Purchases with GSSF in mind? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Purchases with GSSF in mind?

Seale Team
10-27-2012, 19:05
Just curious how many of you have made original or additional Glock purchases for the purpose of GSSF Matches?

This topic arose earlier when I was discussing that the Matches promoted sales. Seems not everyone feels the matches are a money maker for Glock.

youngann
10-27-2012, 19:53
I bought my first Glock specifically for shooting GSSF. My first 3 weeks of shooting were with a revolver. Then the range owner said he wanted me to shoot GSSF and lent me a G17. I liked it so much that I bought one.

DannyR
10-27-2012, 21:01
I've bought several Glocks just for GSSF outdoor matches. When I started running the indoor series in Roanoke back in July 2010, most of my competitors used borrowed Glocks. Now my group of 40 shooters all own one or more Glocks.

GSSF is a marketing tool for Glock and has been since day one over 20 years ago.

SARDG
10-27-2012, 21:10
The only Glock I bought specifically for GSSF is my highly modified G34 Unlimited gun. Every other Glock has been purchased (or won, and selected) with 'carry' or all my competitive disciplines in mind - mostly IDPA and Steel.

TK-421
10-27-2012, 21:12
I bought my first glock for concealed carry, but my next purchase will probably be through the GSSF for the reduced price, and it will be a competition gun. Would I have bought it even if the GSSF didn't exist? Yes, because I like Glocks and I want to own as many firearms as I can. However, the GSSF just allows me to buy one for cheap, which means I can spend the money I saved on a few accessories to assist me in the competitions.

Keyhole
10-27-2012, 21:23
Got the G17 just for GSSF.

stak
10-27-2012, 22:15
Both the 17 and 34 were bought for GSSF. The 26 will be too. Then I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to get for Heavy Metal and Major Sub. One for them both or two separate guns - I haven't decided yet.

TK-421
10-27-2012, 22:20
Both the 17 and 34 were bought for GSSF. The 26 will be too. Then I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to get for Heavy Metal and Major Sub. One for them both or two separate guns - I haven't decided yet.

One for each. Why buy one gun when you can buy two? :tongueout:

misunderestimated
10-27-2012, 22:45
Just curious how many of you have made original or additional Glock purchases for the purpose of GSSF Matches?

This topic arose earlier when I was discussing that the Matches promoted sales. Seems not everyone feels the matches are a money maker for Glock.

I would say GSSF encourages guns sales.All of the people i have brought to a match have ended up purchasing a gun or two . I have also been getting a set of competition only guns some of them I have paid for at the discounted price and some of them I have won thru GSSF random guns awards. They give away allot of guns at matches .I dont think glock is able to put money in there pocket at the end of the year from the GSSF division ,But I do think its good for Glock to support and encourage the shooting sports.

PM720
10-27-2012, 23:28
I bought my G30sf specifically for GSSF HM and MajSub, I also shoot it in Subcompact. My G35 got transformed into a G22 and is used pretty much in GSSF only as well. :supergrin:

Scott

Melissa5
10-28-2012, 06:49
Yes, I've bought several Glocks specifically for GSSF.

bryandover
10-28-2012, 07:06
All of my Glocks were purchased for GSSF and since have switched to Glock for USPSA.

JonInWA
10-28-2012, 07:28
My first Glock, a G17, was bought specifically for GSSF participation, as was a much later G34. Their venues have much expanded since, to include IDPA and carry.

The darn things have also multiplied, growing to include a G21 and 2 G19s (one won at a Portland OR GSSF match).

GSSF is clearly a marketing opportunity for Glock-but it's also a great sport, and they're excellent pistols.

Best, Jon

ede
10-28-2012, 07:57
Best I can remember I've got the following with GSSF in mind, some were GSSF award guns so not all were bought.
4X G17
4x G22
G17C
G21C
G17L
G24
G24C
G26
G30
2x G34
G35
G36
2x G37
G38
G39

Looking at my list I never used any of the Cs nor the 17L, or 38 and the 36 only to rob a slide from for the G30. Also have or am using a G27 and G21 I never bought for GSSF. I also have or had a G17, G20, and G22 for USPSA.

CUTigers2002
10-28-2012, 08:21
Got my 17L specifically for GSSF. Got a new Gen 4 17, just because I won it, but use it for GSSF now. I've also slowly moved from 1 division, to 2, and just recently shot 3 divisions for the first time at the Charleston, SC match. Also have purchased a LOT of mags, just for GSSF, so I don't have to reload at the match.

