.22 cal Glock trainers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .22 cal Glock trainers?

TheHoneyBadger
10-29-2012, 00:01
Hi, I'm new to the board although I've been carrying/shooting Glocks for about a decade now. Got a gen 2 G17, gen 3 G20, G22, G27, G26, and gen 4 G23. Recently tried a new M&P 9 and it was the biggest pile of garbage I've saw, had to go back to S&W twice and still had compications so traded it back in for a blue label G26. But to the point of my post, I'm wondering what you guys use as a rimfire training pistol that best simulates the Glock. I've saw some pistol at a pawnshop that had a look like a Glock but the man said it was a SA. And I've also saw the conversion kits but I don't know if they are worth a crap.

SJ 40
10-29-2012, 05:33
Welcome !
You might be interested in this thread.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449854

SJ 40

HexHead
10-29-2012, 05:36
The Advantage Arms conversion kits are very good. You can't beat using your own Glock's trigger for training.

Gallium
10-29-2012, 06:10
Advantage arms.

I only use it with very petite women or kids in the 10-14 yr old range.

By far a blue gun and dummy rounds are much more important training tools for me than any actual firearm that reduces recoil for training purposes.

- G

Jim
10-29-2012, 15:09
But reducing cost, that's another story.

100 rds WWB at Walmart, about $26.
100 rds Rem GB at Walmart, about $4.

On my AA conversion, everything is the exactly same except recoil: grip, trigger pull, sights, etc.

Training with ammo that gives normal recoil is certainly mandatory, but you can learn a lot with a .22

I'd been shooting .22's in the local police junior rifle club for several years. The very first time I shot a center fire pistol was a 1911 in the Navy, shot Expert the first time.
The very first time I shot a center fire rifle was a M1 in the Navy, shot Expert the first time.

Gallium
10-29-2012, 15:25
But reducing cost, that's another story.

100 rds WWB at Walmart, about $26.
100 rds Rem GB at Walmart, about $4.

On my AA conversion, everything is the exactly same except recoil: grip, trigger pull, sights, etc.

Training with ammo that gives normal recoil is certainly mandatory, but you can learn a lot with a .22

I'd been shooting .22's in the local police junior rifle club for several years. The very first time I shot a center fire pistol was a 1911 in the Navy, shot Expert the first time.
The very first time I shot a center fire rifle was a M1 in the Navy, shot Expert the first time.

It would be silly :) of me to argue your fine points sir!

My experience as a shooter and trainer of hundreds (probably approaching 1000) is that we don't all learn the same. For every 10 male shooters I work with, 6-7 might have recoil aversion issues. 1/10 might never benefit from "dry fire", and another 1/10 be a natural shooter where everything clicks for him.

For women it's a little different...less steep of a learning curve, but more sensitivity to recoil - which often times can be traced to use of a firearm that does not fit their hands.

Jim
10-29-2012, 16:11
I don't think we are too far apart.
My own experience, and I've seen others do the same, is that all the basics except recoil control can be learned at less cost by using a .22
But you can't get good at rapid fire in a more powerful gun, without practicing with that gun.

Recoil sensitivity does indeed vary. I was firearms instructor for my PD for 30 years and had too many officers, trained by other agencies, jerking/flinching/pushing. Some work with a .22 would help, then "ball and dummy" exercises to keep 'em honest.

ken grant
10-29-2012, 16:48
I luv Conversion kits.
5 AA----- 19/23 Target, 19/23 LE,21,30 & 1911
Ciener---- 1911 & AR15
M261---- AR15/M16

Range trips I fire a couple of mags full caliber, install kit, shoot several hundred rds. of .22 LR and then change back to full caliber, shoot a couple of mags.

This way keeps me used to the noise and recoil of full caliber.

LampShadeActual
10-29-2012, 17:57
My experience as a shooter and trainer of hundreds (probably approaching 1000) is that we don't all learn the same. For every 10 male shooters I work with, 6-7 might have recoil aversion issues. 1/10 might never benefit from "dry fire", and another 1/10 be a natural shooter where everything clicks for him.

For women it's a little different...less steep of a learning curve, but more sensitivity to recoil - which often times can be traced to use of a firearm that does not fit their hands.

I think I am lost here. I use S&W AR15-22s for practice and familiarization. I use AA LE kits for M17-22-19-23-26-34-35-21 for both practice and training.

100-200 rounds of 22LR followed by a box or two of centerfire 9mm, 40, or .45 is as good a training practice as I can afford once a month or every two weeks.

With the AA units, you can draw, fire, holster, repeat till you are sick of doing it. You can move, find cover, shoot, reload, and not go broke practicing.

As to beginners, most women are easier taught shooting skills than most men as long as their hands remotely grip the Glock correctly. Women listen. And try. Men are so busy showing their knowledge and skill, half of them are untrainable.

The funniest couple I ever introduced to shooting was a NFL pro linebacker and his 105# wife. They wanted a CCW gun. They shot a M17 AA kit and a S&W617 both in .22LR to get the idea. They then tried S&W J and K frames along with three sizes of Glocks in .38 and 9mm. They liked the M26.

The thing was the wife outshot the husband by group size about 50%. I don't mean bullseyes. I mean she never left an IPSC "A" zone and he had to work to stay in it.

Once he saw that, he was even more pissy. She had a total hoot. That Glock a rocking in her hand looked funny, but she shot fast and hit. She started yipping about projecting power and I thought she was going to have a big, well moving right along.

Anyway, the small woman learned.

allegro
10-29-2012, 20:32
All good info. Everyone is on the same page here for sure.

My experience with my AA is quite simple. It helped my trigger control !!!

I have shot all my life, several years of IDPA league of late. Being able to actually fire and take data from thousands of rounds of .22 has decreased my groupings. Simply put, I have gained greater "isolation" of my trigger finger and develop and even better "break point" for firing. I would suggest one of these kits (or any other quality package) to anyone. Heck, if nothing else, it gets them out shooting more due to the decreased cost of firing the weapon.

M24C
10-29-2012, 20:52
I've got Advantage Arms 22 conversion for Glock. It is great for me at times to switch to it to see how bad I'm anticipating the recoil. So I get the trigger time, cheapest to shoot, then follow it up with regular loads. I like the Advantage Arms it locks the slide back last shot gives good feel to the gun.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jamaicanj
10-30-2012, 10:14
I have the AA conversion kit for my G17. It's awesome and I have no regrets