GLOCK BOOM, a story of case head separation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK BOOM, a story of case head separation

1RoundEye
10-29-2012, 13:02
This past weeekend, I was shooting the plates at the Tucson, AZ GSSF match, and had a little incident.....

I was on my second string of GLOCK the plates, and on 5:6 plate there was a boom, and the magazine ejected along with the next round to be loaded, reminents of the casing, and what was left of the magazine release. I also received some minor powder burns on my hands, but was OK otherwise.

I was shooting a G30SF (.45) firing commercial reloaded ammunition (230gr w/ Nickel Case). After the incident I took the pistol to the factory onsight GLOCK Armorer who stripped the gun down replaced any broken parts, did a thorough inspection, and gave it a clean bill of health. We went back to the stage a completed the remainder of our entries without issue.

I was wearing a GoPro at the time and managed to capture the everything on a GoPro

Update: Close up pictures of the casing can be found in post #53 (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19705283&postcount=53).

Tiro Fijo
10-29-2012, 13:09
...firing commercial reloaded ammunition...

I'd avoid that stuff like the plague. Glad you're alright. Testament that the Glock is a very strong pistol. :cool:

TheExplorer
10-29-2012, 13:10
Wow! Glad you are alright. That would freak me out. I always wondered about the re-loaded stuff. It is hardly any cheaper by me anyway.

TheExplorer
10-29-2012, 13:12
Testament that the Glock is a very strong pistol. :cool:

That's for sure.

1RoundEye
10-29-2012, 13:15
I'd avoid that stuff like the plague. Glad you're alright. Testament that the Glock is a very strong pistol. :cool:

Yea, I am beginning to think the additional $5 /50 might be worth the expense.... I agree, the pistol took it like a champ and was very impressive. I've changed the title to focus more on the ammo than the pistol to limit the whole GLOCKs explode perception.

Wow! Glad you are alright. That would freak me out. I always wondered about the re-loaded stuff. It is hardly any cheaper by me anyway.

For sure, it scared me enough to drop the pistol and everyone around was a little freaked. I've actually shot case upon case of ammunition of this stuff without any issue, so I don't know if was just the laws of probability or what. For .45 it was $13.XX /50 which is a fair amount if buy 1K rounds at a time.

GRIMLET
10-29-2012, 13:18
That was my verbal reaction too.

TheExplorer
10-29-2012, 13:19
I didn't even catch the magazine drop the first time. That was some force. If anything your video will show people the strength of the gun.

JBS
10-29-2012, 13:21
Looking at your hands you got some gas every place there was an opening in the frame. You even got racing stripes on your trigger finger from each side of the trigger. Glad you received no permanent injuries.

stolenphot0
10-29-2012, 13:26
Glad you're ok. Did your hands sting from the boom?

1RoundEye
10-29-2012, 13:38
Did your hands sting from the boom?

My right palm was a little sore where part of the magazine release was blown out and impacted. All if not post of the powder marks washed off.

Jim
10-29-2012, 15:01
Don't know where you got the reloads, but a wise man once said:

"Gun show reloads are to ammunition, as crack whores are to women."

Topsider
10-29-2012, 15:37
Ouch. I think I'll be happy to pay a little more for factory ammo. Thanks for posting! ;)

tango44
10-29-2012, 16:19
Glad to hear that you are ok, I simply do not use reloads!

Melissa5
10-29-2012, 16:29
Were you shooting Atlanta Arms & Ammo reloads? Those are the only reloads I've shot and trust.

SJ 40
10-29-2012, 16:32
Were you shooting Atlanta Arms & Ammo reloads? Those are the only reloads I've shot and trust.The only reloads I trust are my own PERIOD
SJ 40

JBP55
10-29-2012, 16:34
No reloads here, only new commercial ammunition.

dkf
10-29-2012, 17:17
I'll just say you can have Kabooms with factory ammo as well. You are not immune no matter what you buy.

WarEagle 1
10-29-2012, 17:34
Just thought about buying some reloads to test out, but I'll pass and stick to what I know works.

