Muzzle UP Or Down? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle UP Or Down?

mjkeat
10-28-2012, 16:08
If you keep a long gun around the house for possible protection is the muzzle up or down? Why?

I'm not concerned about round chambered or not as we've already covered that recently.

mvician
10-28-2012, 16:19
Mine is muzzle up. Why? It stands better on the stock than the muzzle.

NeverMore1701
10-28-2012, 16:39

This.

smokin762
10-28-2012, 16:43
If I kept a rifle loaded in the safe or anywhere else, I would keep the muzzle down. If there happen to be an accidental discharge, it would go into the floor of my safe. Not up through the ceiling killing or injuring a loved one.

Cole125
10-28-2012, 17:23
Muzzle up unless you have some sort of rifle rack that will hold the rifle muzzle down.

faawrenchbndr
10-28-2012, 17:33
My only long gun that is kept out of the safe is my 870.
It's in a corner, stored muzzle down.

glock_19guy1983
10-28-2012, 18:00
just out of curiosity, do you people also balance your loaded pistols muzzle down instead of laying them on the side????

mjkeat
10-28-2012, 18:23
Let's keep this on topic

LL6
10-28-2012, 19:35
Muzzle up. I won't rest a rifle on its muzzle.

KennyFSU
10-28-2012, 19:38
I keep mine muzzle up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMurphy
10-28-2012, 20:09
Muzzle up, because it's the only way it'll fit in the safe.

Slung? Muzzle down.

mjkeat
10-28-2012, 20:18
Muzzle up. I won't rest a rifle on its muzzle.

I keep mine muzzle up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why muzzle up?

Chuck TX
10-28-2012, 21:04
Up, design.

LL6
10-28-2012, 21:21
Why muzzle up?
Multitude of small habits. The strongest being the age-old gun-handling rule of: "never let your muzzle come in contact with anything for fear of getting something stuck in it, etc." Most of my long gun experience was with bolt action rifles and I avoided resting it muzzle down for fear of damaging the crown. Last it just seems to rest more securely muzzle up on its stock.

mjkeat
10-28-2012, 21:37
I'm a muzzle down guy for the peramiters stated in the OP. Why? Because I can grab it w/ my firing hand exactly how I'd grip it while shouldered. It can thus be fired. If picked up by the handguard it takes one more step to fire.

Tango 1Zero
10-28-2012, 22:08
Muzzle up.

WoodenPlank
10-28-2012, 22:14
I'm a muzzle down guy for the peramiters stated in the OP. Why? Because I can grab it w/ my firing hand exactly how I'd grip it while shouldered. It can thus be fired. If picked up by the handguard it takes one more step to fire.

Pick it up with your weak hand, and pivot it to your shoulder. problem solved.

Muzzle up, as it balances/stands better that way.

Gunnut 45/454
10-28-2012, 22:42
Yep Muzzle up for all the reason stated above. Grab it with my left hand and bring it to bare on target.:supergrin:

mjkeat
10-28-2012, 23:08
Pick it up with your weak hand, and pivot it to your shoulder. problem solved.

Muzzle up, as it balances/stands better that way.

Tried it. I still have to take the time to position my firing hand on the grip before I can fire a round. I can fire the AR 1 handed if need be but not when only gripping the handguard.

To me it's the same as rotating a handgun muzzle forward as it leaves the holster or waiting to rotate until you join hands obtaining a full grip. If I needed to I could engage the instant the muzzle rotates forward.

Maybe only seconds but...

It's also the way we traveled, muzzle down.

GlockN
10-28-2012, 23:13
If I kept a rifle loaded in the safe or anywhere else, I would keep the muzzle down. If there happen to be an accidental discharge, it would go into the floor of my safe. Not up through the ceiling killing or injuring a loved one.

If you had the rifle go off in your safe, up or down, wouldn't it hit the safe either way? :upeyes:

TangoFoxtrot
10-29-2012, 03:59
Stored muzzle up. On the move muzzle down.

Travclem
10-29-2012, 10:16
Muzzle up. They balance better that way and no risk of damage to the barrel.

smokin762
10-29-2012, 13:14
If you had the rifle go off in your safe, up or down, wouldn't it hit the safe either way? :upeyes:

Itís something I learned years ago and I am okay with it. Turn your frown upside down and put your panties away.

