Is $.50/lb too much for new wheel weights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is $.50/lb too much for new wheel weights?

XshooterX
10-27-2012, 10:07
I'm having trouble finding lead to cast bullets. I found these at a local scrap yard. Should I keep looking? Or is that reasonable. I know ingots can be had for around $1.00/lb...is the extra cost worth not having to smelt?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

michael e
10-27-2012, 10:09
I know the wheel weights we have been getting at work for the last few years are no longer lead. So just make sure they are actually lead.
Not sure if thats a good price, I haven't started casting my own yet, but was given all the old ones we had a work so I have a large supply to use if I ever get around to casting.

shotgunred
10-27-2012, 10:12
that a reasonable price.

XshooterX
10-27-2012, 12:24
I know the wheel weights we have been getting at work for the last few years are no longer lead. So just make sure they are actually lead.

I recently learned that so I was sure to ask. These are actually separate from all the others because they are new, unused lead weights. I don't know why 1000 lbs of brand new weights got scrapped, but they set them aside just for the guys that come in looking for bullet casting lead.

WiskyT
10-27-2012, 12:43
I recently learned that so I was sure to ask. These are actually separate from all the others because they are new, unused lead weights. I don't know why 1000 lbs of brand new weights got scrapped, but they set them aside just for the guys that come in looking for bullet casting lead.

They might be new old stock and it's after whatever date your state decided to ban lead weights. What state are you in?

It's easy to verify if they are lead if they are not in some kind of packaging that identifies them as lead. Just bring a pair of cutting pliers with you and try to pinch a few of them. The cutters should leave an obvious mark on the weight without too much effort. Zinc etc are noticably hard and you really have to bear down on the pliers to make even a slight mark.

If they are lead, it's a good deal. There will be very little waste since all you'll have left is the clips. New ones should make less smoke when you render them down too, which is nice. Old WW are nasty to melt down. Tire dust is all over them and they make black, burning rubber smoke.

XshooterX
10-27-2012, 14:32
The guy that showed them to me actually cut some in half with a large pair of side cutters. They are very shiny too. I think I'll go ahead and pick some up next week. BTW, I'm in TX. I don't know the laws for sure but I doubt that they've been banned here. I know all of the mom & pop tire shops around here reuse the old weights. And the chain stores all sell them to Interstate Battery.

WiskyT
10-27-2012, 14:59
The guy that showed them to me actually cut some in half with a large pair of side cutters. They are very shiny too. I think I'll go ahead and pick some up next week. BTW, I'm in TX. I don't know the laws for sure but I doubt that they've been banned here. I know all of the mom & pop tire shops around here reuse the old weights. And the chain stores all sell them to Interstate Battery.

Yeah, TX wouldn't ban them on their own. Maybe the Fed regulations have gone into effect? Maybe they are out of spec somehow for normal use? Are they clip on or the stick on tape type? The tape ones are soft, nearly pure lead, while the clip-ons are harder.

countrygun
10-27-2012, 15:18
FWIW in case you haven't thought of it.

The clip ons usually have a hole in the clip. I use a piece if wire and string them like a necklace and put them in the pot. when they melt I pull the wire out and the clips with it all at once.

Just tossing it out there as a helpful tip

LazuR
10-27-2012, 15:22
At my work we sell used weights. 2 gallon bucket for $20. Weighs about 40lbs on average. We separate the lead from steel for customers.

countrygun
10-27-2012, 15:25
At my work we sell used weights. 2 gallon bucket for $20. Weighs about 40lbs on average. We separate the lead from steel for customers.

Hey I am on the south coast, you could become my friend:supergrin:

RustyFN
10-27-2012, 18:06
FWIW in case you haven't thought of it.

The clip ons usually have a hole in the clip. I use a piece if wire and string them like a necklace and put them in the pot. when they melt I pull the wire out and the clips with it all at once.

Just tossing it out there as a helpful tip

That's a pretty cool trick, never thought of that. Unfortunatly I melt too big a quantity to try that. I use a six quart dutch oven and it will hold around 80 pounds at a time.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d739b3127ccec5715473cfb900000040O00DZOGblm4Yg9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

countrygun
10-27-2012, 18:16
That's a pretty cool trick, never thought of that. Unfortunatly I melt too big a quantity to try that. I use a six quart dutch oven and it will hold around 80 pounds at a time.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d739b3127ccec5715473cfb900000040O00DZOGblm4Yg9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Well, you're excused then.:wavey:

:supergrin:

dstanley66
10-27-2012, 18:22
I need to start casting my own or sale all this lead, I get 4lb. lead hammers from work for free, still not sure if I want to shoot lead in my guns yet.

LazuR
10-31-2012, 23:53
Hey I am on the south coast, you could become my friend:supergrin:

I think shipping might be quite expensive. I wouldn't mind saving some for you.

jmorris
11-01-2012, 08:16
Sounds kind of high to me. They are getting harder to find these days but find small local type stores and bribe the kid that does all the work with cold beer. Make sure he's 21 or they will be pretty costly then too.

BHP9
11-01-2012, 09:02
They are now using zinc for wheel weights and have been for 5 or 6 years now. Truck and coach weights may still be lead, but I would doubt it now, having been out of the biz for almost 5 years.

Good luck in your search.

Happypuppy
11-01-2012, 10:09
I used to be able to get the, when I reloaded at junk yards pretty cheaply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NightTrainHD
11-01-2012, 11:14
I run an auto repair shop in Houston and I give the weights away when the 5 gallon buckets get full. I will post up next time they are full if anyone wants to come get them.

XshooterX
11-01-2012, 12:34
I run an auto repair shop in Houston and I give the weights away when the 5 gallon buckets get full. I will post up next time they are full if anyone wants to come get them.

Man, I wish I could find that kind of deal around Dallas.

fredj338
11-01-2012, 13:17
Shipping is actually quite cheap thru USPS FR boxes. You can send me 65# for $15 anytime you like. Let me know, I'll send you $20 anytime for 65# of lead ww.:supergrin:

countrygun
11-01-2012, 14:18

Well i do get over in the valley for shopping trips, when I have a good reason.

WiskyT
11-01-2012, 16:23
They are now using zinc for wheel weights and have been for 5 or 6 years now. Truck and coach weights may still be lead, but I would doubt it now, having been out of the biz for almost 5 years.

Good luck in your search.

I got a couple of buckets from a truck shop a couple of years ago. About one third were zinc or steel. Even the large 6 Oz weights were steel or zinc. I don't bother with WW anymore.

I used to get the mechanics in the bays giving them to me and then the manager, some college kid type that all these chains hire to manage the places, coming out and telling me I couldn't have them.

I just use the scrap from my clubs indoor range. The jackets float on top and the lead is free and plentiful. It's not that hard, but it works fine even in full 357Mag loads as long as I use the right burning speed powder.

If someone had lead WW for a good deal, or free, like the OP found, I'd get them. To just run them down by trying out tire shops isn't worth the effort for me.

LazuR
11-01-2012, 19:10
Well i do get over in the valley for shopping trips, when I have a good reason.

When I'm at work tomorrow, I will see how much we have if you'd like?

mongo356
11-04-2012, 00:21
Just tossing this out there for fellow reloaders. I was in a gun shop the other day that had 80lbs of lead for sale. They were already cast into wafers of pure lead and some bars of wheel weights.
huntingstuff.net I'm not sure about shipping costs.
Salem IL. They will have contact info on their website.
I know that every year it seems to be harder to find.