Bruce M
10-29-2012, 17:44
Glad to read that you are essentially fine.

ak103k
10-29-2012, 17:56
I like how you threw gun away after it finally registered something wasnt right. :supergrin:

Reloads arent the issue as much as it is who loads them.

I shoot tens of thousands of my own reloads each year with rarely an issue (probably somewhere close to a million rounds at this point). I rarely shoot anyone elses though for this very reason.

Ive actually had more problems with factory ammo over the years than I have my reloads.

mudslinger79
10-29-2012, 18:01
Glad you are OK!!!!!!!! My nerves would have been fried after that.

JBP55
10-29-2012, 18:21
I'll just say you can have Kabooms with factory ammo as well. You are not immune no matter what you buy.

But the percentage is MUCH higher with reloads. :whistling:

PM720
10-29-2012, 18:36

This is true. You see recalls all the time on factory ammo so they falter as well. :dunno: I have been shooting AAA for a couple thousand rounds now and have been very pleased. :cool:

Scott

PM720
10-29-2012, 18:40
I like how you threw gun away after it finally registered something wasnt right. :supergrin:

Yeah, I liked that too! :crying::supergrin:

Scott

1RoundEye
10-30-2012, 02:26

Very true! While i've never experienced a kaboom before, I've heard of recalls, and actually received some ammo (WWB) where the OAL was clearly out of spec. So the best you can do is be as diligent as possible.

Until I was punched in the hand by what was left of the magazine release, the only thing I was thinking was "7 shots for six plates, please don't miss again...."

TK-421
10-30-2012, 02:48
Wow, that was impressive, and nice reaction timing by all. It almost looked like the magazine released even before the trigger was pulled, **** sure did go wrong really quick there.

On another note, did it cost you anything to have the armorer fix your firearm afterwards? Do you have to pay for parts/time? Or is it included in the event fee?

PM720
10-30-2012, 07:24
Wow, that was impressive, and nice reaction timing by all. It almost looked like the magazine released even before the trigger was pulled, **** sure did go wrong really quick there.

On another note, did it cost you anything to have the armorer fix your firearm afterwards? Do you have to pay for parts/time? Or is it included in the event fee?

After several admonishments about using reloads he fixed it for free. Kudos to Glock for their top notch customer service. :thumbsup:

Scott

drew4691
10-30-2012, 08:46
all the kabooms i've seen on this site has been with reloads. I only visit every once in awhile, tho. Glad you got your glock fixed.

Paul53
10-30-2012, 12:00
You're relatively uninjured, gun fixed for free, and a great story to tell! That's a good day in my book.

Glad you weren't hurt worse.

1RoundEye
10-30-2012, 16:08

As PM720 said, just a lot of him saying "you shouldn't use reloaded ammo". There was no charge other than the event fees. They provide the Armorer as a service free of charge (with in reason of course) for participants.

Kudos to Glock for their top notch customer service. :thumbsup:

Scott

Kudos to you for not smacking me in the back of the head for dropping your G30. :supergrin:

TK-421
10-30-2012, 16:31
As PM720 said, just a lot of him saying "you shouldn't use reloaded ammo". There was no charge other than the event fees. They provide the Armorer as a service free of charge (with in reason of course) for participants.

Excellent, glad to hear they provide parts and labor free of charge, I like that. Much better than them trying to charge you stupid amounts for the labor and twice what the parts are worth, since it's a Glock event. Makes me more willing to go do GSSF matches, knowing they treat people right.

SARDG
10-30-2012, 19:45
Did you get a reshoot? :)

SARDG
10-30-2012, 19:53
Kudos to you [PM720] for not smacking me in the back of the head for dropping your G30. :supergrin:
I'll lend my guns to anyone at a GSSF match - but won't allow reloads in them (unless they're my reloads.)

