Fire pin safety plunger is not protruding [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fire pin safety plunger is not protruding

AR15 guy
10-28-2012, 18:49
I was in the process of trading my g26 for a g17, but noticed something strange. First off, this gun appears to have been shot a lot, but that isn't really a problem. It is stippled, had a SS guide rod, and a lighter trigger. The slide to frame fit was a little more loose than my g19, but again probably ok.

Then I noticed the fire pin safety plunger was flush with the slide and had no "spring" action like my other glocks. I did some googling and could not find any posts, or anything about this.

I would like to make this trade, but I don't want to trade off a reliable LNIB g26 for a problematic g17. I want the g17 to make into a IDPA/USPSA gun, but not a full blown race gun. Currently I am running a bone stock g19.

kodiakpb
10-28-2012, 18:55
Don't make the trade. Sounds like a whole bunch of shade tree gun smithing going on.

AR15 guy
10-28-2012, 18:59
That is what I am afraid of. I will continue to look for a unmolested gun. Or wait till I can afford to buy a new 17, or 34.

lyodbraun
10-28-2012, 19:29
Might just be a broken spring under the plunger?? or not there at all ?? either way id check into it and see what the problem was... might be a simple fix...

ejes
10-28-2012, 19:46
kodiakpb, is correct. You've already noticed a lot of things that validate your suspicions of someone fiddling with the sidearm's internals. You don't know who did what. If you want to trade, trade for a new 17 or 34, pay the difference, and spend the little extra as you can to make it IDPA/USPSA. That way YOU know what has been done to it.

SJ 40
10-28-2012, 19:54
I would keep looking,their are some good clean used guns out there. SJ 40

AR15 guy
10-28-2012, 19:56
I really like the feel of the gen4's, but the ejection issues has me a little worried.

Fwiw, I have actually purchased two g17's new, and sold them both. Only because I felt my g19 did everything the 17 did. Now my needs/wants are a little different, so I want to get a dedicated comp gun.

F14Scott
10-28-2012, 20:23
If you're decently mechanical and your seller doesn't mind, detail strip it and see if the plunger's little spring is there. You can have the entire slide assembly completely apart in under two minutes with only a 3/32 punch.

I suspect the spring is missing; even broken, you would probably encounter some resistance.

The gun might be just fine with a new $.99 spring. The other mods would not be show-stoppers, for me. Stippling is just cosmetic and a SS guide rod is a good improvement, IMO, as it allows easy recoil spring swaps and is even less likely to break than the plastic one.

More important, to me, would be a function test. After solving the striker safety spring question, get a few boxes of different ammos and run them through the gun. If it doesn't function 100%, pass. If it does, there's almost certainly nothing to fear.

Glock Detail Strip And Reassembly (IN HD) - YouTube

vmann
10-29-2012, 07:50
walk away.....why on earth would you get rid of your 26....just save up and buy your 17 at a later date....

AR15 guy
10-29-2012, 08:58
I want to get rid of the 26 because it is hard for me to conceal. Unless I am wearing a jacket I can't carry it, unless I carry it on my ankle.

I want to get a thinner CC gun, and a larger gun for IDPA.

dkf
10-29-2012, 09:52
Can't conceal a G26? Sounds like issues with holsters.

Arc Angel
10-29-2012, 09:54
According to what you say there is nothing on that gun that can't be fixed with a simple parts swap. Just remove the old: trigger bar, connector, and striker (FP) safety, and install new ones. While you're at it, replace all the springs, too. After you do this you should have a Glock that's right up to specification. (This is all the factory's going to do if you send it to them.) ;)

As long as the: frame, slide, and barrel, themselves, are not screwed up, it's really hard to permanently damage a Glock.

AR15 guy
10-29-2012, 11:07
Can't conceal a G26? Sounds like issues with holsters.

I have it in a comp tac Minotaur... I have a 30" waist, and have trouble hiding anything.

dkf
10-29-2012, 11:10
I have it in a comp tac Minotaur... I have a 30" waist, and have trouble hiding anything.

You tucking your shirts in? If wearing untucked shirts wear longer shirts. The body on the Minitaur is rather bulky compared to a Crossbreed Super Tuk or Galco King Tuk.

