Federal 9mm +P 124 Grain HST Clear Gel Test [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Federal 9mm +P 124 Grain HST Clear Gel Test

Ljutic
10-28-2012, 14:48
The test barrel was a shade shorter than the G26, but bench marked velocities between the two pistols have always been close.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/10/federal-premium-9mm-p-124-grain-hst.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/BDSBruce/Blog%20Photos%202/IMG_1317_zps4be7c13b.jpg

SCmasterblaster
10-28-2012, 17:04
Gel tests merely test how bullets do in gel. Gel isn't even close to human tissue (Bone, cartilage, tendons, muscles, fat) covered by various amounts of clothing. The only things that have proven with time and experience have been .45 230gr FMJs at 850 FPS and .357 125gr JHPs at 1300 FPS. Now a 9mm is hard-pressed to get a 125gr JHP to go 1300 FPS.

unit1069
10-28-2012, 17:38
Thanks for the test.

cowboy1964
10-28-2012, 18:35
The only things that have proven with time and experience have been .45 230gr FMJs at 850 FPS .

Proven what? That over-penetration and no expansion is a really crappy idea? I agree, .45 FMJ has proven that.

NEOH212
10-28-2012, 20:39
Proven what? That over-penetration and no expansion is a really crappy idea? I agree, .45 FMJ has proven that.

While the 230 FMJ can kill, it's a bad idea. Some have supposedly had some success with standard ball ammo but it's not something I'd carry when I have premium JHP available.

Overpenetration can never lead to anything good and in this day and age, there are words better than any FMJ ammo.

cadillacguns
10-29-2012, 04:43
Wish I could find some 147 (+) P Federal HST 9mm in the Indianapolis IN area.

triggerjerk
10-29-2012, 07:31

http://www.kylesgunshop.com/store.php?seller=KylesGunshop&navt1=50216&pd=2241009

Nice vid OP.

hotpig
10-29-2012, 08:18

Keislers or that place in Danville I think are the closest. Need to have you badge and department ID to purchase at both. Might be just as cheap to pay shipping rather than driving.

cowboy1964
10-29-2012, 10:56
While the 230 FMJ can kill, it's a bad idea. Some have supposedly had some success with standard ball ammo but it's not something I'd carry when I have premium JHP available.

During an interview once with Mas Ayoob, Rob Leatham said he uses 45 ball for home defense. Mas didn't say a word about that but I bet he was biting his tongue.

SCmasterblaster
10-29-2012, 11:44

Overpenetration can never lead to anything good and in this day and age, there are words better than any FMJ ammo.

I wonder where the .45 ACP hardball got its reputation from? Could it be from the smallish Oriental targets from 1942-45, 1950-53, and 1965-1975? I wonder how the .45 worked on the larger German targets. Could it be that the .45 reputation came from the use of Thompson and grease-gun submachine guns?

NEOH212
10-29-2012, 21:53
.45 ball ammo got it's reputation in my opinion from it doing it's intended job rather well in a era where they didn't yet have good controlled expansion rounds.

It worked rather well because it was well, big.

FMJ ammo in the .45 didn't get it's reputation for no reason. It's been proven to be a good manstopper through the years.

It's also been proven to overpenatrate. There are those that will claim that it doesn't but I would be curious to ask them how many people they have shot with it to be able to substantiate it?

There is plenty of street data (and data from the many conflicts our Military has been involved in) to substantiate the effectiveness of 230 grain ball ammo. There is also plenty of street data to contradict those that say it isn't effective. However, there is also plenty street data to contradict those that say it doesn't overpenetrate. Just ask Mas up in GATE.

I'll play it safe and stick with my Premium JHP rounds. They perform better terminally and also greatly lessen the chance of overpenetration.

NEOH212
10-29-2012, 21:53
During an interview once with Mas Ayoob, Rob Leatham said he uses 45 ball for home defense. Mas didn't say a word about that but I bet he was biting his tongue.

I can guarantee it!

:supergrin:

SCmasterblaster
10-30-2012, 07:21
.45 ball ammo got it's reputation in my opinion from it doing it's intended job rather well in a era where they didn't yet have good controlled expansion rounds.

It worked rather well because it was well, big.

FMJ ammo in the .45 didn't get it's reputation for no reason. It's been proven to be a good manstopper through the years.

It's also been proven to overpenatrate. There are those that will claim that it doesn't but I would be curious to ask them how many people they have shot with it to be able to substantiate it?

There is plenty of street data (and data from the many conflicts our Military has been involved in) to substantiate the effectiveness of 230 grain ball ammo. There is also plenty of street data to contradict those that say it isn't effective. However, there is also plenty street data to contradict those that say it doesn't overpenetrate. Just ask Mas up in GATE.

I'll play it safe and stick with my Premium JHP rounds. They perform better terminally and also greatly lessen the chance of overpenetration.

I agree. In spite of .45 hardball's reputation, there are far better loads available nowadays.