First split pistol case [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First split pistol case

njl
10-27-2012, 00:19
I've seen rifle ammo (.30 carbine Aguila) split on the first or second firing, but I was just sorting some 9mm brass after tumbling, and found my first split 9mm that I can remember. I'll post a pic later...but it's a Win case, split from the mouth about half the length of the case. I think it's one of my reloads (reloaded an unknown number of times...but I'd be surprised if it was more than half a dozen). I pick up range brass, so it could be someone else's...but the primer is silver in color (like the CCI primers I use) and I think factory Win brass uses brass colored primers.

I thought pistol brass was supposed to get lost before it failed...esp when loading on the low end.

shotgunred
10-27-2012, 07:50
Being jack is in hiding put a little duck tape on it and it will be good for a couple more loadings.

I think it is amazing how few seem to split.

njl
10-27-2012, 08:47
This was the best I could manage using my phone camera.

http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/split9mm.jpg

Kwesi
10-27-2012, 08:56
That is what my 10mm cases eventually look like. Don't recall it happening on the 2nd load though.

M24C
10-27-2012, 09:05
I don't remember how many I've seen split over 20 + years of reloading. I would agree with shotgunred I'm more surprised on not seeing more split. It goes to show how well brass holds up.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

chris6424
10-27-2012, 12:58
I don't think it is a big deal, certainly I'm on the 5th. or 6th. reloading of certain cases. Pistol cases I will reload until they split.

PhantomF4E
10-27-2012, 14:49
I have a batch of old PMC 9mm brass around a thousand , that some folks call crap, that is on the 12th reload cycle. I have stepped on a few at the range and tossed those , but none of them have split yet. Now to be fair they are loaded to just shy of standard pressure but they are holding up . I have split some amped up 147's though . All in the way you beat'em up I guess. Bunny farts are easier on the ole'pooper than the full blown rippers LOL...
I'm not one for Jack's duct tape method but JB weld works a treat !!!

njl
10-27-2012, 15:16
When I load 124gr (what I've mostly done), I use a starting load of Universal that does about 1070fps. When I load 147gr, I use a max load of Universal (which is still just on the edge of minor PF). I wonder if that's what split this one.

ron59
10-27-2012, 15:52
I think Jack usually refers to .45ACP as not splitting much.

I've had quite a few 9mm split. I catch it when I'm case gauging, I think it's already weak, when I bell/seat it splits and I don't catch it until then.

I've loaded > 40,000 in the last 3 years.

norton
10-27-2012, 19:52
I have some old nickel cased .38 special brass. It splits on occasion.
Shoot it in a revolver. No biggie.

SJ 40
10-27-2012, 19:58
This was the best I could manage using my phone camera.

http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/split9mm.jpgYuP that's a split case,toss it and replace,shoot until they split and so on. SJ 40

unclebob
10-27-2012, 20:25
Even with my lite loads I still on occasion get a split case. I load the case six times then once more for the lost brass matches. I donít even inspect the brass before loading because a lot of the time you donít get the split until it has been resized or the belling of the case makes it split.

ilgunguygt
10-27-2012, 20:40
My RP 357 and 38 cases do that by about the third or fourth reloading. In 45 acp they will last about 6 or 7. With winchester brass it usually splits on first or second time(.001%) or they go a really long time. Win and Starline are my two favorites.

Zombie Steve
10-28-2012, 00:32
I was helping Jack load up some 9mm once and he came over and asked what the problem was on the 4 or 5 I had set to the side. I said "the brass is split".

He produced a pair of glasses that were closer in size to a blast shield and thick enough where I was sure he could see Mars if he looked in the right direction. After roughly 90 minutes of investigation (he is a trained investigator, after all), he said "Hell, those aren't split enough." and put them in the pile with all the others.

The splits weren't as severe as the one you posted, njl, but I think you could get one more run out of it.

:whistling::supergrin:

ron59
10-28-2012, 10:08
I was helping Jack load up some 9mm once and he came over and asked what the problem was on the 4 or 5 I had set to the side. I said "the brass is split".

He produced a pair of glasses that were closer in size to a blast shield and thick enough where I was sure he could see Mars if he looked in the right direction. After roughly 90 minutes of investigation (he is a trained investigator, after all), he said "Hell, those aren't split enough." and put them in the pile with all the others.

The splits weren't as severe as the one you posted, njl, but I think you could get one more run out of it.

:whistling::supergrin:

If the splits are wide enough that powder could find it's way out... turning a proper load into a "light" load... I would definitely reject it. Otherwise, if it case gauges, shoot it.