Duty ammo. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Duty ammo.

NEOH212
10-30-2012, 01:16
I'm sure this topic has come up before but here are my questions. These are questions for active and retired Law Enforcement officers so please don't post unless your LE please.

1. What does your department issue for duty ammo?

2. What is your issued/carried duty sidearm.

3. If you carry a bug, is the same caliber? If not, why and what ammo are you running in your bug?

4. Without going into detail, if you've ever deployed your duty ammo, are you satisfied with it's performance? Why or why not?

5. What duty round do you wish you were issued and why?

6. If you carry off duty, do you carry the same gun/ammo combination? Why or why not?

Thanks everybody!

:wavey:

msu_grad_121
10-30-2012, 01:45
1. Gold Dot in 9, 40 or 45. I carry the 200 gr. +P 45s.

2. Personally owned firearms from a pretty wide selection of quality manufacturers. Mine is a Springfield XD45 Tactical.

3. No BUG as of yet, reference answer #2 and my cheap-nicity for an explanation.

4. Never deployed it here, but years ago at my first agency, I used Federal Hi-Shoks +P+ (9BPLE) on an injured deer and had nothing but good things to say about it.

5. I'm content with the ammunition they've issued me for duty. Our firearms instructors did some pretty exhaustive research before selecting the ammo.

6. Don't carry off duty as of yet, see answer #3.

Sam Spade
10-30-2012, 02:49
1. Fed tactical bonded 165gr .40
2. G22 Gen 4
3. S&W 640, 135gr Gold Dot. Used to be a matching G27, but I decided I needed something that worked from inside a pocket.
4/5. I've been able to review most shootings with the round and I'm happy with the results. One of our primary considerations was being able to get thru glass etc and the bonded is doing it.
6. Off duty is G22/Fed Tactical again, occasionally the aforementioned G27. Commonality of training and familiarity.

indigent
10-30-2012, 03:12
1. Speer Gold Dot in the 230 gr. .45 ACP variety
2. Personally owned Springfield MC Operator
3. G26 9mm with Gold Dot 124 +P. I'd like a baby 1911, but the G26 was more affordable.
4. Never deployed it.
5. I'm happy with what I've got.
6. I carry my G26 off duty or my MC Operator depending on the situation.

collim1
10-30-2012, 04:47
P226 in .40 issued 165g Gold Dots and mandated to carry the issued gun and duty ammo.

The dept issues 147g 9mm Gold Dot and 135g short barrel Gold Dot for BUGs and off duty, but we are not required to carry their ammo. I use their ammo for my P239 9mm off duty gun and my 442 BUG.

Have only had one shooting in many years. A round from a handgun hit a BG in the shoulder shattering the bone and he dropped the knife he was threatening officers with.

Gombey
10-30-2012, 05:46
1. Winchester Ranger .40 cal. 180 grain

2. Glock 22

3. Glock 27. Speer Gold Dot 180 grain. I can't find my duty load locally. I can find the Speer. I also use it in my H&K

4. Thankfully I've never even drawn on duty. Outside of the range that is.

5. N/A

6. For the most part yes. Once in a while I strap on my HK45c loaded with Speer Gold dots. Can't remember the weight

Schaffer
10-30-2012, 07:06
1. Winchester ranger in 180 gr. bought personally, don't get issued anything for part time

2. Glock 22. Able to carry anything as long as its not single action or chambered in 44/45acp

3. Glock 27 with the same ammo. Makes the most sense to me.

4. Never had to deploy it but its got good reviews and all that.

5. Happy with it. Wish I was issued stuff to shoot tho...

6. Carry the 27 the most since I'm qualified with it. Sometimes I carry my g22. Usually have a spare 15 round mag loaded with the same ammo. I have a mag in the car that I think has some hornady tap loaded in it.( ammo came when I bought the 27)

All I. All I'm happy with my set up. I'm thinking of going back to 9mm so it'll probably be a Glock 19/26 combo with the same ammo. Just in 127 gr.

11A
10-30-2012, 07:10
1. Federal HST 180 grain .40 S&W

2. S&W M&P

3. No backup yet

4. I have not had to yet, but those who have don't seem to have any complaints.

5. I'm fine with our ammo; my agency conducted a lot of research before selecting it, and we average over 20 OIS a year. The round seems to hold up well.

6. I carry my issued weapon or the compact off duty.

Newcop761
10-30-2012, 12:17
Federal .40 S&W 180gr HST / Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr

Sig P229R DAK is issued, there is a list of a few approved alternatives.

