Broken Firing Pin G19 Gen 4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Broken Firing Pin G19 Gen 4

Cowboy1629
10-26-2012, 16:23
Well at 6563 rounds my G19 firing pin broke. Purchased the gun new in February so sent Glock an email hoping they would just send me a new firing pin. A few days passed with no reply so I called them. The rep I spoke to wouldn't send the firing pin to me, said their policy would only allow the part to be sent to a Glock armorer for installation. I told him there wasn't one anywhere near me and he said I would have to send the gun back to them. He didn't offer a return label but I asked for one anyway. He said I would receive an email within a week or so with all the information.

The more I thought about it I really didn't want to send my gun back for such a simple repair so I ordered a firing pin online last night. Today I received an email with the RMA and shipping label. I also received a reply to my original email to Glock requesting a firing pin. They said "We are sending you a new firing pin". So I guess they don't know what their policy is...

I'll give it a few days to see if I actually receive one from Glock. In any case I will have a spare coming from Lone Wolf if all else fails.

dhgeyer
10-26-2012, 16:37
I've noticed that what their policy is seems to depend on who you talk to down there.

lyodbraun
10-26-2012, 16:51
easier to just buy a new one online LOL, with all the hassel of waiting on Glock to get back to ya and whatnot ... glad to hear they will be sending ya a new one.. like ya said now you will have a spare...

SCC
10-26-2012, 18:05
any gssf match by you ?

JBP55
10-26-2012, 18:59
You received a shipping label and they are sending you a new firing pin, that is great service. You may be surprised how many Glock Armorers are near you if you ask.

Poohgyrr
10-26-2012, 19:00
Looks like the Rep sent your request upstairs to a Supervisor who said to just give you a new part. Thumbs up for that part of this. I'll bet your new firing pin lasts a lot longer.

stolenphot0
10-26-2012, 19:04
any gssf match by you ?

This weekend if he wants to take a trip to Lexington, KY

bustedknee
10-26-2012, 19:52
Use the shipping label to send them the broken pin.

Cowboy1629
10-26-2012, 20:05
Use the shipping label to send them the broken pin.

Now, that's an idea! I know they wanted the whole gun but maybe once they just receive the pin they will drop one off into the mail for me.

Not trying to get over on them, just thought it was ridiculous to send the whole gun in for such a minor repair. Now if the pin brakes again it might make sense to send it in to be checked out.

Cowboy1629
10-26-2012, 20:07
This weekend if he wants to take a trip to Lexington, KY

I think its cheaper just to buy one than drive 260 miles one way for a free one. :cool:

Cowboy1629
10-26-2012, 20:09
Looks like the Rep sent your request upstairs to a Supervisor who said to just give you a new part. Thumbs up for that part of this. I'll bet your new firing pin lasts a lot longer.

I don't think they were the same guy but who knows. Time will tell, they may realize that there is already an RMA out on the gun and not send the pin.

Cowboy1629
10-26-2012, 20:16
You received a shipping label and they are sending you a new firing pin, that is great service. You may be surprised how many Glock Armorers are near you if you ask.

There is one here at work but he's on vacation right now. Plus the last time I had him contact Glock for me to get the updated ejector for my G23 it took about a month to get the part from Glock. At the time that was the only way to get it so I didn't have much choice.

Just find it hard to believe a part so simple to replace requires an armorer but then it does help them get more people wanting to take the armorer's class I suppose.

mongo356
10-26-2012, 21:10
Glad your getting your gun fixed.

I have been an armorer since 2004.

1- It's easier and faster to get parts from an outside source IE- Glockparts.com or Midwayusa.com etc. even as an armorer.

2- If you play well with your local pd or sheriff's office most LE (65%) use Glock and many have a Glock armorer on staff- just spit balling but worth a shot.

stolenphot0
10-26-2012, 21:11
I think its cheaper just to buy one than drive 260 miles one way for a free one. :cool:

yeah I thought so too

Giggity-Giggity
10-27-2012, 08:47
Did the firing pin break in half?

