Has the 40 surpassed the 9mm in sales? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has the 40 surpassed the 9mm in sales?

PrecisionRifleman
10-26-2012, 19:19
So I know these are two very popular cartridges, but I wonder if the 40 has surpassed the 9mm in gun and ammo sales in the past 5 years in America? Without a doubt the 9mm is more popular world wide, but America seems to have taken favor to 40 based on gunships chatter, and discussion in friend circles. What do you think?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Tiro Fijo
10-26-2012, 20:05
...What do you think?...

I think it doesn't matter. Trends are meaningless to me personally.

Teej
10-26-2012, 22:20
Possibly an increase in .40 sales as a much better self defense round.

But as competitive shooting events have also been growing, the 9mm is still the least expensive way to go. Practice, and competition ammo $$$$ add up. Although many do load their own a high percentage do not reload and thus like the 9mm for is easy recoil and ammo prices...

But I have seen many LEO depts in the last 5 or more years upgrading to larger caliber pistols, but not just in .40.

So I think your assumption might not be accurate.

Wil Terry
10-27-2012, 07:52
NOT even close.

The Retired Sarge
10-27-2012, 08:06
In LE: yes. In the general shooting public: no. And with the advances in modern ammo you hear of some departments returning to the 9mm. All the service calibers work or fail about the same. Bill

PrecisionRifleman
10-27-2012, 09:53
I'm not trying to get into a debate over which is best, as that topic has been beat to death and is pretty subjective IMO. I would be interested in seeing some sales figures. I like both calibers myself, but I don't own a 9mm at the moment.

Michael Rye
10-27-2012, 10:24
Hi. Based solely on what I see stocked on the shelves at LGS, I would have to say 9mm sells slighty better.

hotpig
10-27-2012, 10:40
NOT even close.

Not even in the ball park. If my store runs out of 40 cal ammo no big deal. I start to run low on 9 or 45 its is scramble time to find inventory or I'm out of business.

PrecisionRifleman
10-27-2012, 10:43

I agree. However I do find interest in following the fads, urban myth, and gun culture that drives sales one way or another. These aspects seem to contribute greatly to caliber choice for a lot of people in addition to LEO and military usage.

BBMW
10-27-2012, 11:18
I keep hearing that depths are switching back to 9mm, but no one gives examples. I tend to think this is a gun forum myth.

]In LE: yes. In the general shooting public: no. And with the advances in modern ammo you hear of some departments returning to the 9mm. All the service calibers work or fail about the same. Bill

cowboy1964
10-27-2012, 12:34
No, not if you exclude LE.

cowboy1964
10-27-2012, 12:35
I keep hearing that depths are switching back to 9mm, but no one gives examples. I tend to think this is a gun forum myth.

Minneapolis did, as did Columbia SC. I'm sure there are other examples. Plus of course there are oodles of departments that never left 9mm in the first place.

I think .40 is actually declining in LE slightly. I've heard of several depts switching to .45 or .357 Sig. But it's still the dominate caliber by far.

hotpig
10-27-2012, 12:48

]

Some have but part of it was they were given just short of free G22 and G23 back in the mid 90's. Most of these departments traded in their revolvers of hi cap 9mm for the Glocks.

Now these guns are being replaced. Some departments are going back with 9mm for the economy. Some have had a lack of real shootings so caliber choice is less important.

In the end of the 90's we were told to push the 357SIG as a replacement for 40 cal in LE sales. Obviously it has not caught on like thought at the time.

Glock made the 40 cal and has the ability to replace it as the primary LE caliber with a trade in program.

SCmasterblaster
10-28-2012, 13:41

Who cares?