Hurricane Sandy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Sandy

Ajon412
10-27-2012, 08:35
For all of those who will be working over the next few days, be careful out there and try to stay dry...I get to work another one.....Yea me....

Officer X
10-27-2012, 09:12
Stay safe

I worked all through Irene, now I'm scheduled to be in on Monday at 0700

Kingarthurhk
10-27-2012, 09:30
I worked through the last hurricane that hit here. The only positive thing I can think about that experience with the power off everywhere, at least it was cool outside.

msu_grad_121
10-27-2012, 14:10
Be safe, brother. These things tend to make people a little nuts. Like I'm tellin you anything you didn't know.

m2hmghb
10-27-2012, 16:58
Yup here we go again. I'm glad I'm not a cop during things like these. If you want a laugh I have a photo from Irene. Be safe out there ya'll.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/m2hmghb/hurricane/63312bb7.jpg

3 cars stuck on the bridge in flood waters and 2 idiots wading out to one of them.

Officer X
10-27-2012, 17:03
Yup here we go again. I'm glad I'm not a cop during things like these. If you want a laugh I have a photo from Irene. Be safe out there ya'll.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/m2hmghb/hurricane/63312bb7.jpg

3 cars stuck on the bridge in flood waters and 2 idiots wading out to one of them.

Happens every time that area floods, never fails. People will drive right around the barriers to drive into that water

Patchman
10-27-2012, 18:35
I'm off Sunday and Monday and had originally planned on getting my garden ready for Winter. Now not sure what plan "B" is going to be!

ClydeG19
10-27-2012, 21:38
My dad retired from the power company in May. I bet he's looking forward to not having to work 14 hour days for 7 days post storm.

RussP
10-27-2012, 21:56
Y'all stay safe...

Rex G
10-28-2012, 00:22
Y'all take good care up there to the east and north! I'll pray for y'all.

Ike, Rita, Katrina, and Allison were the memorable storms down here, since I started wearing the badge, so I appreciate what is about to happen with Sandy, though I have never seen a bad snowstorm, so can only speculate about that part.

Clutch Cargo
10-28-2012, 01:30
I got picked to work at Homestead AFB during a hurricane ciirca 1979. The entire base was evacuated except for "non-essential" personnel, like me. All air-worthy planes were flown out, all buildings were sandbagged, all traffic sign removed, all two wheeled transportation stored in base gym, every and occupied barracks had a medic. The base was expected to bring a storm surge of 10' of water. As I was on the second floor of the barracks, I made cash, storing stereos and televisions for folks on the first floor.
All the preparation ended up as a drill because the hurricane turned North. We were throwing a frisbee during the worst part.

I evacuated from the Florida Keys, circa 1981, due to a hurricane. I went to stay with friends in Homestead. Homestead had massive flooding.

AngryBassets
10-28-2012, 22:10
I'm the watch commander starting at 1600 tomorrow till 0600. If I can get home; great. If not, I'll sleep in my office till 1600 Tuesday and do it again.

I'm more concerned for my wife and two boys who, despite being in a stout little brick house, will be scared ****less.

For all of those who will be working over the next few days, be careful out there and try to stay dry...I get to work another one.....Yea me....

Stay safe

I worked all through Irene, now I'm scheduled to be in on Monday at 0700

Don't be mad, but I'm hoping it hits up near you guys and not down here. Doesn't look like it's working:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn192/TacticalFats/Forum/Screenshot_2012-10-29-00-08-27.png

My trailer is in Upper, and I'm right across the river from Philly to the southeast.

So, yeah. http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn192/TacticalFats/Forum/owned-1.gif

blueiron
10-28-2012, 22:27
Here is part of the NWS public statement, as quoted:

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES…

1. IF YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO EVACUATE A COASTAL LOCATION BY STATE AND LOCAL OFFICIALS, PLEASE DO SO.

2. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT TO EVACUATE, AND YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO RODE OUT THE ’62 STORM ON THE BARRIER ISLANDS, ASK THEM IF THEY COULD DO IT AGAIN.

3. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT, THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.

Number one and two are logical. Number three is for the rest of the public too smart to listen to logical warnings.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/10/28/the-national-weather-service-statement-sandy-a-very-dangerous-storm/

Hack
10-28-2012, 22:33
It makes me glad my family and I did not make it to the northeast to live there for a while.

Regardless of that, I have y'all and my wife's side of the family in prayer. This is apparently set to be a doozy of a storm.

