Glock Fixed It! Gen 4 G17 Part 2 (Video) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Fixed It! Gen 4 G17 Part 2 (Video)

Raleigh Glocker
10-29-2012, 05:15
If you remember my thread detailing the appearance of my BTF problem (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446570), I sent my Gen 4 G17 to Glock on their dime, and they got it back to me in exactly one week. They replaced every internal part, changing the #2 "dipped" extractor to a #3 "dipped" extractor. The 30274 ejector and 042 RSA that came in the pistol were replaced with the same part numbers.

As you will see in the video the ejection isn't perfect, but it isn't hitting me in the face. The slow motion comparison of the old ejection to the new ejection is pretty interesting, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppsPgOnubps

While I'd rather the kind of ejection I was experiencing when I first got this pistol, I will take what I've got now over BTF twice every magazine.

TexasGlockster
10-29-2012, 05:26
Congrats on the improved gun. My dad is shooting an early Gen 4 G17, complete with the 336 extractor and has had zero problems with a very rare BTF. Glad you have a gun you can enjoy now.

SJ 40
10-29-2012, 05:51
Glad Glock stepped up and got your G 17 throwing the brass some where other than to your face,much better than your first try with them. SJ 40

Raleigh Glocker
10-29-2012, 06:07
Glad Glock stepped up and got your G 17 throwing the brass some where other than to your face,much better than your first try with them. SJ 40

To be clear, I had a perfect gun for the first 900 rounds, then BTF twice each mag. I have only sent it to Glock this one time, and they paid for shipping, fixed it, and returned it to me in one week. So far, I'd say I've been treated well by Glock.

Of course, I realize that the BTF might pop up again, but I think by documenting things at every step, I will be able to get what I need from them should the time come.

I continue to be a Glock fan.

fuzzy03cls
10-29-2012, 06:32
So what's to say that in another 900rds it won't develop again?

Genin
10-29-2012, 06:55
Another quality video put out by you. Great editing work. I really liked the slow motion comparison, it tells the story. You're the only person I'm subscribed to on Youtube lol.

Beanie-Bean
10-29-2012, 07:41
Thanks for the report, RG. Good to know that Glock made things right for you.

stolenphot0
10-29-2012, 07:52
Glad they got you sorted.

Btw, My wife says you are one of the few people she has heard do videos that sounds professional and not like some nit wit rambling on.

plouffedaddy
10-29-2012, 07:57
Good video and your experience mirrors my G19 experience. Glock fixed the problem (eventually) and I'm back to being a happy glocker again... :supergrin:

JBS
10-29-2012, 10:04
Another excellent job. Keep up the documentation. :thumbsup:

Raleigh Glocker
10-29-2012, 16:25
First of all, thanks to all the posters for watching and for all of the kind words.

So what's to say that in another 900rds it won't develop again?
Absolutely nothing, but that can be said about every gun any of us own. "Who's to say gun 'x' won't start to malfunction in the middle of the next box of ammo?", could be asked of any of them.

This pistol is fixed until it is not. I don't really care until I start to see problems, and until then, I'm just going to shoot the crap out of it.

This isn't my only Glock, and it is far from my only firearm. If it goes down, I will just see what Glock does about it and report back to everyone. I don't have any need to go apoplectic about it.

I do appreciate that there are many here who do not have as many options as I do- if your one and only pistol goes down and does not get fixed right away, you have every right to be royally peeved and ditch Glock forever.

That said, I also have limits to my patience, and if for some reason I continue to have problems and Glock doesn't make things right, I will be sure to share that with a well-documented video.

Another quality video put out by you. Great editing work. I really liked the slow motion comparison, it tells the story. You're the only person I'm subscribed to on Youtube lol.

Thanks! Comments like that really mean a lot.

Glad they got you sorted.

Btw, My wife says you are one of the few people she has heard do videos that sounds professional and not like some nit wit rambling on.

If she could only see "Take 1" of some of these videos... I actually reshot two entire videos because I thought I came across as a rambling nit wit.
:supergrin:

I am keeping some of my better bloopers for a "fail reel" at the end of the year. She might see that I'm just a nit wit who edits out the ramblings.
:embarassed:

plouffedaddy
10-29-2012, 16:36
If she could only see "Take 1" of some of these videos... I actually reshot two entire videos because I thought I came across as a rambling nit wit.

