PDA

View Full Version : OAL safety question: 9mm FMJ recipe

Kwesi
10-29-2012, 11:09
I have a load that I've worked up & chrono'd as follows:

9mm PD FMJ - 115 gr
Power Pistol - 6.1 gr
Win SPP
OAL 1.130 - 1.140 ( My goal was 1.135 and due to component variables these end up in the range).

I've been using these loads for some time and have worked well. I've been loading lots of rounds and this morning noticed that the OAL has fallen to somewhere between 1.120 - 1.129.

Should I have safety concerns shooting these? Would you pull all of them?

Thanks!

Boxerglocker
10-29-2012, 11:27

9mm PD FMJ
Power Pistol - 6.1 gr
Win SPP
OAL 1.130 - 1.140 ( My goal was 1.135 and due to component variables these end up in the range).

I've been using these loads for some time and have worked well. I've been loading lots of rounds and this morning noticed that the OAL has fallen to somewhere between 1.120 - 1.129.

Thanks!

I wouldn't have any issues with 6.1g at that OAL, obviously check for pressure signs but for reference I load 6.4g of PP at 1.150 for simulated SD loads.

Kentguy
10-29-2012, 11:55
Kwesi,

This is my load data;
Bullet - 124g RN FMJ (Precision Delta)
Powder - Alliant - Power Pistol - 6.2g
Powder range - 5.6g up to 6.4g (Speer)
Burn rate -#33 (hodgdon)
Bullet length OAL - 1.150"
Velocity - 1,201.6 fps my 5 shot average @ 73 degrees
Crimp - Light
Test Gun - Glock 17 w/4.49" Barrel

I tested with the OAL at 1.135" and just didn't like the results so I backed off to 1.150", much more controlled, accurate round for me out of my G17.

Just my gut feeling but I wouldn't use those at that OAL, don't feel your going to blow anything up but based on my test results - I had better luck going longer than shorter with the OAL.

Just my 2 cents

TX Archer
10-29-2012, 13:13
Fred has a blog post on the effect of OAL and pressure. I think you'll find it interesting, given your current issue, and it might be little comforting.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=256

SCmasterblaster
10-29-2012, 13:26

9mm PD FMJ
Power Pistol - 6.1 gr
Win SPP

Thanks!

So what is the bullet weight?

Kwesi
10-29-2012, 13:35
115gr

Kwesi
10-29-2012, 13:41
Fred has a blog post on the effect of OAL and pressure. I think you'll find it interesting, given your current issue, and it might be little comforting.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=256

This is exactly why I posted the question given .005 - .010 lower OAL.

Kwesi
10-29-2012, 13:43
I wouldn't have any issues with 6.1g at that OAL, obviously check for pressure signs but for reference I load 6.4g of PP at 1.150 for simulated SD loads.

Boxer: 115 gr FMJ?

RYT 2BER
10-29-2012, 19:53

9mm PD FMJ - 115 gr
Power Pistol - 6.1 gr
Win SPP

Thanks!

Glad you posted this as it brings on another question... I've had a situation of oal changing... How is it possible??? I mean the bullet seater die is set and locked in.. Therefore it can only push the bullet down "so far". How does the oal change?? :dunno:

I'd love to get an answer to this.

Boxerglocker
10-29-2012, 20:50
Boxer: 115 gr FMJ?

6.3g with a 124 Speer GD at 1.150 is the recommended Alliant load, with a 115g FMJ at 1.120 I wouldn't sweat it. But what do I know...

F106 Fan
10-29-2012, 20:54
Glad you posted this as it brings on another question... I've had a situation of oal changing... How is it possible??? I mean the bullet seater die is set and locked in.. Therefore it can only push the bullet down "so far". How does the oal change??

The nose of the bullets may not be uniform and the way in which they contact the seater plug may differ. Pistol dies typically push against the nose of the bullet when a flat seater plug is used and push against some part of the side of the nose if a rounded seater plug is used.

Lee will make custom seater plugs.

For lead bullets, it is common for lube to transfer to the seater plug and this causes the rounds to get progressively shorter.

And that's why Dillon dies are so slick. You just remove a wire clip and the seating assembly drops out for easy cleaning. When it is replaced and the clip reinstalled, the die needs no adjustment.

Richard

RYT 2BER
10-29-2012, 21:55
The nose of the bullets may not be uniform and the way in which they contact the seater plug may differ. Pistol dies typically push against the nose of the bullet when a flat seater plug is used and push against some part of the side of the nose if a rounded seater plug is used.

Lee will make custom seater plugs.

For lead bullets, it is common for lube to transfer to the seater plug and this causes the rounds to get progressively shorter.

And that's why Dillon dies are so slick. You just remove a wire clip and the seating assembly drops out for easy cleaning. When it is replaced and the clip reinstalled, the die needs no adjustment.

