17 days to write a Veterans Day speech [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 17 days to write a Veterans Day speech

raven11
10-26-2012, 09:45
So every year I usually volunteer to do the veterans day speech at my University. but this is the first time they want me to write a intro speech. any good websites or video I can draw inspiration from, it won't be that long maybe a paragraph or less. i'm assuming it would be after the introductions

MrKandiyohi
10-26-2012, 11:14
I was at lunch today with some co-workers when we saw Virgil and his wife eating lunch. Virgil is 91, and he brings his wife to the hospital for dialysis a few times a week. A co-worker pointed out that Virgil had served with the Army in Europe during WW2. I jokingly asked them, "so what has he done for us lately?"

Maybe you can use that in your speech. Ask what have they done for us lately, and point out what veterans do when they leave the service. You must know some people that have served. Point out how they've built up their towns, business, churches, etc.

Just an idea.

RedTop
10-26-2012, 17:54
I'm somewhat of an introvert so I really can't give any advice on a speech, especially since I don't know who you are introducing. I will agree with the post above in that you need to keep the audience engaged.

Patton is one of my favorites... I always love the line:

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.

However, I think only someone like Patton could get away with that one.

Good luck, and it's great that you are doing this. :cool:

JohnBT
10-26-2012, 20:04
This inspires me every year when the local paper runs it at the top of the editorial page.

"What is a Veteran?"

(Editorial, Richmond Times-Dispatch, 1995)

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg.

Or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking.

What is a vet? He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She or he is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in DA Nang.

A veteran is the POW who went away one person and came back another or didn't come back AT ALL.

A veteran is the hard driving drill instructor who has never seen combat, but has saved countless lives by turning, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

A veteran is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his or her ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

A veteran may be a career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass them by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns,

Whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep?

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket or a door greeter at the local discount store, who once helped liberate a Nazi death camp. She may be a nurse at the V.A. Hospital who once saved solders lives on the on the battlefields abroad. They wish all day long that their soul mate were still alive to hold them when the nightmares come.

A veteran is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being, a person who offered some of their life's most vital years in the service of their country, and who sacrificed their ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

They are soldiers and saviors and swords against the darkness, and they are nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

Huaco Kid
10-26-2012, 20:18
Ragged Old Flag by Johnny Cash - YouTube

raven11
10-26-2012, 20:23
Good luck, and it's great that you are doing this. :cool:

I'm drawing the GI bill and my country dedicates a day to me. It would be wrong not to do it:wavey: