Lexington KY Photo and debriefing thread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lexington KY Photo and debriefing thread

mike g35
10-28-2012, 05:14
My iPhone screwed up said this didn't post. Sorry folks.

mike g35
10-28-2012, 05:17
Post your photos and stories here!!!! :)

Somebody had to start LOL 228672228673
(These are photos that were shared by a friend on Facebook, I'm actually on my way there now.)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glockdude1
10-28-2012, 05:51
Get rid of that nickel plated sissy phone and get a real phone!!

Sent from my Galaxy Note.

:tongueout:

PM720
10-28-2012, 08:12
Get rid of that nickel plated sissy phone and get a real phone!!

Sent from my Galaxy Note.

:tongueout:

:wow::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Scott

Alexd29
10-28-2012, 10:33
Hey thats me in the second pic. brown hoodie, green hat, scoresheets in hand!

SARDG
10-28-2012, 10:54
Hey thats me in the second pic. brown hoodie, green hat, scoresheets in hand!
You mean to tell me that there are shooters in that little pic???

Sgt.K
10-28-2012, 12:30
Just got back. Sorry no pics. Had a fantastic time. Will definitely be making the next closest one to me and this one the next time.

I arrived today the 28th around 8 am and got signed up (early) around 8:45 am or so. It was windy and chilly but not unbearable. I was the first shooter at 5 to Glock and as soon as I signed in I was up almost immediately at Glock the Plates. Glock'M had a slight bottleneck but wasn't even 20 minutes I think. The order I did the stages was last to first or farthest away to closest.

BGSL is a nice place. Friendly people all around. Parking at every stage. Big Thanks to them for hosting.

Make sure you utilize the Armorer service. May find out somethings and it's a free through inspection, cleaning and lube.

Bottom line is Join GSSF and attend the next match that is available to you. You will not regret it.

mike g35
10-28-2012, 13:08
Awesome match and an awesome staff. I WILL be back again next year.

Glockrunner
10-28-2012, 13:17

Make sure you utilize the Armorer service. ....

I too arrived early. Heard the GLOCK ARMORERS would only look at guns By Appointment and the next appointment wasn't till noon Sunday!:rofl:

We had a good time even with the dampness. It had just stopped raining and the wind died down once we get to the match site.

While we didn't shoot anything to brag about we got to see many friends and chat about our scores and trips. Did get surprized by seeing Glen and his sugnificent other Tammy there. Didn't get a chance to meet her at Conyers. The Harlands, James and other early birds like the Dyers like us got signed up first to shoot the match.

Had a good BBQ lunch outdoors at the 5 to Glock stages for a hearty meal. Speaking of the 5 To Glock we got to shoot 2 categories before going down to score. That should have helped more shooters along too.

Yea, the weather helped keep people at bay for Saturady. I think they might have gotten swamped today with a forcast of nicer weather. It wasn't the matches of yesteryear I recall there but then I think the cold, wet weather and low turnout of help might have been the culprit. Saturday was by all means not undermanned by RO's as we always had plenty of RO's at any station we shot. But there seemed stretched out a bit.

Ms. Pat had a malfunction (maybe a bad primer) and ran with it on the 5 to Glock. She smoked those Plates! Me, I have to get rid of those D hits....

One issue did raise it's head. There was no Safety Zone for the shooters to check out their hardware. I wanted to inspect a new set of sights on a LT's gun but didn't have a place to do that. We had to pull a RO off a line to go with us to a unused bay so we could unbag a gun for shown a tell. Others had no place to unbay and holster etc....

Fall Colors are falling off the trees fast. We took the long way home yesterday and didn't even get on the Interstate until 6 PM. Beautiful drive through the mountains again for two weeks in a row!

mike g35
10-28-2012, 14:04

chemcmndr
10-28-2012, 14:19
Here is the video footage I compiled from me shooting my two divisions...

http://youtu.be/TnxheI8Qs-M

http://youtu.be/N7EjlqhTIMg

bustedknee
10-28-2012, 14:49
Saturday, the weather was a little damp and cool. Consequently, the crowd was thin.

