Brookfield WI Spa Shooting- Local PD getting blasted in the media... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brookfield WI Spa Shooting- Local PD getting blasted in the media...

kayl
10-26-2012, 14:15
As I'm sure most of you are aware, some ******* whose wife was leaving him threw the ultimate temper tantrum and went to her work and shot her and 2 co-workers to death and wounded 4 more.

The local media has been all over the department (not my dept) from the village where AH and his wife used to live...see articles below.

The main point of contention is a verbal DV call where the husband locked the door in officers' faces and then pointed what officers thought was a long gun towards the victim while they interviewed her outside. After a 1.5 hour standoff, the department stood down and left.

Thoughts? Personally, I'm of the opinion that the criticism is justified, as much as I hate to see the media crucify a department...

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/brown-deer-police-lack-oversight-village-officials-say-2g7bqh2-175901891.html

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/police-went-to-spa-shooters-brown-deer-home-20-times-9k7bglu-175720831.html

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/brown-deer-police-failed-to-protect-the-public-experts-say-4c7aueu-175533261.html

Report for stand-off: http://www.browndeerwi.org/cm/pdfs/press%20release%20attachment.pdf

SPDSNYPR
10-26-2012, 14:40
Sounds like the supervisor at the scene didn't want to make any waves when the suspect pointed a rifle or shotgun at his wife, and decided to leave. There is plenty of spineless admin out there who don't want to make "waves" or a "scene." This is the outcome of this sort of thinking, IMHO. Of course, calling out a tac team to get him into custody, and this guy getting prosecuted at the time may not have kept him from twisting off later - but we'll never know. I'd rather err on the side of not letting dangerous people go about their business unhindered. That kind of thinking as kept me at the patrolman level for the better part of two decades, so what do I know? I'm obviously not admin material.

Dragoon44
10-26-2012, 14:52
On a DV call if I saw the spouse\significant other pointing what looked like a gun at the victim his\her ass would be in Jail, period.

Sam Spade
10-26-2012, 15:35
On a DV call if I saw the spouse\significant other pointing what looked like a gun at the victim his\her ass would be in Jail, period.

Period?

No, both the hospital and the morgue are viable alternatives to jail.

Hoser423
10-26-2012, 15:53
Wow !!!
For those not familiar with the Milwaukee area... Brown Deer is definitely the kind of town where "Those things don't happen here". Not excusing the tail between the legs and leaving response, but I'm sure the chief was more worried about image than being the police.

RetailNinja
10-26-2012, 16:24
Period?

This. What a bunch of RODs.

ray9898
10-26-2012, 18:42
Don't see us just 'walking away' from something like that if the media is reporting it correctly. However, lost of other factors such as the officers not being positive they saw a weapon coupled with an uncooperative victim could play a factor.

Dukeboy01
10-26-2012, 18:52
Unbelievable.

Kingarthurhk
10-26-2012, 20:06
The media never gets anything right, and most of the time on purpose. I have been involved is some significant incidents that got media attention, and I thought to myself when I watched the report-were we even in the same place? Or even the same planet?

Dragoon44
10-26-2012, 21:50
Period?

Touche!

:supergrin::wavey:

Ohio Copper
10-26-2012, 21:57
Yeah, we wouldn't be walking away from that here either.

I laid in a ditch with an 870 covering the rear of a duplex one morning for three hours because of a suicidal male after a domestic.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

golls17
10-26-2012, 22:44
Don't see us just 'walking away' from something like that if the media is reporting it correctly. However, lost of other factors such as the officers not being positive they saw a weapon coupled with an uncooperative victim could play a factor.

The media never gets anything right, and most of the time on purpose. I have been involved is some significant incidents that got media attention, and I thought to myself when I watched the report-were we even in the same place? Or even the same planet?

Actually, this time the media got it pretty darn accurate. At least, so it seems after comparing the media to the police report.

Sent from my Sprint Milky Way Galaxy S...

merlynusn
10-27-2012, 08:09
Actually, this time the media got it pretty darn accurate. At least, so it seems after comparing the media to the police report.

Sent from my Sprint Milky Way Galaxy S...

If the media is reporting it right, then yes, the police deserve to get blasted. If I thought someone pointed a long gun at a DV victim, we'd resolve that issue that night.

If it turned into a barricade, then we have procedures for that.

Mayhem like Me
10-27-2012, 08:17
We have something we use in that situation called a Bearcat...we set up a perimeter and start taking out walls till he decides to come out...

Horrible failure of spineless LE if true.