SCC
10-27-2012, 09:28
Will you post pic's of it ?

Cowboy1629
10-27-2012, 11:19
Will you post pic's of it ?

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq226/Cowboy1629/Guns/A9A84463-5DD0-4727-AA07-5050A519063A-10857-000004965BB84897.jpg

glockarmor
10-27-2012, 17:05
Where are you in Indiana? I"m in Greenwood, if I can help let me know. PM me for my info or email me at gloktr@gmail.com.

Cowboy1629
10-27-2012, 18:16
Where are you in Indiana? I"m in Greenwood, if I can help let me know. PM me for my info or email me at gloktr@gmail.com.

Thanks for the offer, replied to your PM.

RM686
11-06-2012, 11:35
Very similar experience. Changed out my dot connector for a 3.5 wolf. Played around with the dot connector to see if bending it out or in would change pull weight. Its still ok but I would not put in a critical part that has been bent back oand forth. Called Glock and asked to buy a new dot connector and they said no I would have to go to a Glock armour. I call the guy I bought the gun from who is a Glock armouer and told him what Glock said and I wanted to buy a dot connector. He said come on in. I went to his store and when I got there he said he could only put it in the gun for liability reasons. I told him I didnt want it in the gun and only wanted it in case I sell the gun. He told me I would have to bring in the old connector for him to give me the correct one. Remember I bought the gun from this jerk new 2 months ago and dosent know what a dot connector is?.
The only reason I did not order it on line for $10.00 is Glock store is back ordered.
This is a real screwey company and this will probably be my last Glock at least a Gen 4. Fired a Gen 3 stock 27 and what a different trigger. I have over $100 in parts trying to get a gen 3 trigger on a gen 4.
I built a 1911 from scratch all with parts from Brownells. I only needed the frame delivered to an FFL to pick up. Changed many parts in my sigs including short triggers with no problem buying parts.

TxGlock9
11-06-2012, 13:03
easier to just buy a new one online LOL, with all the hassel of waiting on Glock to get back to ya and whatnot ... glad to hear they will be sending ya a new one.. like ya said now you will have a spare...

This.

fortyofforty
11-06-2012, 13:14
Well at 6563 rounds my G19 firing pin broke.

Glock firing pins are only rated to last 6562 rounds before failure.

Cowboy1629
11-07-2012, 00:32

I could have sworn I read somewhere that they were rated for 6600 rounds. :dunno:

Anyway, Glock responded to my email and sent me a new one. The tech I talked to on the phone after not receiving an initial response to the email sent me an RMA number and label to send my gun in to have the pin replaced. I didn't want to send my gun back or waste the label so I put the broken firing pin in an envelope, attached their label, and sent it back by overnight FedEx.

Haven't heard anything from them yet which I expected to since I only sent the part in and not the whole gun. They can keep it, don't need the broken part anyway.

libarts.tech
02-08-2014, 13:18
Just broke the firing pin on my G19 Gen 4. I'm not sure but I think that I have put probably 5 thousand rounds through it. Did they ever send you your replacement pin?

Cowboy1629
02-08-2014, 13:29
Just broke the firing pin on my G19 Gen 4. I'm not sure but I think that I have put probably 5 thousand rounds through it. Did they ever send you your replacement pin?

Yeah, I got one from them. Didn't have any luck on the phone but they did send one based off of my email to them. They may give you the run around about being an armor but I would keep trying until you find one that will send it.

fastbolt
02-08-2014, 13:56
Have you been shooting "green" ammo, by any chance?

Any indications on your fired brass of perforated primers (allowing gas erosion of the pin tip)?

Cowboy1629
02-08-2014, 14:02
Have you been shooting "green" ammo, by any chance?

Any indications on your fired brass of perforated primers (allowing gas erosion of the pin tip)?

