Interesting lack of overpenetration **GRAPHIC PICS of pig slaughter** [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting lack of overpenetration **GRAPHIC PICS of pig slaughter**

freakshow10mm
10-26-2012, 22:58
Not scientific my any means. Just an observation.

Last weekend I slaughtered and butchered a pig on my in laws' farm. The killing method I used was a brain shot with my 10mm 1911 Commander using my handload of a 180gr XTP traveling at 1200fps at the muzzle. Distance from muzzle to the pig's head was approximately 2 inches.

When I shot it, the pig immediately dropped down on the ground and then rolled to its right side and its left leg kicked twice and it was still. I hooked it's hind legs on the cable, then cut its neck to bleed out.

After I skinned it and butchered it, I wanted to venture a bit into the terminal ballistics that occurred. All this talk about over penetration with fast and heavy handgun cartridges had me intrigued. Immediately after bleeding it out and washing the body, I noticed the bullet didn't exit the skull.

This is the entrance wound to the skull. I was pretty close to being on the money. The shot favored the pig's right side but was otherwise acceptable placement. Look between the eyes for a little white circle along the blood streak of its forehead.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN0121.jpg

The bleeder cut. Notice the clump of very dark blood.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN0120.jpg

The shot also made the right eye bulge out of the socket. Here is sucked back in a bit, but it was halfway out when I was washing it after bleeding it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN0131.jpg

After butchering, I skinned the head down to the eyes to get the jowl meat. I noted the entrance wound and stuck my knife in the hole to get a trajectory path.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN0146.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN0147.jpg

This is the throat opened up. Note the large collection of very dark blood.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN0148.jpg

So that was the damage done to the head by gunshot. I didn't cut the head apart. I tossed it in the field and anchored it down. The coyotes and birds will clean it and I hope to recover the bullet and see what it looks like. This post is an afterthought. Now I wish I would have opened up the head and looked inside. I'm going to check on the farm this weekend and see if anything touched it. I've heard a rumor that coyotes are very slow to eat the remains of domestic animals.

I actually really thought the bullet would completely penetrate the skull at that distance. I was absolutely certain it would. I waited a while for the best shot and even neglected a few because a log was underneath its head. Based on this, with the velocity at 2 inches from the muzzle versus, say, at 20-some feet during an attack, if it didn't pass through at a 2 inch shot, I don't think it would pass through at a 20 foot shot. Your thoughts on it?

I've had pass throughs at much longer distances than this.

Zombie Steve
10-26-2012, 23:20
Must be your reloading prowess... 10mm should have left a bo-hueeemouth crater in the earf. :whistling:

Seriously... that close, that fast... the bullet flattened out and dumped all its energy very quickly. I bet a 20-some foot shot would have penetrated better as it wouldn't have expanded as fast or as completely. XTP's have a reputation for penetration, but they're still made to grab meat and open up.

Bottom line - .44 mag rules. :okie:

sig357fan
10-27-2012, 00:06
I though penetration was measured in ballistic gelatin that is saposta be an analog for soft tissue.

Are there any penetration tests done on heavy bone, which is what I would think a pig skull would be.

I would like to see not only how far it penetrated into the skull but how your round reacted with the bone of the skull.

Sig357fan

freakshow10mm
10-27-2012, 01:07
XTP's have a reputation for penetration, but they're still made to grab meat and open up.
That's why I thought it would pass through.

I would like to see not only how far it penetrated into the skull but how your round reacted with the bone of the skull.

Sig357fan
Me too. I've got 3 more pigs at the farm to slaughter. They're going to have a professional butcher do the butchering, even though I offered to do it. I'm the family "hitman" so I'm at least doing the slaughter and bleeding before they are dropped off at the butcher. I'm going to try and talk him into letting me sever the heads for inspection.