If I were you I would keep the G26 and pick up a CM9 or PM9 for when you wear tucked in shirts or have to be 100% concealed.

MikeG36
10-29-2012, 11:43
I wouldn't do it. Not because it can't be fixed but because why should you have to. :dunno:

You are trading a LNIB G26 for a heavily used and mucked with G17. IMO you'd be getting the s*** end of the stick. Pass.....

AR15 guy
10-29-2012, 11:48
You tucking your shirts in? If wearing untucked shirts wear longer shirts. The body on the Minitaur is rather bulky compared to a Crossbreed Super Tuk or Galco King Tuk.

If I were you I would keep the G26 and pick up a CM9 or PM9 for when you wear tucked in shirts or have to be 100% concealed.

I never tuck my shirts, but I have considered trying a cross breed super tuck. It does look less bulky and it appears to spread the weight out more.

Brian Lee
10-30-2012, 10:33
It's entirely possible that the plunger problem is simply that it's gotten so dirty that it's stuck in the upward (UNSAFE) position. This is exactly why I speak so adamantly against the totally FALSE rumor that Glocks do not need to be cleaned or have their slides detail stripped once in a while. The gun was probably owned by one of those guys who never once cleaned it right, and he probably shot it for a long time without even knowing that his most important safety mechanism was not even functioning that whole time.

If a cleaning doesn't do it, then listen to what Arc Angle said. There's nothing you've described that cannot be easily fixed real cheap with little more knowledge than it takes to do the cleaning.

LampShadeActual
10-30-2012, 12:06
There is an alternate theory of buying Glocks, especially Glocks that don't work correctly.

1) Does the frame, slide, and barrel possess the same serial number?

2) Do those components appear COSMETICALLY intact-unfiled-unground-unworn-unmolested-unworn-unchipped-unbroken with all their finish or virtually all their finish?

3) If the answer to 2) is no, don't even consider going past cosmetics. It is so hard to mess up the finishes, that who ever used it or shot it or fooled with it, made it into junk.

4) If the answer to 2) is yes, then does the gun function 100% correctly to observation and perhaps even shooting?

4a) If the answer is yes, then it will always be worth $350-400, non LEO people, in a commercial sale to another shooter. You would always try to pay perhaps $300 or less if buying.

4b) If the answer is no, then it will always be worth $250-300 selling it. If buying it, all you should ever have to do is clean it and figure out which of a few small parts don't work. If it doesn't work and you want to buy it, you should always try to pay perhaps $200 or less.

4c) Cosmetics is all that matter. The small parts are everywhere and fairly cheap.

ca survivor
10-30-2012, 17:35
there are plenty of G-17 out there to be trading on one that might be problematic. And really try to work in concealing that 26.

AR15 guy
10-30-2012, 17:48
Working on purchasing an OD green one now.

bustedknee
10-30-2012, 21:09
this gun appears to have been shot a lot,....
It is stippled,
had a SS guide rod, and
a lighter trigger.
The slide to frame fit was a little more loose than my g19, ....
fire pin safety plunger was flush with the slide and had no "spring" action ....

The guy is obviously a Glock Wanker. :animlol:
No telling what all he has "messed" with.
Other than the stippling, all other possible problems should be fixable but will require time and money.

I would walk away.
In my opinion there are 3 other great ways to purchase a Glock:
1. GSSF discount.
2. Armorers discount .
3. Police trade-ins.

AR15 guy
10-31-2012, 05:39
The guy is obviously a Glock Wanker. :animlol:
No telling what all he has "messed" with.
Other than the stippling, all other possible problems should be fixable but will require time and money.

I would walk away.
In my opinion there are 3 other great ways to purchase a Glock:
1. GSSF discount.
2. Armorers discount .
3. Police trade-ins.

The kicker was he just got the gun in a trade...and shot one, yes one magazine through it. Who shoots only one magazine through a gun they just got?

bustedknee
10-31-2012, 17:15
The kicker was he just got the gun in a trade...and shot one, yes one magazine through it. Who shoots only one magazine through a gun they just got?

He shot one magazine then decided he didn't like it?

Hmmmmmm.