3. If you carry a bug, is the same caliber? If not, why and what ammo are you running in your bug?
Glock 26 9mm. There is a list of approved secondary/off duty weapons. I'm confident with the Glock and the gold dot is a proven round.

4. Without going into detail, if you've ever deployed your duty ammo, are you satisfied with it's performance? Why or why not?
IIRC NYPD issued the 124 gr Gold Dot and has had good results. I don't know about the Federal HST. (XM40HC)

A bonded round, like the LE40T1.

6. If you carry off duty, do you carry the same gun/ammo combination? Why or why not?
Usually the Glock 26 w/ the issued ammo.

Thanks everybody!

Mayhem like Me
10-30-2012, 12:28
Duty gun.

1.Glock 35

2. Duty ammo Winchester 180 grain RA-T

back up Glock 27 same ammo

Hideout 638
Ammo hornandy 110 +p critical defense.

Off Duty Sig Scorpion 45 acp
Ammo winchester RA45 TP..
All ammo agency issued

Seen all rounds perform well in shootings wish for no other carry round ,,, excpept maybe ...10mm GASP

rockapede
10-30-2012, 13:13
I'm sure this topic has come up before but here are my questions. These are questions for active and retired Law Enforcement officers so please don't post unless your LE please.

1. What does your department issue for duty ammo? Federal .40 165gr HST

2. What is your issued/carried duty sidearm. Glock 22

3. If you carry a bug, is the same caliber? If not, why and what ammo are you running in your bug? Nope, 9mm. All of my personally owned pistols are 9mm. It's my preference for a lot of reasons. My BUG is a Beretta Nano with 124gr +P Gold Dots.

4. Without going into detail, if you've ever deployed your duty ammo, are you satisfied with it's performance? Why or why not? On a deer, once. Worked fine.

5. What duty round do you wish you were issued and why? I'm happy with HST, especially since we still issued Federal Hydrashok as late as last year.

6. If you carry off duty, do you carry the same gun/ammo combination? Why or why not? I only carry my duty gun occasionally. Typically I carry either my Nano or Glock 19, each always with a spare mag. On a very rare occasion I'll carry both.

Thanks everybody!

Answers in red.

hotpig
10-30-2012, 13:16
Duty G17 issued RA9T but any LE Spec is acceptable
Follow up/plain clothes work Colt 1911 issued RA45T any LE Sec acceptable
Back up/off duty Kahr CW9 issued RA9T mostly carry 147 PDX1. Right now I have Federal XM9001 but will run the new RA9B once Winchester starts making it.

Ohio Copper
10-30-2012, 13:41

Winchester ranger 180 grain 40s&e.

Glock 23 at one. Glock 22 at another. Same ammo issued by each. I also have a s&w m&p15x with Speer gold dots (issued).
Winchester x slugs in our Remington 870s.

Glock 27. Same issued ammo.

I'm confident with what we carry.

These work just fine.

Glock 27 off duty.

Thanks everybody!

You're welcome.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CBennett
10-30-2012, 16:12
We used Federal some kind of Shok ones lol Hi or Hydro or some such. worked well on a deer thats about all I can say :)

NEOH212
10-30-2012, 16:38
Thanks for all your replies everyone!

Very interesting!

lndshark
10-30-2012, 17:39
1. Federal HST, .40, 180 grain.

2. Springfield Armory XD40 Service.

3. No. BUG is a Kahr Arms PM9 (9mm). Issued BUG ammo is Gold Dot, 124 grain. BUG is personally-owned. I like 9mm.

4. N/A. Have only deployed previously-issued duty ammo (Gold Dot 180 grain) on roadkill.

5. Anything in 9mm or .45 ACP. I am not a fan of .40. Hopefully a change is in the works.

6. Off-duty I carry the PM9 with a spare magazine. I feel 9mm is a good fighting caliber for an off-duty encounter. I shoot very well with the PM9, am confident with my abilities using it, and trust it 100%

If we are allowed to carry personally-owned Glocks (our new boss is a Glock fan and is working on this), I will happily carry my G21SF. If/when that happens, I might procure a G36 for my BUG/OD carry. Or, I may trade my G21SF for a 4th GEN G17 and keep my PM9 for BUG/OD carry. I don't care for the ergos of the G26 but the G36 fits my hand.

Should the boss allow Glocks in .40 only (due to our surplus of duty/practice ammo), I may get a G35, but my conscious would haunt me for spending my own money on anything chambered in .40 S&W :rofl:

Great topic, BTW, NEOH212!