Well run match. Everyone was very helpful.

The BBQ smelled great but we were done and gone before it was ready. My wife was in a hurry to get back to the slot machines in Cross Lanes, WV. (She gave me $300 out of her winnings).

My best GSSF score to date so I'm tickled. These ATS sights are working for me.

Sgt.K
10-28-2012, 17:36
The armorer was kicked back today. I walked right in and he went over my 26 and 17 completely. Replaced a couple of springs and cleaned and lubed. Great Guy.

Today there was a "safe area" right behind the sign in at Glock the plates. Not sure if it was there Sat.

lethal tupperwa
10-28-2012, 17:40
left side Jim and Kaye

right end Bob and Pat

in the middle Glenn and Tammy.

Glenn(still with 2 n's but with several less chins and over 100 lbs thinner

In back was the cooker that those great smells were coming from

lethal tupperwa
10-28-2012, 18:12
the Armorers were pretending to be Maytag repairmen.

Mrs Glockrunner
10-28-2012, 18:14
In back was the cooker that those great smells were coming from

That was some pretty good BBQ! Tasted as good as it smelled. Loved the secret ingredient in the baked beans. :cool:

GUNS N' HOGS
10-28-2012, 18:38
Other than the weather, we had a great time in Lexington today! Mike, didn't get a chance to spot you but we were shooting with the grandkids/wives in attendance and moving to different locations pretty quickly while trying to stay warm.....

Everyone was very helpful to us first timers; and we had a blast being able to attend and get those "first time" jitters out of the way.

Definitely looking forward to next year and making as many matches as possible!

Hope everyone arrives home safely!

:cheers:

mike g35
10-28-2012, 19:55
Other than the weather, we had a great time in Lexington today! Mike, didn't get a chance to spot you but we were shooting with the grandkids/wives in attendance and moving to different locations pretty quickly while trying to stay warm.....

Everyone was very helpful to us first timers; and we had a blast being able to attend and get those "first time" jitters out of the way.

Definitely looking forward to next year and making as many matches as possible!

Hope everyone arrives home safely!

Maybe next time, I'm usually easy to spot in my bright colorful jersey LOL but today I was incognito wearing a Marsh and Black colored Columbia rain jacket over it. Hope everyone else had as good of a day as I did.
I don't expect to see much of a change in my scores, but I figured a couple things out today and started doing things a little more correctly and my groups shrunk considerably. For months everyone said "slow down", and I did, what I didn't do was have good trigger control or a good grip. I changed that today and my groups on the long 5 to G shots grouped very tightly. Sadly however the groups were WAY left. A couple says ago I went out shooting and decided my gun was shooting right, so I adjusted WAY left. Then today, once I started shooting with my new and improved fundamentals in place I figured out how big of a mistake that was. I was aiming nearly at the right edge of the targets and grouping left. Groups were tight but in the wrong place.
But oh we'll, we learn as we go and I had a great time. Can't wait for the next one. But now it's time to start perfecting what I learned today. :)
Here's a pic of one of my long targets on the 5 to G. See what I mean? 228710
Believe it or not there are SIX hits there. Two were nearly in the same hole. LOL Maybe next time. I was aiming at the right edge LOL

mike g35
10-28-2012, 19:59
Another example of my sight "correction" error. LOL228711

Glockrunner
10-29-2012, 04:26
Another example of my sight "correction" error. LOL228711

Morning Mike,
If you were aiming at the righthand edge of the target and getting hits like this I would question the rear sight location before going any farther.
First I would ensure it isn't loose and then ensure it is centered.

lethal tupperwa
10-29-2012, 06:11
also check the loose nut behind the trigger.

