Serious xl650 problem (Help needed) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Serious xl650 problem (Help needed)

papercidal
10-28-2012, 20:22
I got my new xl650 about 2 weeks ago and set it up everything went pretty uneventfully. I added the case feeder today and that's when the trouble started.
Everything functions perfectly but for the life of me I cant figure out how to satiate its appetite for primers,cases, and bullets. 1 hr in and I have run through my stock for the next 2 months.
I keep thinking something will screw up to slow me down. My last press had a auto limiting feature that caused it to start having problems at about the point that I had loaded enough for about 2 weeks keeping me from ever prematurely running out of components.
So here I am with a new perfectly functioning press, nothing to feed it ,2 months worth of loaded ammo, and no excuse to order more components yet. So has anyone else run into this problem and is the only solution to pick of a set of dies and start to reload another caliber or am I just stuck with this problem?

shotgunred
10-28-2012, 20:31
You should reload some 40's. A 9mm case stuck in a 40 case will bring you to a screeching halt.

Hoser
10-28-2012, 20:44
Best plan is to buy three 1050s and a couple bullet feeders.

papercidal
10-28-2012, 21:12
I only shoot .22,.45 ,and 5.56 and have not yet got around to loading 5.56 as I don't shoot enough of it to make a large difference. So I'm just going to have to go out and buy something in a different caliber maybe another K frame in a centerfire caliber this time.

Colorado4Wheel
10-28-2012, 21:27
Should have bought a LnL with casefeeder.

IndyGunFreak
10-28-2012, 21:29
Should have bought a LnL with casefeeder.

:rofl:

The clear answer to the OP's quandary is to go shoot a lot of ammo, so he has an excuse to reload some more.

M24C
10-28-2012, 21:33
I guess the worst part about this is you have to go shooting! We need those empty cases back as fast as possible. :supergrin:

Boxerglocker
10-29-2012, 08:03
I totally feel your pain... though with me I have plenty of components just no motivation to load knowing that I won't go through it all anytime soon.

When the season slows down over here in the PNW my XL650 just sits for a couple weeks at a time. I have only one 3 gun match that I plan to shoot in 2 weeks, then done for the year.
I loaded 1200 rounds of 9mm over commercial breaks while watching the World Series. After I load the 1200-1500 .223 cases I prepped for my AR's last week. I'll be cleaning, lubing the press and throwing the cover over it probably till after the new year. I've got 300 pieces of .223 Lapua brass to play around with on the single stage over the winter. I'm gonna stick to shooting from the bench, under cover with my bolt gun over the winter.

labdwakin
10-29-2012, 20:57
See, the problem is, you aren't thinking big enough...

Since you are obviously understocked for components, you have a moral obligation to buy brass, primers and bullets until you no longer feel the motivation to load any more ammo! I am saddened and dismayed by your total lack of motivation at being a hoarder!!! Not to mention the fact that if you continue in this vein, you will be required to relinquish your CRB card forthwith.

A TRUE CRB would still be beating the bushes for cheap brass, primers, and bullets until he ran out of money. I'd also like to point out that if you pay more than 70% of retail for any of these things, you will also be forced to let go of your certification.

Talk to you guys later... I have more dirty bullets to clean up that I got for $13 per 1,000. :couch:

papercidal
10-29-2012, 21:20
No I'm too much of a CRB to buy brass when I have about 1000 perfectly good cases that only need a little percussive force to free up to load again. on the other hand more primers and projectiles are soon to be on the way.

Firecop203
11-01-2012, 20:44
The 650 is a cruel hungry beast. The more you use it, the more it needs to be fed. It refuses to go on a diet. Eats everything in sight and always wants more, never gets full, never gains weight. Reminds me of a hyperactive 10 year old with a Halloween bucket.