Bruce M
10-30-2012, 19:00
Winchester Ranger 230 gr RA45T for the last couple years, before they bought Federal HST; USP. Winchester Ranger 127 gr +p+ RA9TA Glock 26.

Nanuk
10-30-2012, 20:09
First I am happily retired.:embarassed:

1. Federal .40 HST 155 then 180 now?

2. H&K USP/c or P2000.

3. Not allowed by agency?

4. Not me, but others. It works.

5. HST is good?

6. Switched to Glocks and now to 357 Sig. because it hits with a wallop?

lawman800
10-30-2012, 22:11
i'm sure this topic has come up before but here are my questions. These are questions for active and retired law enforcement officers so please don't post unless your le please.

Winchester ranger sxt 9mm 127 gr. +p+ or 45acp 230 gr.

Personal g34 by choice

No. J-frame airweight 38. Ammo is same brand, 38 special ranger sxt +p. If i am going to pull the bug, it's gonna have to go bang every single time and i can count on the revolver to do that, even if i have to fire it inside a pocket or on a contact shot, i can keep pulling the trigger to rotate a cylinder to a fresh round instead of worrying about a pocket auto jamming.

Never. But training/firearms section is happy with it.

I am happy with the ranger.

Yes on caliber and ammo. Mandated by policy to only carry issued ammo. No personal ammo allowed, even in personal off duty weapons, as long as it is carried on department creds.

Thanks everybody!

Answers above in bold and underline.

bikerdog
10-30-2012, 23:35
1. 165 gr speer gold dot issued

2. Glock 22 issued.

3. Glock 27 because it is the only bug authorized by the department. Same ammo as my primary.

4. Never used it myself but I have personally seen its affect. Overall I was impressed and am happy with the round.

5. Given the choice I would stay with the gold dots

6. Off duty carry is the 27 with duty ammo. Main reason is if I have to use it off duty my training and experience with the department could come in handy if it goes to court.

Cochese
10-31-2012, 00:19

Thanks everybody!

1. RA9T (and Ranger in .40 and .45)
2. G17
3. G26 with same RA9T
4. Works as advertised
5. I'm good with this. Would be good with HST or GDs.
6. Same guns off duty. G17/X200 with two spare mags if I'm in the hood. G26 with a 17 round spare if I'm in the burbs or have slutty clothes on.

Cochese
10-31-2012, 00:21
All of our shootings with Ranger SXT in .40, 9mm and .45 have been fatal to the suspect.

Shot placement and round count won in every example.

Well, one was a double tap to the dome from contact distance with RA40T. That's a gimme.

CJStudent
10-31-2012, 00:56
1. Federal 124 gr +p HST (9mm). It has been Fiocchi of a similar weight and with (I think) the XTP bullet from Hornady for the last year; just switched to the Federal. Before the Fiocchi, it was Speer Gold Dot. Seems to be a new round each year.

2. Beretta 92D Vertec

3. No bugs allowed.

4. Never had to use it.

5. I'm happy with the Federal and the Speer; I don't know enough about the Fiocchi to make a judgement.

6. No; I carry a Glock 23 with 180 gr Ranger Bonded. I cannot find a Beretta 92D Vertec anywhere (pretty sure it was a special run just for my agency), and I already had the Glock when I started. It may get traded for a Gen-4 G17 shortly, though.

Chowser
10-31-2012, 02:12
1. We issue Winchester Ranger 125gr Bonded JHP and T-series SXT/JHP in 357SIG (state bid)

2. We currently issue gen3 Glock 31s and Glock 32s. I am testing a gen4 Glock 31 (I got four in to test)

3. My backup gun on duty was a Glock 32 but is now a Glock 33. Same caliber and can use magazines off my belt.

4. Have not had to deploy 357SIG ammo. We were not happy with our old .40 ammo. One lady took 8 rounds into her fat before she fell (after reloading her shotgun) and another guy took a glancing round to the temple and served 3 years and is back out.

5. I am happy with our current ammo. If we can get Winchester's new PDX1 in 357SIG on the state bid list, we'd get that.

6. I was carrying a Glock 32 and 33 off duty. I retired the 33 to body armor only gun when I bought a S&W Shield in 9mm. The 33 was just too thick for my pocket. The Shield fits perfect. I can't remember what ammo I have in it, I think we have Winchester Ranger 124gr. +P in 9mm.

for duty and off-duty and back up use, we MUST use department issued ammunition. We are not allowed to buy our own ammo or reload. We like it just fine that the city supplies our ammo. They supply FMJ for practice/training and JHP for carry use. We are limited to two different (or same? i guess) handguns for off duty use. They must be non-single action only semi-auto in 9mm, .40, .45, 357SIG. That is the only ammo the city will provide. Any back-up gun on duty must be the Glock 32 or Glock 33 because our issued weapon is the Glock 31.