I remember back in 06, my first match at Conyers, was also my brother-in-laws first match. He was/is still big on Beretta's, but left the match wanting to buy a Glock. I laughed, and told him I wasn't surprised, as we were basically in a 3/4 hour infomercial for Glocks! He has one Glock, and my collection, which was one Glock at the time, has greatly expanded since that day 6 years ago....

I can also think of at least a dozen people I've introduced to GSSF, almost all of them now owning Glocks, and having attended at least one match.

In my case, I'd say Glock has made money off my friends/family due to GSSF...and I'm very happy about that!

bigtimelarry
10-28-2012, 08:30
I bought 3 glocks because of GSSF..

ron59
10-28-2012, 09:52
I bought my G30SF solely for GSSF.
I had only been shooting my G17 in Am Civ and Competition and noticed that the top Amateur scores weren't super low, thought I could be competitive there. Yeah, think I've won ~$300 with it so far, it was a good investment.

I have 4 Glocks now (G17, G26, G30SF, G34) and only the G30SF was bought solely *for* GSSF. A buddy of mine heard me talking about GSSF, came out and practiced with my G17 some and I talked him into coming to a nearby match with me, he shared my gun and had a good time. He ended up buying his OWN G17 to shoot. He has not shot any other discipline yet, just GSSF.

I suspect buying guns FOR GSSF happens more than you might think.

Seale Team
10-28-2012, 10:03
Got my 17L specifically for GSSF. Got a new Gen 4 17, just because I won it, but use it for GSSF now. I've also slowly moved from 1 division, to 2, and just recently shot 3 divisions for the first time at the Charleston, SC match. Also have purchased a LOT of mags, just for GSSF, so I don't have to reload at the match.

I remember back in 06, my first match at Conyers, was also my brother-in-laws first match. He was/is still big on Beretta's, but left the match wanting to buy a Glock. I laughed, and told him I wasn't surprised, as we were basically in a 3/4 hour infomercial for Glocks! He has one Glock, and my collection, which was one Glock at the time, has greatly expanded since that day 6 years ago....

I can also think of at least a dozen people I've introduced to GSSF, almost all of them now owning Glocks, and having attended at least one match.

In my case, I'd say Glock has made money off my friends/family due to GSSF...and I'm very happy about that !

Very good post and really proves my case. Thanks!

Boot Stomper
10-28-2012, 23:15
What is the best gun to start with at GSSF. I have a G22 and G27. Both were bought for carry. Was thinking about getting a G17C or G34C for GSSF. Opinions PLEASE.

My G27 and G22 are still stock, but I did add extended slide release on both. I have a Lonewolf metal guide rod, but that is easy to change back if need be.

mike g35
10-29-2012, 17:04
What is the best gun to start with at GSSF. I have a G22 and G27. Both were bought for carry. Was thinking about getting a G17C or G34C for GSSF. Opinions PLEASE.

My G27 and G22 are still stock, but I did add extended slide release on both. I have a Lonewolf metal guide rod, but that is easy to change back if need be.

There are a million threads about this. Most agree its the G17. I shot 3 divisions with my 17 in Lexington, could've shot UL with it also but I shot my open div. G22 instead. It's hard to beat a G17 for GSSF, the soft shooting 9mm is faster than larger calibers, however your G22 will allow you to shoot the same divisions as a 17. And your G27 will be fine for Subcompact division.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cookselk
10-29-2012, 17:40
I started by looking for a pistol for USPSA production class. It came down to either a Smith & Wesson M&P or a Glock. I knew a Master GSSF shooter who had been very successful so I picked a G34. Reading more about GSSF by the time of my first match I owned a 17, 26, and a 30SF.

By the time of my 3rd match I had added a 24C and there I won 3 pistols. I selected a 17C, 20C, and a 35OD. The 20C I picked for hunting (I got a deer that fall with it) and the 35 for USPSA Limited class. By this time I had converted my old 2nd gen. 17 to an unlimited gun and used its barrel in my 17C for Master Stock. With the advent of Heavy Metal I obtained a non-ported glock barrel for the 20C and shot my last match with it. Since then I also obtained a 4th gen FDE 17 to possibly replace my other 17 in master stock. I've used it as a test platform for fiber optic sights but the jury is still out whether I will make the switch. I also traded for a used 17L with the idea of using it instead of my 24C for competition but it looks like I can shoot the 40 better. Currently I am waiting for a 21G4 that I won this summer and will compare it to the 20 to see if I want to use it for heavy metal. 10mm brass is expensive and I don't like to leave it on the ground. My next Glock will be another 17 so I can build a better unlimited gun with the knowledge I have gained from my experiences and of those on this forum. After that......who knows.

