COLT Lowers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : COLT Lowers?

bigmoney890
10-29-2012, 21:16
Why in the hell are these so hard to find? And when you do find them, why are they $500+? :dunno:

skew12
10-29-2012, 21:19
I believe people have started the pre-election run. Colt is a top notch manufacturer from what I've read.

bigmoney890
10-29-2012, 21:21
I believe people have started the pre-election run. Colt is a top notch manufacturer from what I've read.

I'm not buying that. There are plenty of lowers out there for it to not be driving the COLT lowers up that high.

Plus, i've been looking at some archived threads from the past few years for people looking for COLT lowers, and everyone says they are super expensive. The cheapest one I found was $499.00

skew12
10-29-2012, 21:32
I'm not buying that. There are plenty of lowers out there for it to not be driving the COLT lowers up that high.

Plus, i've been looking at some archived threads from the past few years for people looking for COLT lowers, and everyone says they are super expensive. The cheapest one I found was $499.00

Well then I would have to guess that their production is slow. They primarily make em for Uncle Sam, so he gets his supply first.

Also I believe you pay more for a Colt because of the amount of quality control and testing done to the rifles that they let leave their house. If I depended on a rifle to bring me back to my bunk every day, then that would be a major factor for me.

Ruggles
10-29-2012, 21:33
Cause they have that cute little pony on them, and nothing more. $500 for a lower is nuts who ever made it IMO, Colt quality is simply not that much better than the dozens and dozens of other brands of lowers out there.

Not to mention a lower is a hell of a lot harder to screw up than an upper IMO, pretty darn apples to apples when looking at lowers.

ColdBlooded
10-29-2012, 21:39
Clone builds. Every time someone puts a Colt lower up for sale, someone snatches it up for a clone build. If you just want a lower, there are plenty out there. If you want the Pony, expect to pay for it. The Colt lowers are no better or worse.

However, if you have a specific reason you wish for a Colt lower, such as a clone build, it is much easier to justify the higher price, than just wanting it to have it. I found it easier to justify the higher price of the lower, by just buying a 6920.

jb1911
10-29-2012, 21:46
I have a Colt lower that I paid $1000 for. The rest of an LE6920 came with it.

bigmoney890
10-29-2012, 21:47
However, if you have a specific reason you wish for a Colt lower, such as a clone build, it is much easier to justify the higher price, than just wanting it to have it. I found it easier to justify the higher price of the lower, by just buying a 6920.

Well I found a pretty good deal on a 6920 upper and I was just looking around at the possibility of "building" a 6920. Obviously buying a 500-600 lower would make the price right at or higher than buying a "factory" 6920.

If I do decide to build with the 6920 upper, i'm just gonna slap a noveske lower (I like their rollmark) and a PSA Lower build kit on it, and call it a day. I Figure it'll be a lot cheaper than trying to buy/build a complete Colt.

themighty9mm
10-29-2012, 21:52
Well I found a pretty good deal on a 6920 upper and I was just looking around at the possibility of "building" a 6920. Obviously buying a 500-600 lower would make the price right at or higher than buying a "factory" 6920.

If I do decide to build with the 6920 upper, i'm just gonna slap a noveske lower (I like their rollmark) and a PSA Lower build kit on it, and call it a day. I Figure it'll be a lot cheaper than trying to buy/build a complete Colt.
At the point of buying a noveske lower and a colt upper. Why not build something better than a 6920. I have 2 6920. They are great guns, no doubt. However, better can be had/made. At the point of putting the effort into making a 6920 clone that you are speaking of. Just build something even better.

WoodenPlank
10-29-2012, 22:10
You don't see Colt lowers for cheap because Colt doesn't sell separate lowers. They are all take-offs from complete Colt rifles.

Most lowers are functionally identical - buy the one with the markings you like best.

Stang_Man
10-29-2012, 22:13
I've read the 6920 is a great gun. This thread just solidifies it even more for me.

I'll use mine as a duty rifle, might be what I end up going with.

bigmoney890
10-29-2012, 22:17
At the point of buying a noveske lower and a colt upper. Why not build something better than a 6920. I have 2 6920. They are great guns, no doubt. However, better can be had/made. At the point of putting the effort into making a 6920 clone that you are speaking of. Just build something even better.

Well the 6920 upper is $600, then the chainsaw lower i'd get would be around $180 and then $100 for the build kit. Pretty hard to beat that gun for $880.

Even the low end BCM build would be $420 for the upper, $150 for the BCG, $300 for the lower, and then add in the handguards and you're right at the same price.

I could even go for a cheaper lower and put the price at around $800. Sure beats the ~1100 the factory 6920's are going for.

bigmoney890
10-29-2012, 22:19
You don't see Colt lowers for cheap because Colt doesn't sell separate lowers. They are all take-offs from complete Colt rifles.

Ah, makes sense. Colt should start selling a "small quantity" of stripped lowers, and make a fortune selling them separately :rofl:

Cole125
10-29-2012, 23:51
Most lowers are functionally identical - buy the one with the markings you like best.