Warp
10-29-2012, 13:26
If you keep a long gun around the house for possible protection is the muzzle up or down? Why?

I'm not concerned about round chambered or not as we've already covered that recently.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/20120926_195501_zps9acb4706.jpg

FireForged
10-29-2012, 16:00
that is the first time I have ever seen someone stand a rifle on its crown.

Warp
10-29-2012, 16:07

Correct me if I am wrong, but does having a muzzle device, such as a flash hider, not kinda prevent it from sitting on the crown?

FireForged
10-29-2012, 16:15
Correct me if I am wrong, but does having a muzzle device, such as a flash hider, not kinda prevent it from sitting on the crown?

I dont mean literally touching the crown.. Its a figure of speech.

Thats the first time I have ever seen a rifle left standing on its barrel/muzzle device.

GSSF17
10-29-2012, 16:39
I do both because they can all fit in my AR safe that way- one up, one down, etc..... That's right- when you have a dozen or so ARs, so much that there is one safe devoted to AR rifles, I do it like that. For me, it is purely a space thing...

mjkeat
10-29-2012, 16:46
I dont mean literally touching the crown.. Its a figure of speech.

Thats the first time I have ever seen a rifle left standing on its barrel/muzzle device.

You've never flown w/ a firearm.

FireForged
10-29-2012, 17:25

I am familiar with boat-up / bird-down, which has some unique considerations- but I thought we were talking about home defense.

Warp
10-29-2012, 17:37
I am familiar with boat-up / bird-down, which has some unique considerations- but I thought we were talking about home defense.

You said you'd never seen it before, not that you'd never seen it with an HD gun before.

I find that conversations go more smoothly when you say what you mean and mean what you say. ;) Using figures of speach with random people online who don't know you and assuming they will know what you REALLY meant, vs what you said, can be complicated.

But more to the point...if you would like to convince me that it is a bad idea, go for it. I'm listening (srs)

KalashniKEV
10-30-2012, 00:11
The only time my muzzle goes "up" is when I'm shooting something that's "up."

TangoFoxtrot
10-30-2012, 04:52

I agree.

LL6
10-30-2012, 06:42
Tell me again how HD turn into flying? :dunno:

mgs
10-30-2012, 07:21

You mean on the flash hider!

mjkeat
10-30-2012, 08:40
Tell me again how HD turn into flying? :dunno:

It didn't. A poster stated he ahd never seen anyone place a weapon muzzle down when in fact he had. To many people trying to flex and posture. Kinda like the guy who said "muzzle up" because carpet could get in the barrel.

KalashniKEV
10-30-2012, 09:57
You mean on the flash hider!

I don't think he knows the names of the parts of a rifle.

LL6
10-30-2012, 16:36
It didn't. A poster stated he ahd never seen anyone place a weapon muzzle down when in fact he had. To many people trying to flex and posture. Kinda like the guy who said "muzzle up" because carpet could get in the barrel.
I think most would basically agree, situationally there are times when a certain direction is called for.

I flew and we always required their muzzles down. It was SOP. The school rationale as I best recall was they didn't want a stray bullet going up through the rotor system. I think this was based on what a little .223 hole would cause the crew chief work-wise if it went up and hit a rotor blade than going down into a hydraulic line or a fuel cell. Either direction could end the flight, but potentially replacing a rotor blade is much more work than patching a line.

Back to the original question about HD. Time was mentioned as the prime factor for muzzle down being preferred. If that's the case it would then be up to the person to decide if saving a second was a consideration in the manner in which their weapon is stored based on the threat.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Warp
10-30-2012, 16:48
Back to the original question about HD. Time was mentioned as the prime factor for muzzle down being preferred. If that's the case it would then be up to the person to decide if saving a second was a consideration in the manner in which their weapon is stored based on the threat.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Take my picture as an example (the corner of a carpeted bedroom)

We seem to agree that muzzle-down is faster. I think that for many/most people it is also a safer direction in that a discharged round, from that position, would be unlikely to directly strike somebody.

What are the advantages to muzzle up in that situation?

NeverMore1701
10-30-2012, 16:51
I can't possibly imagine a scenario where the rifle could discharge while sitting in the corner.

ChuteTheMall
10-30-2012, 16:52
muzzle up

Warp
10-30-2012, 16:53
I can't possibly imagine a scenario where the rifle could discharge while sitting in the corner.