Nope, only those unsafe reloads... :whistling:

I've got another 8000 rounds or so with the new pin without issues so must have just been a defective pin.

bustedknee
02-08-2014, 14:05
.... Changed out my dot connector for a 3.5 wolf. Played around with the dot connector to see if bending it out or in would change pull weight. Its still ok but I would not put in a critical part that has been bent back oand forth. Called Glock and asked to buy a new dot connector and they said no I would have to go to a Glock armour. I call the guy I bought the gun from who is a Glock armouer and told him what Glock said and I wanted to buy a dot connector. He said come on in. I went to his store and when I got there he said he could only put it in the gun for liability reasons. I told him I didnt want it in the gun and only wanted it in case I sell the gun. He told me I would have to bring in the old connector for him to give me the correct one. Remember I bought the gun from this jerk new 2 months ago and dosent know what a dot connector is?.....
This is a real screwey company and this will probably be my last Glock at least a Gen 4. Fired a Gen 3 stock 27 and what a different trigger. I have over $100 in parts trying to get a gen 3 trigger on a gen 4.

I'll bet I'm not the only person that thinks something is screwy here. :animlol:

Mellow45
02-08-2014, 14:23
delete

fastbolt
02-08-2014, 15:01

I've got another 8000 rounds or so with the new pin without issues so must have just been a defective pin.

Ok. The only thing I've heard mentioned in armorer recerts is that the use of ammo with softer primers can allow for piercing, which may allow hot gases to erode the tip. Green ammo was mentioned as having been reported to have been involved in one of my last classes (another Glock recert).

Of course, checking firing pin/striker tips is a pretty standard part of armorer inspections, no matter which gun company is giving the armorer class. Sometimes things happen and it's prudent to check for them. ;)

JBP55
02-08-2014, 15:21
I would have used this as an opportunity to get one of those skeletonized stainless steel pin from someone like Zev/Glockworx. Keep the OEM part as a spare. Has anyone heard of the SS part breaking?

My Jager firing pin broke after 52,000 rounds.

hunter 111
02-08-2014, 15:25
http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq226/Cowboy1629/Guns/A9A84463-5DD0-4727-AA07-5050A519063A-10857-000004965BB84897.jpg

That can be fixed with some J B Weld....:tongueout:

vmann
02-08-2014, 17:02
What email address did you use

ChallengerSRT
02-08-2014, 17:24
Did you ever dry fire it, practice with one of those laser rounds, or anything else not included in your history?

curlysir
02-08-2014, 17:39
I built a 1911 from scratch all with parts from Brownells. I only needed the frame delivered to an FFL to pick up. Changed many parts in my sigs including short triggers with no problem buying parts.

Think Glock is "screwey". Try to find a striker assembly for an S&W M&P. I recently bought an M&P to check out the competition and parts are just about impossible to find. Midway and Brownells are out of stock on almost everything. You can find some parts at Speed Shooters. But no striker assembly, no recoil rod/spring assembly available anywhere I can find, more parts out of stock then in stock. If anything breaks or wears out S&W wants you to send it back to the factory, very hard if not impossible to get them to send parts from what I have read on the S&W forums.

I will take the Glock parts situation anytime over what it currently is for the M&P.

Bruce M
02-08-2014, 18:58
:rofl::rofl:

I was thinking 8000 rounds in a page seemed like an awful lot of shooting. So I went back to read the dates this time instead of just the text...

CDW4ME
02-08-2014, 19:08
Glock MIM striker?

Lone Wolf and Lightning Strike offer steel strikers.

nraman
02-08-2014, 19:15
Glock MIM striker?

Lone Wolf and Lightning Strike offer steel strikers.

I replaced all my MIM Glock firing pins in my 9mm and .40 with the older machined parts.
I couldn't find one for my .45 and I bought one from LW.
It looks good, too early to tell, do they have a good reputation?

skip4309
02-08-2014, 20:10
Think Glock is "screwey". Try to find a striker assembly for an S&W M&P. I recently bought an M&P to check out the competition and parts are just about impossible to find. Midway and Brownells are out of stock on almost everything. You can find some parts at Speed Shooters. But no striker assembly, no recoil rod/spring assembly available anywhere I can find, more parts out of stock then in stock. If anything breaks or wears out S&W wants you to send it back to the factory, very hard if not impossible to get them to send parts from what I have read on the S&W forums.