Exactly, in fact the forging company that makes lower/upper receivers for Colt also produces them for quite a few other brand names.

There is a lot in a name. As long as you get a solid aluminum mil spec lower, none of that plastics BS, your good to go. The only real important parts of a AR are the bolt and the barrel.

faawrenchbndr
10-30-2012, 02:15
Quality parts,.......he'll a Colt LPK is nearly $300 alone!

samuse
10-30-2012, 07:03
Ah, makes sense. Colt should start selling a "small quantity" of stripped lowers, and make a fortune selling them separately :rofl:

Colt stripped lowers don't sell all that well. The assembly is what makes a Colt better than the POS some arfcommer cobbled together in his kitchen.

Most people who want Colts, aren't buying them for the rollmarks.

It kinda like the "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" thing.

If you wanna save money, open a bank account, don't get involved with ARs!

Travclem
10-30-2012, 07:21
Colt stripped lowers don't sell all that well. The assembly is what makes a Colt better than the POS some arfcommer cobbled together in his kitchen.

Most people who want Colts, aren't buying them for the rollmarks.

I agree. It seems that all of these "builds" that I have been seeing for sale will use a Noveske lower and DPMS LPK with a POS Olympic upper and a Truglo red dot. Then they advertise them as a Noveske and say the rest of the components in the fine print.

It's a lot safer to buy a Colt because there is a high chance that the parts in it are all Colt. This is a benefit of Colt not selling lowers to Jethro and Bubba.

jb1911
10-30-2012, 12:26

How is any lower better than a Colt lower?

bigmoney890
10-30-2012, 12:30

I think he was referring to a better gun overall, not a better lower.

Cole125
10-30-2012, 21:38
Quality parts,.......he'll a Colt LPK is nearly $300 alone!

Yeah and the funny thing is people will pay it because of the name.

Parts kits are parts kits, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between a DPMS kit and a DD kit.

bigmoney890
10-30-2012, 21:52
Yeah and the funny thing is people will pay it because of the name.

Parts kits are parts kits, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between a DPMS kit and a DD kit.

True, but that doesn't mean they are of equal quality.

Not saying they aren't, but just because they look the same, doesn't mean they are the same. Same with BCG's...

faawrenchbndr
10-31-2012, 02:13

Go buy both,......you CAN tell the difference!

However, this is a never-ending debate that will never end!

Kinda like, why buy a Mercedes when a Kia will get you to the same place.

mgs
10-31-2012, 06:14

I had a choice of 3 lowers to pick from for my last build....the Colt was the worst machined, finished and fit to my custom upper. I guess I should still buy it and sell for $400 on sale.

marvin
11-01-2012, 19:10
help me out. are you guys talking about stripped colt lowers for $500?

ColdBlooded
11-01-2012, 19:21
help me out. are you guys talking about stripped colt lowers for $500?

No the lowers are complete, IE ready to attach to uppers and shoot. They are take-offs from complete Colt rifles, as Colt does not sell individual lowers, for the most part. Some just don't see the point in paying that much when, for instance, you can get a complete BCM Lower with a Geissele trigger sans stock from G&R for $475.

Not really a big deal. If you just want a lower, there are plenty that fill the role. If you specifically want a Colt lower, you just have to pay more for it, even if the only thing different between the lowers is the rollmark.

marvin
11-01-2012, 22:45
No the lowers are complete, IE ready to attach to uppers and shoot. They are take-offs from complete Colt rifles, as Colt does not sell individual lowers, for the most part. Some just don't see the point in paying that much when, for instance, you can get a complete BCM Lower with a Geissele trigger sans stock from G&R for $475.

Not really a big deal. If you just want a lower, there are plenty that fill the role. If you specifically want a Colt lower, you just have to pay more for it, even if the only thing different between the lowers is the rollmark.

that's what i thought. but i could almost see people paying 500 for a stripped lowers from colt. i'm glad i was wrong

bigmoney890
11-02-2012, 12:09
that's what i thought. but i could almost see people paying 500 for a stripped lowers from colt. i'm glad i was wrong

Oh I have no doubt that there are people that would pay that much for one

marvin
11-03-2012, 11:10
Oh I have no doubt that there are people that would pay that much for one

wow
let's see if you buy a colts for $1100 strip the lower out and replace it with a $67 PSA, then sell the lower for $500. you would end with a all colt gun expect for the lower for $667. about the same as a MP sport.

agian wow

WoodenPlank
11-03-2012, 11:23
wow
let's see if you buy a colts for $1100 strip the lower out and replace it with a $67 PSA, then sell the lower for $500. you would end with a all colt gun expect for the lower for $667. about the same as a MP sport.

agian wow

I doubt you'd get $500 for a stripped Colt lower. You probably would be hard pressed to get $500 for a complete Colt lower with all original parts, unless it was some form of collectable/older/rare receiver, or something someone wanted for a very specific build.

faawrenchbndr
11-03-2012, 12:13
Pre-ban Colt lowers are selling for $900+