If you keep the chamber empty, then I agree.

LL6
10-30-2012, 18:48
Take my picture as an example (the corner of a carpeted bedroom)

Now that you mention it I was wondering if it was laundry day?:supergrin:

We seem to agree that muzzle-down is faster. I think that for many/most people it is also a safer direction in that a discharged round, from that position, would be unlikely to directly strike somebody.

What are the advantages to muzzle up in that situation?

No advantage just preference. My immediate go to weapon is a Glock. If I have about 45 sec I can go to my closet and pull out my AR or something else.

WoodenPlank
10-30-2012, 18:50
If you keep the chamber empty, then I agree.

The firing pin doesn't have enough mass to allow it to set off a primer from an impact. The only way it could happen is if the hammer engagement surfaces were so worn that it slipped off the trigger hook and slammed down on the pin.

Warp
10-30-2012, 19:29
The firing pin doesn't have enough mass to allow it to set off a primer from an impact. The only way it could happen is if the hammer engagement surfaces were so worn that it slipped off the trigger hook and slammed down on the pin.

If you don't have pets, then that would be what you worry about.

If you had multiple cats and dogs, like we do, and you kept the rifle fully loaded (IE chambered), then you might consider the possibility of an animal finding a way to both disengage the safety and pull the trigger. Not really a serious concern but stranger things have happened.

I have learned to never underestimate what havoc pets in the house can wreak.

Again, not really a serious concern, just something in the back of my mind...and also why I like leaving long guns in that corner that is almost fully enclosed by the dresser.

PS: I stack my clothes all over the place when I'm lazy. My wife will take it out of the dryer and put it on the bed, then when I go to bed and my clothes and crap are on my side of the bed I just throw them somewhere to deal with later. Sometimes kinda folded, sometimes not

NeverMore1701
10-30-2012, 22:22
If you don't have pets, then that would be what you worry about.

If you had multiple cats and dogs, like we do, and you kept the rifle fully loaded (IE chambered), then you might consider the possibility of an animal finding a way to both disengage the safety and pull the trigger. Not really a serious concern but stranger things have happened.

I have learned to never underestimate what havoc pets in the house can wreak.

Again, not really a serious concern, just something in the back of my mind...and also why I like leaving long guns in that corner that is almost fully enclosed by the dresser.

PS: I stack my clothes all over the place when I'm lazy. My wife will take it out of the dryer and put it on the bed, then when I go to bed and my clothes and crap are on my side of the bed I just throw them somewhere to deal with later. Sometimes kinda folded, sometimes not

I'd think pets knocking a muzzle-standing rifle on it's side far more likely than them managing to sweep the safety and pull the trigger.

Warp
10-30-2012, 22:33
I'd think pets knocking a muzzle-standing rifle on it's side far more likely than them managing to sweep the safety and pull the trigger.

You seem to think the rifle is unstable.

It is not. Not at all.

Awhile back I said this:

"But more to the point...if you would like to convince me that it is a bad idea, go for it. I'm listening (srs)"

I am still waiting for somebody to take me up on that offer. So far I have advantages for muzzle down*, but not muzzle up.

*Quicker to pick up (and with one hand if necessary or desired)
*Safer muzzle direction
*Dust and debris don't fall down the barrel

That's how I see it.

The crown of the barrel is not on the ground, and the ground is simply padded bedroom carpet that won't be damaging the steel flash hider.

Also, I mention the dust/debris because after having a shotgun over there, muzzle up (those black marks on the wall are from the shotgun's barrel), led to a noticeable amount of dust/pet hair/etc accumulating in the chamber (esp when the chamber was kept empty). I realize I wasn't shooting that shotgun as often as I should have been, and I shoot the carbine more often than that, and it's a smaller opening for that crud to get into...but still...enough of an advantage to quantify and list, I think.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/20120926_195501_zps9acb4706.jpg

NeverMore1701
10-30-2012, 22:38
I don't think anyone's trying to convince you because no one really cares. Keep it pointed in whatever direction floats your boat.

Warp
10-30-2012, 22:41
I don't think anyone's trying to convince you because no one really cares.

If nobody cares whether muzzles go up or down (and why), why did they click on, and then read, and then post in, this thread?

If you don't care to discuss the merits of muzzle up/down, your time might be better spent outside of this thread. ;)

NeverMore1701
10-30-2012, 22:50
Muzzle UP Or Down?

