Hazmat [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hazmat

RustyFN
10-27-2012, 09:19
I have been reading on a few different forums lately that people have been hearing that primers and smokeless powder are going to be taken off the list. I asked one of the UPS engineers that have an office in our DC and he said he hasn't heard anything about that.

robin303
10-27-2012, 09:26
That would be good news for sure.

Atomic Punk
10-27-2012, 09:29
while that would be really nice from a buyers perspective. that seems like a really bad idea from the transporters perspective.

shotgunred
10-27-2012, 10:13
That would be nice.

WiskyT
10-27-2012, 12:50
I really doubt it. Even hairspray is ORM-D. Maybe they will make it ORM-D and it won't need a fee? Liquid asphalt is hazmat and the entire country is paved in it. It's considered "hot" so it has to be placarded.

upstech76
10-27-2012, 12:57
I'm and Industrial Engineer for UPS and haven't heard anything about this either. Its my understanding this isn't a UPS rule its actually a D.O.T. rule. They even regulate how much we can have in a single trailer without having to put Hazmat plaques on the trailer.

michael e
10-27-2012, 13:36
Would be nice, but then I might look crazy ording so much since the trying to justify the haz mat fee would be out the door.

Atomic Punk
10-27-2012, 14:45
They even regulate how much we can have in a single trailer without having to put Hazmat plaques on the trailer.

1,000 lbs

Boxerglocker
10-27-2012, 15:32
Never gonna happen. I do a HAZMAT handle recert every year and have for the last 15. There are very specific reason why smokeless HAZMAT and rightly so.

fredj338
10-29-2012, 14:10
WHy would they? It's a money maker for UPS, they don't handle anything diff, just charge you more.

WiskyT
10-29-2012, 15:48
WHy would they? It's a money maker for UPS, they don't handle anything diff, just charge you more.

It wouldn't be up to UPS, the Feds regulate that kind of stuff.

bush pilot
10-29-2012, 16:13

The Feds do regulate hazmat, the carriers decide what they're going to charge for haz fees. For the amount they charge vs the extra put forth they're sticking it to the paying party.

fredj338
10-29-2012, 18:07
As noted, the Feds don't fix the price, just that the HM has to be labeled & handled a certain way. UPS could do it for virtually free, the diff in handling is minimal. So again, they aren't likely to do anything but raise the cost. Thank the higher gas prices for a lot of that.

WiskyT
10-29-2012, 18:13
As noted, the Feds don't fix the price, just that the HM has to be labeled & handled a certain way. UPS could do it for virtually free, the diff in handling is minimal. So again, they aren't likely to do anything but raise the cost. Thank the higher gas prices for a lot of that.

I never said otherwise. I'm only addressing the point that UPS can't "do away" with the hazmat status.

fredj338
10-30-2012, 08:47
I never said otherwise. I'm only addressing the point that UPS can't "do away" with the hazmat status.

They could in affect by charging $1 per package but when the govt dictates anything, then you have an excuse to charge what you like. Another thing that could be changed w/ the right people in govt.:whistling:

TheExplorer
10-30-2012, 08:51
while that would be really nice from a buyers perspective. that seems like a really bad idea from the transporters perspective.

Agreed. And because of that, I doubt this will happen.

Boxerglocker
10-30-2012, 13:33

No carrier can afford to give it away for free. The training requirement for DOT HAZMAT is mandated for any and all employees of a particular employer that may inadvertently come in contact with HAZMAT during the course of transportation. It's a federally mandated and it ain't cheap. Think of the thousands of UPS, FED EX or USPS employees. Every single one is mandated to receive training. That goes for clerks store, drivers, cargo handlers, pilots.... everyone.
I worked for a FAA FAR 135 Cargo operation for 13 years as a maintenance supervisor, our main client was UPS, as a feeder line for destinations in Up and Down the west coast. Every single employee was mandated to receive training, pilots, mechanic, handlers, sorter, even dispatchers. One of my duties was to track and maintain the training log ensuring all employees were in compliance. There are several levels of training dependent on your position. Anywhere from a one day to three day to 2 weeks.