We missed you maybe next time.

mike g35
10-29-2012, 06:52
Morning Mike,
If you were aiming at the righthand edge of the target and getting hits like this I would question the rear sight location before going any farther.
First I would ensure it isn't loose and then ensure it is centered.

Problem was I had "adjusted" the sight two days earlier. I was at the range getting hits on the right and adjusted left when in fact it was me hitting right not the gun. Then I got to the match and shot well but my sights were off. I have already fixed the sights, won't let that happen again. :)

Butch
10-29-2012, 09:17
Problem was I had "adjusted" the sight two days earlier. I was at the range getting hits on the right and adjusted left when in fact it was me hitting right not the gun. Then I got to the match and shot well but my sights were off. I have already fixed the sights, won't let that happen again. :)
Anytime you have what you think to be a 'sight problem', you should go for your dummy rounds before going for your screw driver. Read page two of my blog if you don't know what to do with the dummy rounds....

Did ya get any rain there on Sunday?

DannyR
10-29-2012, 09:20
Mike,

Since you work at Cabelas, buy one of their 9mm laser cartridges to check alignment of your sights.

SARDG
10-29-2012, 10:22
Anytime you have what you think to be a 'sight problem', you should go for your dummy rounds before going for your screw driver...
I'll have to make a mental note of that one - another quality Butchism perhaps... :)

Melissa5
10-29-2012, 10:42

Bwahaha!

Alexd29
10-29-2012, 11:32
Butch,
i used my 17 for MStock on Sat. i hadnt really shot it since Marietta. I noticed my accuracy seemed a bit off on the far targets, looked more like a shotgun pattern than an accurate group. didnt really think much about it except i need to shoot more. Went to clean it yesterday, and the rear sight is rattling around in the slide.

long story short. double check your gear before a match. (locktite isnt a bad thing)

kyglockshooter 2.0
10-29-2012, 12:01
My dad and I made the decision to shoot sunday which was a slightly a bit windy and a bit cold to say the least. I am interested to see what my actual posted times are, because if the math I did was correct I will have a time of 84 seconds. which is awesome for me seeing as i have never broken the 100 second mark, and because of the cold I was shooting in uncomfortable/new conditions, i thought it would not help lower my time, did anyone else notice the same effect or even the opposite?

mike g35
10-29-2012, 12:44

LMAO ROFL :rofl: :rofl:

mike g35
10-29-2012, 12:47
Anytime you have what you think to be a 'sight problem', you should go for your dummy rounds before going for your screw driver. Read page two of my blog if you don't know what to do with the dummy rounds....

Did ya get any rain there on Sunday?

Just a slight mist for about fifteen minutes. Other than that, and the cold, it was a good day to shoot. Thanks for the advice Butch, I'll check your blog. And thanks to you also Danny, that's a great idea. :)
Saw alot of faces from PCGC and AGC, the local clubs i shoot USPSA at yesterday. What a great match that was!!!! I'm still fired up and excited!!! :)

GUNS N' HOGS
10-29-2012, 15:43
My dad and I made the decision to shoot sunday which was a slightly a bit windy and a bit cold to say the least. I am interested to see what my actual posted times are, because if the math I did was correct I will have a time of 84 seconds. which is awesome for me seeing as i have never broken the 100 second mark, and because of the cold I was shooting in uncomfortable/new conditions, i thought it would not help lower my time, did anyone else notice the same effect or even the opposite?

ky:
I was worried with the weather plus the fact I lost a contact lens Sunday morning and had to shoot without either. Sights were blurry so I expected a terrible score on my first GSSF match along with having to deal with the cold since I could not shoot with gloves or the jacket I had on.

Going by my score sheets, I ended up with 114.36 which I hope is respectable for my first match.

But, I still had a blast; and can't wait to compete in another Match!

kyglockshooter 2.0
10-29-2012, 16:34
ky:
I was worried with the weather plus the fact I lost a contact lens Sunday morning and had to shoot without either. Sights were blurry so I expected a terrible score on my first GSSF match along with having to deal with the cold since I could not shoot with gloves or the jacket I had on.