As you can see with the exception of the 35 all of my pistols were obtained with GSSF in mind. I think Glock has a brilliant marketing department, if it wasn't for GSSF I probably would only have maybe 2-3 Glocks.

PM720
10-29-2012, 17:56

I think most will tell you to get the 17 and that is good advice. I will probably end up switching to a 17 for my main competition gun. However, you might try getting some AAA .40 minor for your G22. It almost seems softer than 9mm to me. :supergrin:

Scott

njl
10-29-2012, 19:19
I bought a 21SF when they opened up MajorSub to full size Glocks, and then a 30SF when MajorSub went back to being just for subs. This season, I don't know if I'll shoot HeavyMetal, MajorSub, AmCiv, or some combination of the three. This could get expensive. I don't think I've ever shot more than 2 divisions per match.

SARDG
10-29-2012, 20:23
I bought a 21SF when they opened up MajorSub to full size Glocks, and then a 30SF when MajorSub went back to being just for subs. This season, I don't know if I'll shoot HeavyMetal, MajorSub, AmCiv, or some combination of the three. This could get expensive. I don't think I've ever shot more than 2 divisions per match.
I've shot 7 Divisions before when I could and 6 Divisions in Mobile and frankly, with ROing 2 days and setup on Fridays, it's just plain too many Divisions - and a great way to potentially chew up 600-700 rounds.

PM720
10-29-2012, 22:26
I've shot 7 Divisions before when I could and 6 Divisions in Mobile and frankly, with ROing 2 days and setup on Fridays, it's just plain too many Divisions - and a great way to potentially chew up 600-700 rounds.

But it increases your random chances!! :supergrin:

Scott

Boot Stomper
10-30-2012, 06:43
Thanks for all the advise so far. I was wanting a G17 with lower 9mm cost.

So my next question, which G17?? G17, G17C? Gen 3? Gen 4? I realize there are a lot of opinions on this, but this is always fun.

I was leaning G17C gen 3. Gen 4 G17C are not being made. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don At PC
10-30-2012, 06:52
If you are looking for a GSSF Gun a 17C or any "C" model is a poor choice because a "C" model is only legal in 2 Categories (Unlimited and Competition). The G17 on the other hand is legal in AmCiv/Guardian, Competition, Master Stock, and Unlimited. Now if you are building an Unlimited gun the 17C is a good platform to work with.

Don

SARDG
10-30-2012, 07:29
Thanks for all the advise so far. I was wanting a G17 with lower 9mm cost.

So my next question, which G17?? G17, G17C? Gen 3? Gen 4? I realize there are a lot of opinions on this, but this is always fun.

I was leaning G17C gen 3. Gen 4 G17C are not being made. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Gen 4 17Cs are not being made and likely never will. IF your heart is set on a Gen 3 17C, you would be able to get a G17 unported barrel and throw it in there and shoot it in 'stock' divisions. Otherwise, like Don said, you'll be limiting yourself to 2 tough divisions. A G17 barrel is about $130-$150.

Personally, I am beginning to like my new Gen 4s (17 and 26) - the grip and grip texture and the new stock mag catch (release) is far more easy to manipulate than the Gen 3s, particularly on speed reloads (which you don't have to worry about in GSSF anyway - but looking forward...)

Bryan Dover apparently shoots all Gen 3s and wins enough certificates to replace his arsenal with Gen 4s if he wished, but hasn't - if you want to use him as an example - but what does he know?? :rofl:

malladus
10-30-2012, 08:08
On the original topic, all my Glocks have been bought for GSSF. Bought my 17 the night before the last Crosstimbers match at TacPro. Borrowed a 17L, 26, and 30 at that match so I could shoot 3 more divisons. Got hooked and bought a 34 right after that match and a 26 not much later so I could shoot most of my own guns at San Antonio that year. Picked up a 30 right after that and another 34 that started getting chopped up into a unlimited gun. Then heard rumors of heavy metal and picked up a 21 to be ready and a 17L because I just thought it would be cooler to shoot in competition then a 34. Eventually sold the 21 and the second 34, and finally after winning a gun at Carrolton used the certificate to get a 37 for Heavy Metal.

I will admit that until I started regressing into a wheelgun shooter I shot Glocks in everything else as well, but only because I had gotten them first for GSSF.

malladus