This isn't really an issue since we are allowed to purchase ONE gun on our uniform allowance and we advise most of our officers to buy the 32 or 33. Most buy the 33. I bought a 32 and 33 before they limited us to only ONE gun during our career (I was under the impression one a year and the last guy was retiring and didn't care and approved it, the new guy in charge said ONE only). Dang.
:supergrin:

Mayhem like Me
10-31-2012, 04:24
6. Same guns off duty. G17/X200 with two spare mags if I'm in the hood. G26 with a 17 round spare if I'm in the burbs or have slutty clothes on.

You are such a slut...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dano1427
10-31-2012, 07:01
1. Winchester RA40T
2. SIG 226, in .40
3. dont carry a bug
4. Worked as designed
5. No changes, the issued stuff is reliable, accurate and has performed very well.
6. Either a g19 with CorBon 115gr in the summer, SIG 229, .40 with GDHP 165gr in winter Issued ammo isnt allowed off duty.

GD2J
10-31-2012, 07:29

Winchester ranger sxt 9mm 127 gr. +p+

G17

I work in a local jail. No bug allowed.

Never deployed, but satisfied from reading performance reviews.

Satisfied.

Off duty, I carry a Kahr PM9 with Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr. +P. It fits nicely in my pocket.

Thanks everybody!

Answers above in bold and red.

lawman800
10-31-2012, 08:04
Well, one was a double tap to the dome from contact distance with RA40T. That's a gimme.

DRT FTW!!!!!!!!!!!:supergrin::wow::faint::embarassed::wavey:

kayl
10-31-2012, 08:23
1. Federal HST 155gr

2. S&W M&P .40

3. BUG policy is coming, not sure if I'll carry my M&P .40c on the vest or 442 in the pocket. M&P would have duty ammo, 442 Speer GDSB.

4. No experience

5. Not sure

6. Yup, M&P .40c with a spare 15rd mag 99+% of the time, 442 otherwise

DonGlock26
10-31-2012, 08:24
My Dept. issued Golddots, Win RangerT, and Federal HST depending on the price and who ordered it. I was happy with all three.

merlynusn
10-31-2012, 09:37
1. Winchester Ranger 180gr .40S&W
2. S&W M&P 40
3. I carried the M&P40C. I don't carry one now.
4. Never deployed it, but there don't seem to be issues. It's all shot placement.
5. Satisfied
6. I carry my issued M&P40.

G21FAN
10-31-2012, 11:38
1. Zero Ammunition. some JHP some Ball. Used for quals and given if you ask for it .

2. S&W M&P357 357sig personal

3. S&W 37-2 .38spl. Personal. Buffalo Bore 158 LSWC-HP +P

4. Carry 125 HSTs by choice, very happy with performace, Never involved in OIS

5. Happy with HSTs, Ranger -T, Golden Saber Bonded, or the Cor-Bon 125 loads.

6. Same as BUG w/ occ my LW Government .45 with 230 HSTs

Hack
10-31-2012, 13:15
Winchester; Remington; Federal 9mm Luger, (cost considerations).

Ruger P89 issued.

No BUG.

Have yet to deploy, range firing only.

Prefer 45 ACP for man stopping capability. But 9mm Luger is what I am issued, and routinely use off duty. I use the same off duty, because that is what I am issued and qualify with.

I carry Glock 17 off duty.

Because it is semi auto is similar enough for me to warrant carrying routinely. The trigger on the Glock 17 is a little bit more defined as to reset, but Ruger P89 has a reset at about the same area on theirs; so it is not too different. The safeties on the Glock 17 and the lightness of the frame; as well as the tennifer finish, and anti-corrosion chemicals applied to the internal parts are what sold me on the Glock overall. And, holsters are easier to find for the Glock.

Cochese
10-31-2012, 14:27
You are such a slut...

No argument here. :whistling:

DRT FTW!!!!!!!!!!!:supergrin::wow::faint::embarassed::wavey:

Yeah, he made a mess.

Patchman
10-31-2012, 16:45
On duty is G19. Off duty is G19 (or very rarely, a G26). Both loaded with issued Gold Dot 124 gr 9mm +P.

SHTF handguns are another G19 and two .38 S&W K-frames. The G19 is also loaded with the Gold Dot duty ammo, and the two .38s with a mix of previously issued .38 duty ammo. (158 gr LSWC +P, 158 gr LSWC-HP +P, or Gold Dot 135 gr .38 +P).