Richard

Understood. This would explain why sometimes if my bullet placement isn't perfect (ever so slightly tilted) I can get differences... Quite frustrating!!

Boxerglocker
10-29-2012, 22:11
Understood. This would explain why sometimes if my bullet placement isn't perfect (ever so slightly tilted) I can get differences... Quite frustrating!!
Being a little more generous with your flare along with lubing your brass with a touch of Hornady one shot will help with OAL consistency.

F106 Fan
10-30-2012, 06:46
There are better seating dies from Redding. They're about $79 at Sinclair.

These dies will properly align the bullet but consistent depth still requires a consistent bullet shape.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/12--competition-bullet-seating-die-for-handgun-a-straight-wall-rifle-cartridges

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/redding-competition-pistol-bullet-seater-dies-prod33529.aspx

I have these dies in 9mm and .45 ACP. They work very well. Then again, I don't look for +- 0.001" in seating depth.

Even when I use the rifle version, I still get a couple of thousandths variation and this is probably caused by slight differences around the meplat. The dial calipers can only measure actual length whereas the die is seating the bullet by the ogive.

Richard

Kwesi
10-30-2012, 07:33
There are better seating dies from Redding. They're about $79 at Sinclair.

These dies will properly align the bullet but consistent depth still requires a consistent bullet shape.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/12--competition-bullet-seating-die-for-handgun-a-straight-wall-rifle-cartridges

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/redding-competition-pistol-bullet-seater-dies-prod33529.aspx

I have these dies in 9mm and .45 ACP. They work very well. Then again, I don't look for +- 0.001" in seating depth.

Even when I use the rifle version, I still get a couple of thousandths variation and this is probably caused by slight differences around the meplat. The dial calipers can only measure actual length whereas the die is seating the bullet by the ogive.

Richard

This is the seating die that I'm using.

Boxerglocker
10-30-2012, 07:33
http://www.hornady.com/store/images/T/b234.jpg

I use the Lock-N-Load Comparator Set which measures off the ogive and when you adjust your dies accordingly the OALs are up to 0.004-6 +/- difference.

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2012, 07:57
Be aware, fancy seating dies do not always work better with Lead Bullets. They are a little to tight because the lead bullet is larger and they build up with lube. In my experience my Lee seating die is better then the Hornady and Redding (both with the fancy in line seater sleeve). With jacketed the high fancy dies are pretty nice.

Kwesi
10-30-2012, 21:11
6.3g with a 124 Speer GD at 1.150 is the recommended Alliant load, with a 115g FMJ at 1.120 I wouldn't sweat it. But what do I know...

Boxer: unpacked my loading manuals and found:

Modern Reloading 2nd edition
115gr jacketed
Min OAL 1.120
Max 6.7gr PP / Start 6.2gr

In other words you do know...thanks!

fredj338
10-31-2012, 13:08
This is exactly why I posted the question given .005 - .010 lower OAL.

A 0.010" OAL diff isn't going to do much pressure wise unless you are already over pressure IME. If I were loading +P loads, off the book, then everything starts to matter.:wow:
Sorry Kwesi, typo, that is 0.010". There would be an issue 0.100" longer for sure.

Kwesi
10-31-2012, 13:50
A 0.10" OAL diff isn't going to do much pressure wise unless you are already over pressure IME. If I were loading +P loads, off the book, then everything starts to matter.:wow:

Thanks for your comment fred.

DEJ/FL
11-01-2012, 15:48
This is the seating die that I'm using.

You might want to take the seating die apart and give it a good cleaning! I have the same die and it started seating the bullets deeper and I found residue inside of it!:shocked:

Just a suggestion!

Dan:cool:

Kwesi
11-04-2012, 09:08
You might want to take the seating die apart and give it a good cleaning! I have the same die and it started seating the bullets deeper and I found residue inside of it!:shocked:

Just a suggestion!

Dan:cool:

The die was pretty clean. The problem is the nose on some of the bullets. I compared them visually and noticed some have a flattened nose while most are more pointed. I loaded for the pointed and they were between 1.132 - 1.134. The flat nose bullet was way BELOW 1.120! All bullets are Precision Delta.

attrapereves
11-06-2012, 11:40
With 124gr Precision Delta FMJ bullets, my OAL is 1.15". Each bullet make has a different ogive and length, so OAL can vary.

Kwesi
11-06-2012, 11:59
With 124gr Precision Delta FMJ bullets, my OAL is 1.15". Each bullet make has a different ogive and length, so OAL can vary.

True that the OAL will vary BUT from 1.140 - 1.113 when 1.120 is the recommended lowest OAL is a concern to me. I reported this to PD. They asked me to weigh the bullets from the low to the high OAL. They were the same. Sam at PD explained that since they were the same weight that the problem had to due with oil in the process.

I do not check the OAL of every round but have on this last box from PD. Just received 2K more. Hope these are consistent as in the past.