Going by my score sheets, I ended up with 114.36 which I hope is respectable for my first match.

But, I still had a blast; and can't wait to compete in another Match!

That's awesome for a first time score I've shot like 12 of these and am just getting past that mark so that's beyond respectable in my opinion and I had one glove which my dad cut the pointer finger off so I kept my strong hand a little bit more warm but by the time I got to the plates I was pacing around in a circle trying to keep my heart rate up to keep me warm haha I must of looked like a crazy person pacing like that lol

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Comrade Bork
10-29-2012, 19:23
Here is the video footage I compiled from me shooting my two divisions...

http://youtu.be/TnxheI8Qs-M

http://youtu.be/N7EjlqhTIMg

In the video, at both "Five to Glock" and "Glock M", the ROs are calling "A's".

Strictly speaking, the actual "A" zone is the 4" diameter inner ring.

The 8" diameter ring is the "B" ring.

When they were calling "A" hits, were they calling anything inside the 8" ring an "A"?

IF so, no harm, done.

But if they were calling "A"s only as hits inside the 4" "A" ring, that would be wrong.

SARDG
10-29-2012, 19:59
In the video, at both "Five to Glock" and "Glock M", the ROs are calling "A's".

Strictly speaking, the actual "A" zone is the 4" diameter inner ring.

The 8" diameter ring is the "B" ring.

When they were calling "A" hits, were they calling anything inside the 8" ring an "A"?

IF so, no harm, done.

But if they were calling "A"s only as hits inside the 4" "A" ring, that would be wrong.
Some ROs call them 'A', some call them 'B', some call them 'A-B'. The scoresheet says 'All A+B' so it translates to the exact same thing. There is no place to record a B separately from an A so an A better include the B.

Sgt.K
10-29-2012, 20:01
The 8" ring score + zero seconds either way. Rules say it should be called a "B" but I guess it is just semantics. See rule 160.00 and the subsets.

chemcmndr
10-29-2012, 20:51
Yeah, technically they were a combination of A/B hits, but I guess it's just easier to say "XX Alphas" and I guess it gives some shooters a warm fuzzy feeling.

mike g35
10-30-2012, 09:21
I do have one question, not a complaint just a question, about the "M" setup at Lexington. I thought the poppers were supposed to be calibrated for a 9mm at minimum minor power factor, but the RO's were counting any hits they heard. Is this correct? I plan on volunteering to RO at a few matches next year, just wanna be sure I have this right. I know the majority of matches I shot this year used fixed steel as opposed to actual poppers. Is this why the RO's were counting hits on poppers that didn't fall?

Don At PC
10-30-2012, 09:29
Unless they are hard set not to fall (which is only in heavy winds) they are not supposed to count unless they actually fall. I shot 3 categories with a 9mm (my soft reloads) and they all fell every time. Of course they also fell with my .45 GAP reloads.

Don

Sgt.K
10-30-2012, 09:35
Those were some odd popper, to me anyway. Sort of wind proof, in that I think they locked and they fell forward. Mine all fell and I didn't notice anyone being scored as you describe.

DannyR
10-30-2012, 09:36
Falling steel is generally calibrated with Blazer 115-gr or Winchester USA 115-gr 9mm ammo. If you are using a lighter reload, the steel may not fall and should then be counted as a miss.

SARDG
10-30-2012, 10:15
Steel is technically calibrated to fall on a low-center hit with weakish 115s, and simply called "wind rules" when they are 'locked' (which often means calibrated to NOT fall with a (very) high center hit.)