I will take the Glock parts situation anytime over what it currently is for the M&P.

The situation you described with S&W is why a lot of people 'dislike' us GLOCK owners...:supergrin:

clarkz71
02-09-2014, 08:40
I replaced all my MIM Glock firing pins in my 9mm and .40 with the older machined parts.
I couldn't find one for my .45 and I bought one from LW.
It looks good, too early to tell, do they have a good reputation?

Yes, I did as well.

I have a spare new .40/357 Glock original machined steel pin if anyone needs it.

Steve83
02-09-2014, 18:25
Glock MIM striker?Que? I tried searching, but there are no results for "MIM" or "(MIM)", and it's not in the (pitifully incomplete) abbreviations thread.

clarkz71
02-09-2014, 18:34
Que? I tried searching, but there are no results for "MIM" or "(MIM)", and it's not in the (pitifully incomplete) abbreviations thread.

here's one..........

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1490053&highlight=MIM+striker

Roger1079
02-09-2014, 19:03
Well at 6563 rounds my G19 firing pin broke. Purchased the gun new in February so sent Glock an email hoping they would just send me a new firing pin. A few days passed with no reply so I called them. The rep I spoke to wouldn't send the firing pin to me, said their policy would only allow the part to be sent to a Glock armorer for installation. I told him there wasn't one anywhere near me and he said I would have to send the gun back to them. He didn't offer a return label but I asked for one anyway. He said I would receive an email within a week or so with all the information.

The more I thought about it I really didn't want to send my gun back for such a simple repair so I ordered a firing pin online last night. Today I received an email with the RMA and shipping label. I also received a reply to my original email to Glock requesting a firing pin. They said "We are sending you a new firing pin". So I guess they don't know what their policy is...

I'll give it a few days to see if I actually receive one from Glock. In any case I will have a spare coming from Lone Wolf if all else fails.Their policy is actually just as you were told by the rep. Whoever decided to send you a firing pin is not following company policy. On my 30S, I had an issue with the slide stop lever. My options were the same as yours. Fortunately I know an armorer who had the part 3 days after a 5 minute phone call.

Steve83
02-09-2014, 23:51
here's one...Thanks, but IDK why you couldn't have just posted:...MIM (Metal Injection Molding).

Tiro Fijo
02-10-2014, 03:03
And other guns FP's/strikers never break? Stuff happens. I've seen more tool steel FP's break than MIM. I've even seen forged 1911 slides crack in half. I repeat: stuff happens. That's why smart people carry a backup gun just as there are reserve parachutes for skydivers and auxiliary fuel tanks on an airplane. Parts fail/break on everything so let's not pole vault over a mouse turd.

proguide
02-10-2014, 06:16
let's not pole vault over a mouse turd.

Thank you sir, I will be using this at work today lol

nraman
02-10-2014, 10:21
And other guns FP's/strikers never break? Stuff happens. I've seen more tool steel FP's break than MIM. I've even seen forged 1911 slides crack in half. I repeat: stuff happens. That's why smart people carry a backup gun just as there are reserve parachutes for skydivers and auxiliary fuel tanks on an airplane. Parts fail/break on everything so let's not pole vault over a mouse turd.

That's irrelevant.
We are comparing MIM to machined Glock firing pins not Glock parts to 1911 parts.

CDW4ME
02-10-2014, 10:36
That's irrelevant.
We are comparing MIM to machined Glock firing pins not Glock parts to 1911 parts.

Right.
And one of those has not demonstrated the same durability/ longevity as the other. :eyebrow:
Stuff breaks, so why knowingly start with "good enough" when "better" IS a viable option

ca survivor
02-11-2014, 07:26
that can get you kill.