Dalton Wayne
10-27-2012, 01:37
I shot one at that range with a 22 once when I was younger...
Boy did it get pissed :rofl:

WiskyT
10-27-2012, 05:58
How do you know it didn't leave the skull? With all that blood, it seems to me that it would be easy to miss a little hole. That bullet could be in the ground under where you shot the pig, the bullet could have done lot's of things. Without the bullet, it's kind of hard to figure it all out.

freakshow10mm
10-27-2012, 08:09
Because there was no exit. I looked for an exit wound before I cut it to bleed it. I didn't find the bullet in the face or in the neck either.

rg1
10-27-2012, 09:11
It's been many years but growing up in the country and hog killing time brought neighbors with their hogs for a community event. The method used humanely was a 22 rimfire rifle with standard 40 gr. solids from a rifle. All dropped instantly like the lights were turned off from a distance of only a few feet. Had to be a straight ahead shot between the eyes. Of the numerous hogs killed only one wasn't instant as the head turned just as the shot was released and evidently the bullet flattened and didn't penetrate. It's been a long time but I remember the fresh chittlin's, making the lard, and Mom's homemade sausage.

98LS-WON
10-27-2012, 09:26
That's the difference between ballistic gel and an actually living thing. Bones and connective tissue have various degrees of hardness vs gelatin which is soft and uniform. I'm pretty sure the skull took a lot of energy off of the bullet and probably flattened it out quite a bit.

shotgunred
10-27-2012, 10:57
My butcher uses a 22 mag for cows.

Zombie Steve
10-27-2012, 11:11
Because there was no exit. I looked for an exit wound before I cut it to bleed it. I didn't find the bullet in the face or in the neck either.

It may have been deflected down the spine and wound up in the chest or lower abdomen... might have penetrated a lot farther than you thought... just not in a straight line.

I've seen a rifle bullet get bounced and travel all the way down the spine inside the vertebrae. It was a one shot stop. :supergrin:

freakshow10mm
10-27-2012, 12:44
I was looking for the bullet the whole time to see if it exited the skull. From what I found, it still should be there. Through butchering, I did not find the bullet in any bone, meat, nor organs.

This is what was left. The head, spine, pelvis, and one leg (to hang it from).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN0152_zps9c0a6933.jpg

WiskyT
10-27-2012, 12:46
It may have been deflected down the spine and wound up in the chest or lower abdomen... might have penetrated a lot farther than you thought... just not in a straight line.

I've seen a rifle bullet get bounced and travel all the way down the spine inside the vertebrae. It was a one shot stop. :supergrin:

That's what I'm wondering about. Bullets do weird things. That bullet could be in Governor Connelly's thigh for all we know.

freakshow10mm
10-27-2012, 12:47
My butcher uses a 22 mag for cows.
I was going to use a .22 rifle, but the pistol was more convenient. I've talked with a guy at work that raises animals for his family. He just uses a sledge hammer to stun them and then cuts them. His father just cuts them and lets them walk the blood out.

WiskyT
10-27-2012, 12:47
I was looking for the bullet the whole time to see if it exited the skull. From what I found, it still should be there. Through butchering, I did not find the bullet in any bone, meat, nor organs.

This is what was left. The head, spine, pelvis, and one leg (to hang it from).

I had an uncle that could pull that bullet from behind your ear.:supergrin:

Zombie Steve
10-27-2012, 13:42
That's what I'm wondering about. Bullets do weird things. That bullet could be in Governor Connelly's thigh for all we know.

Or in "pristine" condition on a stretcher somewhere in Dallas.

DoctaGlockta
10-28-2012, 11:08
I was waiting for the 'Magic Bullet' theories to come up. Took a little longer than I thought.

I'd reload this bullet again. Anyone else?

http://www.jfkmurdersolved.com/images/magicbullet.jpg

Zombie Steve
10-28-2012, 14:01
Nope...

http://www.jfk-info.com/33-3321a.gif

dougader
10-28-2012, 15:54
I shot one at that range with a 22 once when I was younger...
Boy did it get pissed :rofl:

My Dad did that with a steer, and the guy just looked at him and mooed! :cool: