Powder for Beartooth 200g. HC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Powder for Beartooth 200g. HC

blindman
10-29-2012, 20:27
Just got an order in of Beartooth 200g I'm looking for load data on AA#9. I currently have AA #9 and VV3n38. The vv powder does not meter well through my Lee powder measure. This would be used for taking deer size game. I can't find any data on the hard cast bullets. Can I use the same loads as a 200xtp? Any suggestions?

Any Cal.
10-29-2012, 21:04
The 200 xtp loads should be plenty safe. Pretty much any 200g jacketed load you find can be used. Lead will create lower pressure than jacketed due to it being softer than the copper jacket.

Taterhead
10-29-2012, 23:36
XTP data will be fine. These bullets are really short, thus take up less room in the case. XTPs seem to be a higher pressure bullet than any others I have used. Hornady's max is 13.2 grains for a 200 gr. XTP. Working up to that should not give any problems.

I load the Double Tap knockoff of the Beartooth 200 gr WFNGC hardcast. I believe that there are very slight dimensional differences, but Mike McNett of DT told me it was a nearly identical copy. They previously loaded the BT, but then insourced bullet production.

I did careful workups with Accurate no. 9 using a combination of older (meant no longer published data). When Speer cataloged a 200 gr TMJ they had a max of 14.0 gr with a CCI 350 primer. Accurate also used to separate data for 200 gr Speer vs 200 gr XTP bullets. The old Accurate data had a max of 13.5 grains for a 200 gr Speer bullet. Note that these are no longer in print, so neither Accurate nor Speer stands behind the load data, plus I am prone to typos, etc. Please verify the data and work up carefully. PLUS, the data was for a different 200 gr bullet type. This load data was a loose guideline for me, and it worked fine in my gun. Your mileage may vary, so please verify, reduce charge weights, and work up carefully.

I worked up to a max that split the different between the two loads and settled on 13.8 grains. Good function. Decent groups, and benign indications of excessive pressure. I used a CCI 350 primer as called for in the Speer data, but it likely would not be a requirement. The WFNGC bullets are pretty short, but I seated out to 1.26" to give plenty of room for powder. As far as I can tell these were not compressed.

That gives velocities of a little more than 1200 fps in my stock G20 barrel with a 22# Wolff RSA and the stock RSA. That should be plenty of bullet for deer and most likely would give a complete pass through.

Note that my workups were with Accurate no. 9 when it was made in Belgium. The newer American made stuff is produced by a different manufacturer and it is a little different. It is noticeably more dense, and seems to be less temp sensitive. The supply of ammo I have on hand is with the Belgian lots of powder, and I have not re-worked up the loads with the newer lots with the WFNGC specifically. I have with XTPs though and no cause for concern.

The bullets are fine in the stock G20 barrel - at least in my comparatively limited experience. I have loaded and shot plenty of them to test function, groups, and some terminal effects, but I do not make it a habit of blasting dozens of them at a time. They are my wilderness carry bullet and expensive, so I keep on hand what I need for walking around in the wilderness. Careful inspection for leading is a must with any lead bullet.

blindman
10-30-2012, 10:20
I appreciate the info.

I was unceartain of the proper load because the data I have shows a lower charge for lead than FMJ or XTP's. I know the Beartooth bullets have the gas check and are harder than lead so this probably makes a difference.

I will be using my modified glock 20 (6" LW barrel, 22# spring) or my Dan Wesson PM7.

orangeride
11-01-2012, 13:02
I've done quit a lot of shooting with the bt 200gr bullets in my stock 20. At first I was loading at 1.26 OAL but found when the mag got more than 5-6 rnds in it the meplets would start to drag in the mag causing jams. At least in my mags I had to go down to 1.242" OAL to get them to run right. I tried a #9 but couldn't get the fps I was looking for in the stock barrel. I ended up with a stiff load of Longshot to get me what I wanted. But your running a longer barrel so I think you'll be fine with a#9. Also make sure your running fresh mag springs cause you'll start getting some fast slide speeds with these loads cause ftf issues if your mags aren't up to speed.

orangeride
11-01-2012, 14:19
I've done quit a lot of shooting with the bt 200gr bullets in my stock 20. At first I was loading at 1.26 OAL but found when the mag got more than 5-6 rnds in it the meplets would start to drag in the mag causing jams. At least in my mags I had to go down to 1.242" OAL to get them to run right. I tried a #9 but couldn't get the fps I was looking for in the stock barrel. I ended up with a stiff load of Longshot to get me what I wanted. But your running a longer barrel so I think you'll be fine with a#9. Also make sure your running fresh mag springs cause you'll start getting some fast slide speeds with these loads cause ftf issues if your mags aren't up to speed.