Any Advantage One Way or Another? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Advantage One Way or Another?

unit1069
10-27-2012, 22:19
I have a good supply of premium JHP self-defense ammo in bonded and non-bonded varieties.

Now that cold weather is approaching I'm inclined to favor the bonded variety.

My question is about clothing and not hard barrier penetration. Is a bonded bullet more likely to reliably overcome and expand in soft barriers (clothing) than the non-bonded variety?

M 7
10-27-2012, 22:38
My question is about clothing and not hard barrier penetration. Is a bonded bullet more likely to reliably overcome and expand in soft barriers (clothing) than the non-bonded variety?

It seems so.

Seems like many of the more "recent" (typically less than ten years old) designs like the HST, PDX1, Ranger Bonded, Gold Dot, etc) are bonded JHPs- being more recent these should be more resistant to clogging. Since the FBI test protocols and the IWBA four layer denim seem to do a decent job of "separating the wheat from the chaff", I'd go with a bullet (bonded or unbonded) that passes those tests and load up with that.

attrapereves
10-27-2012, 23:22
Honestly, I don't think clothing makes that much of a difference, even the thickest of coats. Pick a good JHP from any of the major ammo manufacturers, and you should be good to go.

Zombie Steve
10-28-2012, 00:37
Bonding will help it stay together, but I doubt if it has any real effect in initiating expansion. More a function of bullet design, speed / lead alloy composition.

SCmasterblaster
10-28-2012, 13:35
I am concerned about the layers of winter clothing clogging up my 9mm 115gr +p+ JHP bullets. I am thinking about carrying a .45 M1911A1 in the winter here in VT.