Five characters.

AK_Stick
10-31-2012, 00:29
In my safe muzzle up.

In my closet, muzzle down.

faawrenchbndr
10-31-2012, 02:12
In my safe muzzle up.

In my closet, muzzle down.

Yep,.......:cool:

skeeter7
10-31-2012, 02:39
Now that I think about it, I have never put one down or away with the muzzle down. All the rifles are muzzle up in the safe.

Mayhem like Me
10-31-2012, 11:13

Which is why mine is muzzle up my bedroom is on the top floor where my rifles are stored.

smokin762
10-31-2012, 14:01
Which is why mine is muzzle up my bedroom is on the top floor where my rifles are stored.

I might have done the samething, if I was in your shoes.

I have a gun room in the basement. Itís where I keep all my firearms except for the one or two I carry. The safes are locked and the door to the room is kept locked.

The basement is cool and dry and receives the least amount of traffic all year around. Nobody seems to want to go down there. So I made it my man cave. :supergrin:

Warp
10-31-2012, 15:10
I might have done the samething, if I was in your shoes.

I have a gun room in the basement. Itís where I keep all my firearms except for the one or two I carry. The safes are locked and the door to the room is kept locked.

The basement is cool and dry and receives the least amount of traffic all year around. Nobody seems to want to go down there. So I made it my man cave. :supergrin:

Basements are good for that. I can't wait till we finally get one. I'm up on the bonus room right now...with other stuff mixed in. :(

smokin762
10-31-2012, 15:30
Basements are good for that. I can't wait till we finally get one. I'm up on the bonus room right now...with other stuff mixed in. :(

You will love it. I also have my reloading equipment down there. It's so peaceful sometimes to get away from everybody.

When I clean guns, I turn on the radio, crack open a window and enjoy my time.

mjkeat
10-31-2012, 20:28
I posed this question at work today w/o sharing my opinion on the subject. The two I asked have quite a good deal of practical firearms experience. Multiple real world engagements in varying conditions and environments w/ some high speed units. Their response was a resounding, "muzzle down." Why? "We're used to doing it in birds." I asked them about at home sitting next to the bed. Almost before I could finish asking they answered, "Hell yeah, muzzle down, no question." Why? "You can grab it by mission control, fewer steps, faster."

I then filled them in to why I was asking. I brought up the "damage the crown" and "carpet in the muzzle." They had a good laugh.

Warp
10-31-2012, 20:57
I posed this question at work today w/o sharing my opinion on the subject. The two I asked have quite a good deal of practical firearms experience. Multiple real world engagements in varying conditions and environments w/ some high speed units. Their response was a resounding, "muzzle down." Why? "We're used to doing it in birds." I asked them about at home sitting next to the bed. Almost before I could finish asking they answered, "Hell yeah, muzzle down, no question." Why? "You can grab it by mission control, fewer steps, faster."

I then filled them in to why I was asking. I brought up the "damage the crown" and "carpet in the muzzle." They had a good laugh.

:thumbsup:

LL6
11-01-2012, 07:31

Your approach to this is why this forum has limited use. Rather than try to make fun of people advise the masses why you "think" muzzle down should be the preferred method.

There are so many variables due to the real world circumstances involved (like storage, kids, living arrangement, etc) there is no single answer.

Bigdog450
11-01-2012, 09:12
Up almost always

glock031
11-01-2012, 09:39
Your approach to this is why this forum has limited use. Rather than try to make fun of people advise the masses why you "think" muzzle down should be the preferred method.

There are so many variables due to the real world circumstances involved (like storage, kids, living arrangement, etc) there is no single answer.

This.

TucsonGlocker
11-01-2012, 12:14

:perfect10:

ETA: I have concrete floors throughout my (single story) house which don't provide much traction. If I put the gun muzzle down, it will slide and fall flat on the floor. The rubber butt-pad on the Magpul stock prevents the gun from sliding, so muzzle up for me!

Clutch Cargo
11-01-2012, 13:23
Horizontal.

joecoastie
11-01-2012, 13:52

I don't recall anyone saying they were concerned about carpet in the muzzle. At least one person did mention that they had been trained to use muzzle up to avoid debris in the muzzle. Obviously training can develop into a habit that you stick with even in cases where it isn't applicable. Similar to the way you have mentioned a couple times that you are used to using muzzle down due to having ridden in aircraft.

