing problems with a slide stop in an autoloading pistol.

Again, just tossing out a bit of exprerience and saying sometimes the measuring gear has to give way to the calibrated eyeball.

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2012, 17:02
I will double check tonight, I do not believe the ring was there prior to chambering. I don't know why it would be too long. The OAL of the round is well within what is normal for me those loads gauged chambered and shot very well.

It's pretty simple. If they don't go plunk in the barrel but the outside dimensions are ok then they are likely to long. What else could it be (outside case dimensions in spec).

OAL is bullet specific. Not all bullets can be loaded to max length.

Zombie Steve
10-26-2012, 17:43
If it's a ring around the nose, it's the seater plug touching the ogive. No biggie. If it's running into the rifling, it will look like... well, rifling. :supergrin: Basically, fat dashes along the bearing surface. Rifling wouldn't touch the nose.

sig357fan
10-26-2012, 18:34
Remove your barrel and use it as a gage.

Hold the barrel, muzzle down and drop a loaded round into the chamber. The round should drop in freely and the head stamp end should sit flush or just below flush with the barrel hood. Then turn the barrel muzzle up, the round should fall out freely.

Next do a feed check.

Load the first 5 rounds you have that have pasted the barrel test into a mag and hand cycle, (be careful, they are live rounds), if your loads past both tests, load away, doing a barrel check every so often to make sure your maintaining spec.

Sig357fan

Zombie Steve
10-26-2012, 23:12

Hold the barrel, muzzle down and drop a loaded round into the chamber. The round should drop in freely and the head stamp end should sit flush or just below flush with the barrel hood. Then turn the barrel muzzle up, the round should fall out freely.

Next do a feed check.

Load the first 5 rounds you have that have pasted the barrel test into a mag and hand cycle, (be careful, they are live rounds), if your loads past both tests, load away, doing a barrel check every so often to make sure your maintaining spec.

Sig357fan

Not sure why the live round feed check is necessary. Never had one that passed the plunk test not feed.

:dunno:

sig357fan
10-27-2012, 00:14
Not sure why the live round feed check is necessary. Never had one that passed the plunk test not feed.

:dunno:

First time I reloaded 357 Sig it passed the barrel test but wouldn't feed due to COL being too long for the mag, I didn’t come to that bit of knowledge until I was at the range, on the firing line with a weapon that wouldn’t function.

I always do a function test whenever developing a new load regardless of caliber.

Sig357fan

Zombie Steve
10-27-2012, 07:44
Ahhhh.....

Even checking it against book max oal should prevent that, though.

sig357fan
10-27-2012, 12:54
Ahhhh.....

Even checking it against book max oal should prevent that, though.

I was reloading a 125 gr. TC I cast and seeing that there isn't a lot of cast bullet data for the 357 Sig round, I used the "plunk" test to set COL.

I'd never had any other weapon not function if the load past the plunk test, so I added the function test as cheep insurance to ensure that it never happened again, reguardless of caliber.

sig357fan

Rich22
10-27-2012, 13:14

Next do a feed check.

Sig357fan

Seems like I made the error of getting the world's tightest case gauge for the world's loosest pistol chamber. Look like they are dropping in fine except for a good bit of resistence from the lube, these are all well below what my mag will feed so I am good to go there but I am going to run some through to check for setback. Only loaded up about 30 until I shoot them Monday and see how it goes. Definitely not rifling. It is the seating die, I will switch out the seating stem in it to see if the other one works any better if I end up loading up more of these. Thanks for the assistance

Rich