Busted my Glock cherry with a Gen4 17 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Busted my Glock cherry with a Gen4 17

Lostinthewoods
10-27-2012, 16:13
Update: 11/19/12

Well I finally got to the range and put 350 rounds of a mix of WWB and UMC 115gr FMJ. I had zero malfunctions and no BTF issues. Ejection very consistent at ~4:00. I used a mix of the factory 10 round mags (remember that I live in NY) , some pre-ban gen2 square notch mags and one gen1 U notch mag. All worked equally well.

Accuracy was very good and the pistol hit POA/POI for me. I really do not like the sights and find them slow to acquire. I will be replacing them.

I did some experimenting with a Grip Force Adapter and indeed found that the pistol did point a little better for me. By that I mean that from a draw the front sight pointed a little lower. I was using the smooth Gen 4 GFA with the medium back strap.

I'm not really thrilled with the trigger. The pull weight on my pistol measured with an RCBS gauge is about 7.25lbs out of the box. I had hoped it would lessen with few hundred rounds but that doesn't seem to be the case. I did some polishing with Flitz and the trigger feels a little smoother but nothing changed as far as pull weight. I do love the reset though!

As I hope to run some USPSA production class matches along with some plate matches I would like to bring the trigger pull down a little. This pistol may end up pulling double duty as a defensive weapon so I am not looking for 2.5-3.5lb trigger. I would be very happy to have a clean breaking trigger in the 4.5-5lb weight.

I decided to add a -connector after reading some posts here. That brought the trigger pull down to 6.5lbs. Better but it is still heavier than I am used to. I am going to leave it like this for now.

I love the simplicity of the design of this pistol. I can detail strip it in no time. With that said there is a lot of drag on the trigger. Most of this comes from the trigger bar dragging on the frame but also from the raised bump that drags on the slide. This is in stark contrast to my M&P's. I don't know if this drag can be reduced while retaining Glock factory parts.

I also swapped out the mag release for the Vickers unit. This works much better for me. I found the stock release difficult to operate without changing my grip considerably. (I am suffering from tendonitis which is limiting the strength of my grip.)I am also trying out a Glock extended slide stop. The jury is out on the extended slide stop.

Hoping to put another 3-400 rounds down range this week.

Original Post:

I have been wanting to put some time in on a Glock for for a while now. I have tried a few and liked them but never enough to buy one. I figured if I was ever going to give the Glock a fair shake I would need to take the plunge. I did a little research and started looking for a nice gen 3 17. For what the used guns were going for I figured I'd just buy a new one. My local dealer had a pretty good selection. I was torn between a new FDE Gen 3 and the black Gen 4 that he had in stock. In the past I found the extra grip of the RTF and RTF2 guns to my liking. The triggers on both pistols felt identical. So the texture of the Gen 4 swayed me.

The trigger is a little heavier than I am used to and measured almost 7.25lbs on my RCBS trigger scale. I will fire it a few hundred rounds at least before I consider any modifications. I'm not nuts about the sights and will likely replace them with Warren tactical two dot night sights if I keep it. I have the Warren tactical rear sight on every one of my other pistols which include Sig's, M&P's. and a Smith E-Series 1911.

While inspecting both pistols at my dealer I was surprised to see a few light tool marks on the inside of the slide. Nothing that will effect function but there none the less. Not a deal breaker for me. I really like the lightly textured and slightly shinny finish on the slide and expect it to wear as well as any other Glock.

After getting it home and playing around with the back straps I found that the pistol seems to point a little more naturally for me with the Medium strap. I do find the SF configuration more comfy feeling but I found that while dry firing from a draw that I tended to consistently aim high. This is probably a result from trying a new platform and something I am sure will go away with training.

I plan on shooting this pistol exclusively for the next few months in order to develop a good appreciation my capabilities with it. I will have to shop around for a bunch of pre-ban 17 round mags as I live in NY where we live under an assault weapons ban that mimics the expired fed ban. I do have a few square notched pre-ban mags that I bought for my Sub 2000 but not enough for the mag whore that I am. If anyone has any good sources besides the inflated prices on the auction sites please feel free to PM me.

I expect that I will be posting regular updates here for the next few months and look forward to getting to know you this forum.

Here is a pic for those that need to see it. Looks just like every other Gen 4 17 out there...

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/Lostinthewoods_photos/gen4G17.jpg

SCC
10-27-2012, 16:26
Nice !!!
WELCOME TO GT ...

SJ 40
10-27-2012, 16:41
Welcome and Congrats on the G 17 ! SJ 40

Bruce M
10-27-2012, 16:56
:wavey: Best of luck with your G17.

Maxx702
10-27-2012, 20:03
Welcome to GT. I think you will like the G17.
Personally, I found myself liking the stock trigger and got used to it real quick.

Let us know your impressions after a few trips to the range.

skyboss_4evr
10-27-2012, 20:16
Congrats!

Glock40man
10-27-2012, 22:41
Welcome to GT and, Congrats on the G17!:cool:

gunsmoke92
10-27-2012, 22:55
:welcome: Welcome to the forum. You've made a fine choice with the 17, enjoy.

hsprincipal
10-28-2012, 11:46
17 gen4 is a great firearm. Congrats!!

bac1023
10-28-2012, 11:56
:welcome: and congrats

The Pirate
10-28-2012, 11:58
Awesome!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MikeG36
10-28-2012, 12:26