Scott must be a good friend - not too bright, but a good friend... :rofl:

SDGlock23
10-30-2012, 20:01
Glad all turned out well, your reaction was priceless. I've experienced two case head separations, one complete (XDM .40) and the other partial (Glock 20sf). Nothing broke on the guns, but the mag did fly out and I got some soot on my hands. Both cases looked kinda old, I learned my lesson.

1RoundEye
10-30-2012, 20:47
Did you get a reshoot? :)

Not of the whole division. Just the one string, an I got to shoot the remaining two.

I'll lend my guns to anyone at a GSSF match - but won't allow reloads in them (unless they're my reloads.)

Are you sure Scott didn't use his infamous AA minor loads in your race gun? I choose to plead the fifth on the second half of your post. :supergrin:

Glad all turned out well, your reaction was priceless. I've experienced two case head separations, one complete (XDM .40) and the other partial (Glock 20sf). Nothing broke on the guns, but the mag did fly out and I got some soot on my hands. Both cases looked kinda old, I learned my lesson.

I think what startled me the most is that when the mag release broke it shot out the side of the pistol and into my hand. Had the mag just flown out I probably wouldn't have dropped the pistol, and the video would not be nearly as good.

SARDG
10-30-2012, 21:42
...Are you sure Scott didn't use his infamous AA minor loads in your race gun? I choose to plead the fifth on the second half of your post. :supergrin:
Hmmm... he told me that if I was going to loan him my gun, I also had to supply the ammo. Maybe I'm the one who is not too bright.

Inebriated
10-30-2012, 21:55
I have had a .44 KB on me. Ruger Blackhawk.

It's kind of... awkward? It's realizing so much of that power didn't do what it was supposed to, but no one was hurt.

Glock Master
10-30-2012, 22:07
I'm Glad you're ok.

PM720
10-30-2012, 22:30
Kudos to you for not smacking me in the back of the head for dropping your G30. :supergrin:

By the time I thought of it we were already at the armorers table and I didn't think Cindy would like me smacking her shooters around! :rofl:

Scott

PM720
10-30-2012, 22:32

I am and I am. He's using the same ammo this weekend! :wow::faint:

:rofl:

Scott

PM720
10-30-2012, 22:36
Hmmm... he told me that if I was going to loan him my gun, I also had to supply the ammo. Maybe I'm the one who is not too bright.

Hey, I offered to bring a supply of Wally World Federal but you said it wouldn't run on anything but Kitty's Bunny Farts? :dunno: Turns out I needed a hammer to keep the dot on! :faint: :rofl: Well, that and some proper free state mags. :embarassed:

Scott

Glock40man
10-31-2012, 00:40
Ouch, I'm glad you are OK.

MikeG36
10-31-2012, 00:52
Firstly, I'm glad you're okay. Secondly, great job with the video.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

1RoundEye
10-31-2012, 01:58
By the time I thought of it we were already at the armorers table and I didn't think Cindy would like me smacking her shooters around! :rofl:

Scott

Mental note have Cindy around when I shoot HM & MS this weekend!

He's using the same ammo this weekend! :wow::faint:

:rofl:

Scott

Well, I can't just throw it away, and after a thread like this nobody will buy it from me. :dunno:

For reals, the reloader has sold millions of rounds over the last several years and has never had a problem. I think it was a combination of an unfortunate occurrence, and bad luck. I do have to say in have been eyeballing factory ammo prices ever since. :shocked:

PM720
10-31-2012, 02:39
I agree. While we are all having some fun with this I think it was just a fluke deal. Like I have mentioned to you FTF I have been thinking about trying some of his .38 stuff for my revolvers. We will move forward. :whistling::supergrin:

Scott

johnd
10-31-2012, 08:06
glad you are ok.
Yes a KB is NOT something you ever forget.
I had one once in a Colt Gold Cup with S&W factory ammo...a double charge 45ACP that blew the magazine out the bottom, blew the grips off and bulged the slide. Visually it was like a firework with sparks all around my hand. Physically I had similar to the OP with an instant stinging sensation, burns and some splinters in my hand and forearm.
Glocks are some tough guns for sure!

Ocean_glocker
10-31-2012, 09:29
glad you were alright. But on the bright side it happened at a GSSF event so you had a working pistol in the matter of hours, not weeks...

Roger H
10-31-2012, 10:18
I had same thing happen to my G21 i was alone in the woods didnt know they were factory reloads first thing counted my fingers. mine split the barrel. mine was on the recall list even thow glock rebuilt total frame i had to pay for barrel . i dont shoot any reloads i dont care where they come from

Fear Night
10-31-2012, 10:27
Another reason to always wear eye protection!

I would not trust shooting other peoples/companies reloads, unless I trust the reloader. Case head separation is most often caused by compromised brass, which should have been identified before the brass was reloaded.

Who knows if commercially reloaded ammo is using a case that has been fired and reloaded 15+ times? Or if cheap "once fired range brass" really had a few that had been fired way more than that?

I always stick with factory new ammo and reloading the case from them, or buying brand new brass from somebody like Starline. Sure it's a little more expensive, but so is a broken gun.

yobohadi
10-31-2012, 11:43
Can you post a better picture of the brass?

1RoundEye
10-31-2012, 12:23
glad you were alright. But on the bright side it happened at a GSSF event so you had a working pistol in the matter of hours, not weeks...

For sure. If there is such a thing as a good place for this kind of a failure to occur, it's a GSSF match! The Armorer actually had everything back together and us out on the range in under fifteen minutes.

Can you post a better picture of the brass?

Sure thing. I'll take a close up pic this weekend, and add it to the first post.

ak103k
10-31-2012, 20:14
Who knows if commercially reloaded ammo is using a case that has been fired and reloaded 15+ times? Or if cheap "once fired range brass" really had a few that had been fired way more than that?
I shoot my pistol brass to failure, which is a good bit more than 15 cycles. By failure, I mean when the necks split, or the rims are tore up enough the extractor has troubles grabbing them, and you start getting function related failures, like stove pipes.

I usually shoot the same 3000 cases for about 2-3 years or so before I start having enough failures I scrap the whole lot. One cycle for those 3000 cases is about 7-8 weeks. Most initial failures are nickle cases, as they tend to get brittle faster and split sooner, and usually dont count towards the scrap count. The brass cases just keep going and going.

1RoundEye
12-06-2012, 01:27
Sorry it took me so long to get these up.

Here are two shots of the KB casing:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/ZeroG21/CalGuns/C5A0B04C-5B63-4F93-9022-906083712E81-2361-00000200E6A27DCC.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/ZeroG21/CalGuns/543A0DDA-DA0B-40E5-9450-FA668B8F4027-2361-00000200EE1DE113.jpg

Here are two shots of the next bullet in the magazine:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/ZeroG21/CalGuns/3369C0E6-3918-412B-B761-CD033BDCB04D-2361-00000200FCBD46D4.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/ZeroG21/CalGuns/B8B75EAF-40FB-4BCC-8DF8-8E0D3D038EAB-2361-00000200F54290BF.jpg

INEEDMILK
12-06-2012, 02:10
So the moral of the story is....

don't shoot reloads?

Fear Night
12-06-2012, 06:33
So the moral of the story is....

don't shoot reloads?
No.

Don't shoot other peoples reloads, like the commercial reloads used in this case. Only shoot your own reloads and remain incredibly stringent in your case inspection process.

SDGlock23
12-06-2012, 10:07
Looks to me like that brass is rather old. Sure it might be shiny, but they don't make "Western" brass these days. Old brass failing was what happened to me twice, but no damage occurred to the guns, just startled me and sooted up my shooting had real nice. Moral is, be extra cautious loading old brass or better yet, just pitch it.

clarkz71
12-06-2012, 10:37
Looks to me like that brass is rather old. Sure it might be shiny, but they don't make "Western" brass these days.

It says WW now right?

PattonT
12-06-2012, 10:44
Is there any reason to believe the case was over charge or is believed to be only a issue of a defective case.