New issue with my G22 gen2, need advice. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New issue with my G22 gen2, need advice.

SGT278ACR
10-26-2012, 20:22
Had something happen with my G22 gen2 today that hasn't happened before. Slapped a mag up in it with the slide locked to the rear... when I did the slide closed on it's own without me sling shotting it or pressing the slide release. Thought it might just be a isolated incident, but tried it a few more times in a row... same thing. Dropped the mag, locked the slide back and just bopped the grip on my palm and the slide slammed home. Anyone else have this happen to them? Any suggestions what to do about it?

di11igaf
10-26-2012, 20:52
Just pick up a new slide stop which will have a new spring, should solve your problem. (Unless yours is somehow installed wrong-spring not under frame pin or something)
If you haven't recently had your slide stop lever out, I'd say the slide stop is just worn its a simple fix
Edit the more I think about it, the spring holds the lever down, so possibly your slapping mag in a little harder, or in just that right way. Maybe the lever is getting worn, letting the slide release too easily.I've had new and old glock do it every once in a while, just figured it was me slamming a mag in.
Either way, brand new lever should solve it

gunsmoke92
10-27-2012, 01:06
Replace the slide stop if you want, but what you describe is completely normal. Happens all the time with any number of Glocks. Now if the slide fails to lock to the rear on an empty mag, I'd be putting that new slide stop in. Shoot well and enjoy your Glock.

SJ 40
10-27-2012, 05:59
Replace the slide stop if you want, but what you describe is completely normal. Happens all the time with any number of Glocks. Now if the slide fails to lock to the rear on an empty mag, I'd be putting that new slide stop in. Shoot well and enjoy your Glock.What Gunsmoke said,normal and with some of mine the harder you slap the full magazine in the more likely it is to occur.
SJ 40

Aux Bear
10-27-2012, 06:05
Using the side stop as a slide release can / will wear the edges of the stop and can cause the slide to close with a brisk mag insertion. Recommend that you not use the slide stop as a slide release.

dusty_dragon
10-27-2012, 06:20
unless you don't have tremendously worn out parts (the spring of the lever is most likely not the problem, but a rounded edge on the rearward portion of the slide stop lever), it's as following:

it's completely normal, it happens with most semi-autos when the mag is pushed hard enough in the well.
the hard push gives the slide stop lever a little play (a milisecond or so) in which it has no contact to the slide and so it drops down and the slide slams home and chambers a new rd.

i know guys who use this feature as a speed reload/emergency reload technique, but i wouldn't trust it each and every time.

it is more common to semis where the slide stop lever has no extra spring (the glock one has) f.e. 1911s/CZ75s etc. and the recoil spring is also very weak (slide not clamped so hard to the slide stop lever), but it happens from time to time with nearly every semi-auto gun, if the mag is pushed hard enough.

SGT278ACR
10-27-2012, 07:11
Thanks for the input guys. Not too concerned much about it anymore because of all the info above. I usually slingshot the slide when I change mags instead of the slide stop lever. Plus it's a gen2 police trade-in that was manufactured somewhere in the mid 90's, so I know there is some definite wear in the internals simply because of use and age. I've had it about a year now and other than this slide stop issue have had zero issues. It functions fantastically. Still lovin' it. :cool: