Buying Skill or Gear [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying Skill or Gear

mjkeat
10-27-2012, 13:27
This is a great read. I think a lot can be taken from it. Sticky worthy.

I also recommend following them on Facebook if that's your thing.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/10/27/canipe-correspondence-buying-gear-versus-buying-skills/

Sent from my DROID RAZR while Tapatalk 2

WoodenPlank
10-27-2012, 13:32
This is a great read. I think a lot can be taken from it. Sticky worthy.

I also recommend following them on Facebook if that's your thing.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/10/27/canipe-correspondence-buying-gear-versus-buying-skills/

Sent from my DROID RAZR while Tapatalk 2

As per usual, Jon makes some great points. He kicked my nuts in quite a while back when I was still using a single-point sling. In all honesty, it was probably one of the most on-point and factually correct verbal beatings I have ever heard, and I was the victim of it...:crying:

seamaster
10-27-2012, 14:11
Excellent advice.

Matthew Courtney
10-27-2012, 14:31
As per usual, Jon makes some great points. He kicked my nuts in quite a while back when I was still using a single-point sling. In all honesty, it was probably one of the most on-point and factually correct verbal beatings I have ever heard, and I was the victim of it...:crying:

I like the fact that he points out several ways to train that are inexpensive. Training does not have to involve High dollar instructors and/or a whole bunch of ammo. A lot of dry work braced by a box of live fire each month can tune one's skills to a pretty high level.

Sure, taking a class with one's buddies and blazing through a case or two of ammo is great fun, and it can be a path toward developing real skills, but it is not the only path.

arclight610
10-27-2012, 14:46
I'll take gear over skill anyday

WoodenPlank
10-27-2012, 19:16
I like the fact that he points out several ways to train that are inexpensive. Training does not have to involve High dollar instructors and/or a whole bunch of ammo. A lot of dry work braced by a box of live fire each month can tune one's skills to a pretty high level.

Sure, taking a class with one's buddies and blazing through a case or two of ammo is great fun, and it can be a path toward developing real skills, but it is not the only path.

This is true, assuming someone is building on solid fundamentals. Practicing crap techniques in your living room won't help much.

Not sure if serious...

NeverMore1701
10-27-2012, 19:17
This is true, assuming someone is building on solid fundamentals. Practicing crap techniques in your living room won't help much.

Not sure if serious...

Some people here are completely serious about that.

K. Foster
10-27-2012, 21:08
That was spot on!

faawrenchbndr
10-28-2012, 04:36

:faint:

surf
10-28-2012, 12:04
When it comes to real life shooting events, be it training courses or just range days, it is painfully clear who the "internet shooters" are. Meaning the types that talk a good shooting game on the internet, as in those who can spew stuff they read verbatim as if they have some kind of first hand knowledge on the topics, but can't shoot for **** in real life. Also painfully clear are the "gear queers" as mentioned in the article. Those who buy everything and still suck balls. If you talk a good game on the www. or have the best stuff and act like you know how to use it all, then you should put up or shut up. Shut up as in along the lines of read more, post less and get your ass out there and do more quality shooting, be it for fun, for defense, or for pure recreation, or a combination of some or all. On the other hand if you are realistic about your knowledge and skills and let it be known, then no harm in how you spend your money.

Many of us have been preaching the topics in that article for years, trying to inject or attempt to bring reason to the unreasonable. The www. is a good example of this. Unfortunately the anonymity of the internet often leads to an over abundance of jackasses who really don't know, what they don't know, but act like they have a clue. Fortunately many of the "internet jackasses" are usually more than a bit reserved when you actually meet them in real life, especially on a range, as it is hard to talk a good game there. Of course there are those who talk a good game and can back that up also and more power to them. :)

VZ1600
10-28-2012, 13:38

lol...

Sent from my iPhone.

Big Bird
10-28-2012, 14:05
You see it in almost every hobby. Golf, hunting, fishing, you name it...

Buy more stuff = better than get good with the stuff you have.

Every time I've paid for some instruction I always walk away and say that was money well spent.

The best money I ever spent golfing--was on gold lessons.

The best money I ever spent on pistols and shotguns--was the two weeks I spent at Gunsite for their courses. The best $150 I've ever spent on ARs was a day long Vicker's course.

mjkeat
10-28-2012, 14:16
I shoot w/ a kid who is a gear queer to the bone. The first time I took a class w/ him (handgun 1) he wouldn't stop talking to me. All he wanted to do was talk about "cool" gear. Then class started. This kid could shoot w/o a doubt. His fundamentals were 100%. He was fast and accurate as well.

Talking gear on the sidelines or at work can be a lot of fun. Having cool gear is nice. Smoking dudes on the range, priceless.

Personally I'm not as consistant as I'd like. I have days I can't get it wrong then days I can't get it right.

Instruction, rounds down range (buying skill) helps tighten up loose ends.

Travclem
10-28-2012, 15:03
Sadly, a lot of people here feel the same way.