I should probably try that :supergrin: I don't re-shoot anything, just ramble uncontrollably from time to time...:whistling:

stolenphot0
10-29-2012, 16:44
:supergrin:

I am keeping some of my better bloopers for a "fail reel" at the end of the year. She might see that I'm just a nit wit who edits out the ramblings.
:embarassed:

At least you have the sense to edit. Some of these guys just ramble into a mumble then back onto subject.

I should probably try that :supergrin: I don't re-shoot anything, just ramble uncontrollably from time to time...:whistling:

Nah your vids are great too.

Ranger45
10-29-2012, 17:51
Cognrats RG! Glad this worked out well for you! I'm starting to think very seriously about adding a Gen4 G17 myself.

RonS
10-29-2012, 18:46
Thanks for the update, hope the gun just keeps getting better.

bac1023
10-29-2012, 19:21
Glad to hear it worked out :)

Raleigh Glocker
10-30-2012, 07:39

Your videos are great. I could never do a Hickok45 and just record myself for 20 minutes without a single dumb thing coming out of my mouth.

I have found that perfection can be the enemy of the good enough, at times. For my Tactical Pants Torture Test video, I shot the clip where I pull all that junk out of the pockets as you see it on the first take. However, I meant to pull out a SECOND smartphone later in the clip as my two-is-one-one-is-none smartphone backup. So, I redid the thing 8 more times and never once got everything right. :supergrin:

Raleigh Glocker
11-07-2012, 11:57
Range Update:

I put another 200 rounds of Speer 115gr FMJ through the pistol today, and about 5 bounced off the top of my head. Again, I can deal with that as long as it is not right into my face, but this is still not the awesome ejection that I had with this pistol for the first 900 rounds.

JBS
11-07-2012, 13:59
Range Update:

I put another 200 rounds of Speer 115gr FMJ through the pistol today, and about 5 bounced off the top of my head. Again, I can deal with that as long as it is not right into my face, but this is still not the awesome ejection that I had with this pistol for the first 900 rounds.

Make another video and send it back till they get it right.

TxGlock9
11-07-2012, 14:42
Is this video family friendly because if it's not I don't think it'll be conducive for my children....

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 17:21
I am getting a 4th gen G22 in a few months. I hope that it doesn't do any BTFs.

Raleigh Glocker
11-08-2012, 03:29
Make another video and send it back till they get it right.

I have a few different extractors coming for me to do a comparison video. If one of those extractors fixes it, then there's no need to send it back. If none fix it, then it will go back at that time.

In the meantime, I will keep putting rounds down and seeing how the ejection changes, if at all.

faawrenchbndr
11-08-2012, 04:15
It's a man made, magazine fed, semi-auto.
Any can have ejection issues. The only 100% cure,..........
buy a revolver.

Mags can & will wear. Extractors can & will wear. Hopefully youn
are good to go, even a few thousand rounds down the road.
Thanks for taking the time to post the video & info as to what Glock did.

glocktecher
11-08-2012, 10:18
Why can Glock not admit there is a problem?

And why do so many Glock fanboys accept it? Just like mindless robots.

I WANT TO LOVE ALL MY GLOCKS (G19, 23, 22, 21, 30, 30SF, 23 GEN 4, 26, 27, 32) but this is not acceptable.

The last Glock pistols I bought were 2 G30sf models. They both freaking have BTF. They both were driven to Glock by me. "We ran blah blah blah. Everything is up to spec. We replaced blah blah blah. Should be fine." And both pistols were in twice.

It is not fine.

I love the design, simplicity, takedown, just about everything but I can no longer support them when they are too proud to admit this and keep selling a product that their design changes have screwed up.

Glock is going to continue to put this crap on the market as long as you fanboys keep willing to accept this.

They should fix it during manufacture or lower the price of their products to the Taurus / Hi Point range.

It does not happen because of my shooting style. It does not happen with my Kimber, S&W, Ruger, Sig, Beretta, Taurus, Bersa, CZ or Kahr pistols.

Boot Stomper
11-09-2012, 03:30
Great and interesting video. Very professional and great to here you had a great experience with Glock Customer service.