:goodpost:
This is one of the things I have noticed about the AR community in general. If anyone uses a method other than yours, make fun of their method because its different. Granted somethings are always wrong and somethings are always right. However somethings are personal preference, muzzle up or muzzle down, who cares? Use the one that works for you.

pag23
11-01-2012, 17:26
Muzzle up in the safe. Horizontal under the bed for the HD gun

Ruggles
11-01-2012, 21:07
I don't recall anyone saying they were concerned about carpet in the muzzle. At least one person did mention that they had been trained to use muzzle up to avoid debris in the muzzle. Obviously training can develop into a habit that you stick with even in cases where it isn't applicable. Similar to the way you have mentioned a couple times that you are used to using muzzle down due to having ridden in aircraft.

:goodpost:
This is one of the things I have noticed about the AR community in general. If anyone uses a method other than yours, make fun of their method because its different. Granted somethings are always wrong and somethings are always right. However somethings are personal preference, muzzle up or muzzle down, who cares? Use the one that works for you.

I agree some around here think there is some "Golden Book" on all things ARs and to do anything contrary to that book is just plain wrong. Many different methods because many different ones just plain work. I am muzzle up in the safe, but I do not keep a loaded chamber. HD is relegated to the handguns in my house at this point. If I have time to open the safe I have time to chamber a round IMO.

mjkeat
11-01-2012, 22:09

There are no variables. I made the situation quite clear. I think others are confused as to the original question. Like the guy talking about keping his in the safe on an empty chambe.

If you keep a loaded firearm laying around the house w/ children you're wrong. Why would you store a firearm kept for defense? It doesn't make any sense.

I explaned the benefits to muzzle down, speed. Fast into the fight slow out of the fight.

I have wood floors in my house. When I have a long gun out for defense it's muzzle down on a flat wall not in a corner. It stays put.

There is no golden rule. Some things just work better. In this situation muzzle down works better.

Ruggles
11-01-2012, 22:19
There are no variables. I made the situation quite clear. I think others are confused as to the original question. Like the guy talking about keping his in the safe on an empty chambe.

If you keep a loaded firearm laying around the house w/ children you're wrong. Why would you store a firearm kept for defense? It doesn't make any sense.

I explaned the benefits to muzzle down, speed. Fast into the fight slow out of the fight.

I have wood floors in my house. When I have a long gun out for defense it's muzzle down on a flat wall not in a corner. It stays put.

There is no golden rule. Some things just work better. In this situation muzzle down works better.

The OP was not misunderstood IMO the conversation turned to "there is only one right way" when in fact that is not true as posted many times on this thread. Different methods for different people work. The OP seemed to be trying to get a overall survey of what different people do and why, he instead got a pissing contest between methods and posters. Who would have thought that would have happened here :rofl:

mjkeat
11-01-2012, 22:31
The OP was not misunderstood IMO the conversation turned to "there is only one right way" when in fact that is not true as posted many times on this thread. Different methods for different people work. The OP seemed to be trying to get a overall survey of what different people do and why, he instead got a pissing contest between methods and posters. Who would have thought that would have happened here :rofl:

If it wasn't explain the below quote. The OP was talking about long guns kept out for defense. A long gun in the safe w an empty chamber is the exact opposite of the OP. Long gun not handgun.

Who would have thought someone would have completely missed the point of the OP.

.... I am muzzle up in the safe, but I do not keep a loaded chamber. HD is relegated to the handguns in my house at this point. If I have time to open the safe I have time to chamber a round IMO.

samuse
11-02-2012, 09:14

This. And I also prefer to have oil drain into the receiver extension rather than the chamber.

Green Dragoon
11-03-2012, 06:20
muzzle up with a piece of scotch tape over it.

faawrenchbndr
11-03-2012, 06:25
Whie a bit of a side track,......I've used "finger cots" for hunting
muzzle protection for years. Will keep caret out as well. :rofl:

https://www.google.com/search?q=finger+cots&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=cAyVUI2pMNP_qAHm4ICgDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

Darkangel1846
11-03-2012, 07:06
Hanging on the wall, mag in place, chamber empty.

Warp
11-03-2012, 11:00
muzzle up with a piece of scotch tape over it.

lol

I did that for awhile with my shotgun. Used packing tape...same result.