Sgt.K
10-30-2012, 10:19
These actually locked in position and the hit moved them rearward unlocking them to fall forward. That's what I meant by locked. I understand what you are saying too.

mike g35
10-30-2012, 10:48
I shoot a pretty hot (max load) 147gr 9mm. Mine all fell without issue but two shooters before me were given a pass when they hit but didn't drop the steel. I was just wondering. The poppers were different than usual. That's probably why the rules were "flexed". No complaints though, I was just happy to see a club use real poppers again as opposed to a static 8 inch steel plate. The crew at BGSL did a fantastic job. Anyone that has any complaints about that match is just complaining for the sake of argument. Kudos to both the club and the staff at BGSL for a job well done!!!!! :)

Sgt.K
10-30-2012, 11:00
No complaints from me I'll be back next year (hoping so anyway!).

lethal tupperwa
10-30-2012, 11:47
Don,

how did we miss you?

Don At PC
10-30-2012, 11:55
Don,

how did we miss you?

I checked in at 10 on Saturday and was done shooting 4 categories by 12 noon. I saw Glenn, Bob and Pat, Dr. Rod and several others. Will I see you at San Antonio? :embarassed:

Don

Don At PC
10-30-2012, 11:59
I shoot a pretty hot (max load) 147gr 9mm. Mine all fell without issue but two shooters before me were given a pass when they hit but didn't drop the steel. I was just wondering. The poppers were different than usual. That's probably why the rules were "flexed". No complaints though, I was just happy to see a club use real poppers again as opposed to a static 8 inch steel plate. The crew at BGSL did a fantastic job. Anyone that has any complaints about that match is just complaining for the sake of argument. Kudos to both the club and the staff at BGSL for a job well done!!!!! :)

I shoot my 135gr. loads that I reload and never had a problem. If some were getting credit with a hit that did not fall they were not following the rules. I saw a couple train wrecks looking for a place to happen but I will not post it here and start a pissing contest. They were lucky they didn't have the turn out Saturday that I have seen there before or they would have had some real problems. I have shot this match 7 of the 10 years they have hosted it.

Don

ScottC.
10-30-2012, 14:11
I shoot my 135gr. loads that I reload and never had a problem. If some were getting credit with a hit that did not fall they were not following the rules. I saw a couple train wrecks looking for a place to happen but I will not post it here and start a pissing contest. They were lucky they didn't have the turn out Saturday that I have seen there before or they would have had some real problems. I have shot this match 7 of the 10 years they have hosted it.

Don
I shot on Sunday and was told by the RO that they were having problems with the the popper on the left. From what I understood,that was the only one he was counting with only a ding.

This was our first GSSF outdoor shoot and we really enjoyed it. The staff was great to us, cant wait for next year.

GUNS N' HOGS
10-30-2012, 15:13
We never had an issue with the poppers falling with solid hits from our 130PF 40S&W rounds.

If they're calibrated for 115 Blazer ammo (~132PF) should not be a problem having them fall if they're actually calibrated and the shooter has good shot location.

The Costanza/Sevigney load along with the AA&A GSSF 9mm rounds are in use at ~130PF or less.....

We were shooting/pasting/resetting poppers on the first left hand pit at Glock M on Sunday and never noticed a problem with the steel.

The ROs and crew did an excellent job at all our stages, and everyone was extremely helpful to us first timers! Will definitely return next year!

Glockrunner
10-30-2012, 15:46
I shot on Sunday and was told by the RO that they were having problems with the the popper on the left. From what I understood,that was the only one he was counting with only a ding.

This was our first GSSF outdoor shoot and we really enjoyed it. The staff was great to us, cant wait for next year.

Saturday was the same. I hit and had to rehit one on one tsring I think. Might have been two strings. I can't hear the DING and am moving on, not waiting for the popper to move.

I was was reminded of the situation after but what the hey can I do? Reflects make me go back and reshoot the popper it it hasn't fallen.
No, I was not going to take a reshoot for one popper.:upeyes:

Glockrunner
10-30-2012, 15:48

Don

But Don, contest are always so much fun:rofl::supergrin::wavey::faint:

ScottC.
10-30-2012, 15:52
In my post I didn't mention I was shooting on the first bay , not the two in the back. So it was the popper on the left in the first pit that was having problems.