AngryBassets
10-28-2012, 22:36
It's getting breezy and the light rain comes and goes.

This is going to suck.

blueiron
10-28-2012, 23:05
Hang in there. No one can be rescued or helped if you don't take care of yourself first.

AngryBassets
10-28-2012, 23:09
I'm management now. I excel at taking care of myself first!

Hack
10-28-2012, 23:20
Just be careful, I think you'll do alright. Same for the family.

UpState NY up where some of my in-laws live they are expecting a heck of a lot of flooding, from what we heard from them today. I don't know how Hackensack will do, but I do have in-laws there as well. They are all in our prayers.

AngryBassets
10-28-2012, 23:27
I'm just across the river from Philly; I can hear the fireworks after Eagles and Phillies games.

You know...really close to the track this ***** is going to take!

Hack
10-28-2012, 23:33
That's why I looked up Philly. I seem to remember that for some reason.

m2hmghb
10-28-2012, 23:43
It doesn't matter where it goes, we're still screwed. I'm inland from toms river, we'll be having a merry time here.

AngryBassets
10-29-2012, 00:18
It doesn't matter where it goes, we're still screwed. I'm inland from toms river, we'll be having a merry time here.

Correct. This thing is one of the largest hurricanes in history (but it's ONLY a cat-1 :okie: ) and if you're within 100 miles of the middle of it, you're screwed. And we're all screwed.

ditchdoc24
10-29-2012, 02:05
It's getting breezy and the light rain comes and goes.

This is going to suck.

Embrace the suck. You're management, you should be familiar with the concept:rofl:

Seriously, stay safe and take care of your troops. We're praying for you as well as all the other brothers and sisters stuck out working in this mess.

Morris
10-29-2012, 05:44
I got picked to work at Homestead AFB during a hurricane ciirca 1979. The entire base was evacuated except for "non-essential" personnel, like me. All air-worthy planes were flown out, all buildings were sandbagged, all traffic sign removed, all two wheeled transportation stored in base gym, every and occupied barracks had a medic. The base was expected to bring a storm surge of 10' of water. As I was on the second floor of the barracks, I made cash, storing stereos and televisions for folks on the first floor.
All the preparation ended up as a drill because the hurricane turned North. We were throwing a frisbee during the worst part.

Typhoon party, baby! :drunk:

Ajon412
10-29-2012, 08:40
I got home around 0200 and it wasn't that bad. The low lying areas in and around the Hackensack River in Bergen and Hudson Counties and the Passaic River in Hudson (northern NJ) were already starting to flood local streets and it wasn't even raining yet...This was last nights high tides and I can't want to see what's going to happen today.....Just gotta hold on for the ride....:wavey:

Hack
10-29-2012, 10:39
I got home around 0200 and it wasn't that bad. The low lying areas in and around the Hackensack River in Bergen and Hudson Counties and the Passaic River in Hudson (northern NJ) were already starting to flood local streets and it wasn't even raining yet...This was last nights high tides and I can't want to see what's going to happen today.....Just gotta hold on for the ride....:wavey:

Sounds like the usual type of stuff with a hurricane. At least it is only CAT 1.

m2hmghb
10-29-2012, 11:35
Sounds like the usual type of stuff with a hurricane. At least it is only CAT 1.

The problem Hack is that it might be the largest hurricane to hit the east coast. Doesn't matter about category. The storm is rated a 5.8 out of 6 for damaging waves, currents, and tides. The other problem is that houses here are not built to the specs used in Florida and other hurricane prone areas. It can be a lot worse then a category number will indicate.

Hack
10-29-2012, 18:05
The problem Hack is that it might be the largest hurricane to hit the east coast. Doesn't matter about category. The storm is rated a 5.8 out of 6 for damaging waves, currents, and tides. The other problem is that houses here are not built to the specs used in Florida and other hurricane prone areas. It can be a lot worse then a category number will indicate.

I see. Kind of reminds me concerning things about earthquakes in Missouri. Subject to those they are, but a lot of buildings are not built to specs for the next big one from New Madrid fault.

CAcop
10-29-2012, 22:26
Stay safe and dry out there guys.

It was rough out here in Cali. It was 70. The nugget roller blading through town with the bikini top had to wear yoga pants to stay warm.

RWBlue
10-30-2012, 16:46
It rained. The wind blew. And then it was over. No big deal.