Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 60 musings [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 60 musings

ditto1958
10-29-2012, 11:54
Don't want to start a 10/22 vs. Model 60 debate, as that's been debated to death, and I really like both of them. I sure would not have to try to decide between the two if I could only keep one gun. I was noticing something today, though, that I think is interesting. The Marlin has a really thick, almost match grade barrel, with a beautiful crown on it. My 10/22 has a much thinner looking, tapered barrel. (My Henry H001 Lever Gun with the round barrel has a relatively slim barrel, too).

I'm just wondering, how can Marlin afford to put a barrel like that on a rifle that is sold so cheaply? The regular birch stock version is often priced at about $159.

Or, to flip things around, maybe it's not something that's all that expensive. If if it's not, then why don't more .22 rifles have a similar barrel?

deputy tom
10-29-2012, 13:10
Marlin's reputation rests upon their " Micro-Groove rifling". They can cheapen the rest of the gun and it'll still drive tacks. tom.:wavey:

Leigh
10-29-2012, 13:40
Marlin's factory trigger also helps as they are generally superior to Ruger's. Sights on both are pretty basic but all of mine always wore an inexpensive 4x Bushnell/Tasco.

I've owned more than a few of each over the last 30+ years and both have place in everyone's rimfire battery.

The best was a variant that resembled an M1 carbine...tube fed but only a small portion of the tube was visible under the barrel. Don't recall the model buth it could hang with many similar length lever guns in the accuracy department.

That said, I had a friend who owned a Model 60...bought new in the late 1970's....never cleaned it...wiped down the outside but the innards were filthy and gritty but it rarely skipped a beat after 1000's and 1000's of rounds!

Downside (if any), certain 60's had a plastic/polymer trigger guard that literally "melted" when it came in contact with Birchwood-Casey's Gun Scrubber.

All in all, I'd take either for plinking/small game hunting.

cheapshot
10-29-2012, 17:40
Marlin's reputation rests upon their " Micro-Groove rifling". They can cheapen the rest of the gun and it'll still drive tacks. tom.:wavey:
Positively!:thumbsup:

LA_357SIG
10-29-2012, 18:04
My Marlin 795 was way more accurate than my 10/22 before aftermarket modifications. I don't know why the 10/22 is more expensive than the 60/795. They both use aluminum receivers with cheap paint finishes.

firefighter4215
10-29-2012, 18:11
My 60 and dad's 795 are both extremely accurate guns. Wouldn't trade mine for any 10/22.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

mac66
10-30-2012, 09:59
I have several of both. I like the detachable mag and handling of the 10/22 better than the 60. The marlins may be a bit more accurate but I don't have any problem hitting what I shoot at with the Ruger.

allegro
10-31-2012, 18:21
I've shot just about every "main-stay" .22 made. Back in '78 I bought a 10/22 and have enjoyed every shot. I recently took mine out to shoot, loaded the mag and was again amazed it the accuracy. After hitting all the pistol targets left from a 1000 round fury with my .40 and .45, I was making a beer can dance at over 100 yards shot after shot with only a 4X scope.

Given that I bought the rifle for squirrel hunting and plinking, I think my investment is still paying off. No discredit to any of the other brands, but dang, how can you go wrong with the 10/22?

MarkCO
10-31-2012, 20:00
Marlin 7000...choice. Too bad they discontinued it.

vafish
11-01-2012, 09:27
Don't want to start a 10/22 vs. Model 60 debate, as that's been debated to death, and I really like both of them. I sure would not have to try to decide between the two if I could only keep one gun. I was noticing something today, though, that I think is interesting. The Marlin has a really thick, almost match grade barrel, with a beautiful crown on it. My 10/22 has a much thinner looking, tapered barrel. (My Henry H001 Lever Gun with the round barrel has a relatively slim barrel, too).

I'm just wondering, how can Marlin afford to put a barrel like that on a rifle that is sold so cheaply? The regular birch stock version is often priced at about $159.

Or, to flip things around, maybe it's not something that's all that expensive. If if it's not, then why don't more .22 rifles have a similar barrel?

I would bet the barrels on a 10-22 and a 60 start about the same diameter before they are turned down.

It's actually more work to make the thinner tapered one than the thick one.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

TxGun
11-01-2012, 11:11
I have 2-3 of both (always have a lot of shooters on weekends) and have for a very long time. Both great guns that will do anything you want a .22 to do, IMO.

drizzle
11-01-2012, 15:57
I have a Glenfield 60 (the Coast to Coast model) with a seven round box mag. Mine has a green sling, and looks like an M1 carbine someone left in the dryer too long, but it shoots great.

I see other model 60s with either dark or light stocks, squirrel or no, for 110-125 all the time. I'm waiting for another one under a hundred. Rugers are ok, but I love model 60s.

drizzle
11-01-2012, 15:58
double tap