SCSU74
10-31-2012, 23:37

Thanks everybody!

1. Speer gold dot pistol ammo. Federal tactical t3 bonded rifle

2. Dept issues sig 226r in .40. I carry personally owned Glock 17. We are allowed to carry any sig or Glock in 9, 40 or 45

3. S&W 637 airweight. Gold dot short barrel ammo, I think it's 135g. Revolvers make better bug's for a variety of reasons, the majority have been discussed in other threads.

4. Very satisfied. No issues I've come across.

5. Gold dots are the best you can do for pistol ammo. Wouldn't be upset if issued hst's though.

6. See #5 regarding ammo choice. As far as off duty gun I rotate between my 17 and 19 depending on the weather and what I'm wearing.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

SCSU74
10-31-2012, 23:42
1. Federal 124 gr +p HST (9mm). It has been Fiocchi of a similar weight and with (I think) the XTP bullet from Hornady for the last year; just switched to the Federal. Before the Fiocchi, it was Speer Gold Dot. Seems to be a new round each year.

2. Beretta 92D Vertec

3. No bugs allowed.

4. Never had to use it.

5. I'm happy with the Federal and the Speer; I don't know enough about the Fiocchi to make a judgement.

6. No; I carry a Glock 23 with 180 gr Ranger Bonded. I cannot find a Beretta 92D Vertec anywhere (pretty sure it was a special run just for my agency), and I already had the Glock when I started. It may get traded for a Gen-4 G17 shortly, though.

How/why are bugs not allowed??

SCSU74
10-31-2012, 23:43

2. Beretta 92D Vertec

3. No bugs allowed.

4. Never had to use it.

How/why are bugs not allowed?

NEOH212
11-01-2012, 01:54
1. Federal HST 155gr

2. S&W M&P .40

3. BUG policy is coming, not sure if I'll carry my M&P .40c on the vest or 442 in the pocket. M&P would have duty ammo, 442 Speer GDSB.

4. No experience

5. Not sure

6. Yup, M&P .40c with a spare 15rd mag 99+% of the time, 442 otherwise

I haven't had the chance to get my hands on any 155 HST yet? What's the recoil like compared to a full power 165 grain load?

NEOH212
11-01-2012, 01:55
No argument here. :whistling:

Yeah, he made a mess.

Do you need a towel? :whistling:

:tongueout:

NEOH212
11-01-2012, 01:57
Is it me or does it seem like Winchester, Speer and Federal pretty much dominate the duty ammo?

Not that it's a bad thing!

:cool:

lawman800
11-01-2012, 08:57
Is it me or does it seem like Winchester, Speer and Federal pretty much dominate the duty ammo?

Big recognizable name and manufacturing capacity to supply the demand of the market is paramount. Police purchasing agents are driven by bottom line and volume pricing is a factor, no matter how much they want to be saying they buy the best ammo after their exhaustive testing, aka free range time for the crew.

There are some big departments down here that went with the Winchester and the order volume in SoCal alone is crazy, with literally millions of rounds, duty and practice ammo, going downrange every month for qualifying and other trainings.

A smaller company would not be able to keep up with demand, simple as that, nor offer good pricing for the volume demanded.

The name comes in for easy legal defense. Your department gets sued for shooting someone, which always happens, the ammo will be brought in right away. What brand, which type, how much training do your guys have with it, what's the testing data, etc.

Winchester is a solid name with solid company testing data and quality control that makes it a non-issue versus a smaller company which might not have that and it's why Bubba Joe's garage made special 2 legged varmint huntin' grandpa's secret recipe reloads are specifically prohibited from being in a duty gun.

boomhower
11-01-2012, 14:49
1. 180GR Gold Dots
2. Glock 22 Gen 4
3. Nope, no .40's fit my needed criteria of size and ammo capacity. Currently carrying a Sig P938 with 147GR Gold Dots.
4. No
5. If I could choose any round I would keep this round for a duty round but would choose others for off duty, just couldn't get my hands on them in time to qualify.
6. I carry my BUG off-duty. My previous off duty carry was a P239-40 and didn't see the point of qualifying with it too as it does nothing the 9mm doesn't other than being bigger and heavier.

CJStudent
11-01-2012, 15:53
How/why are bugs not allowed?

I'm a Correctional Officer. We're not allowed personal weapons on the grounds, nor while on duty anywhere else (I mostly work hospital details right now). On duty, we can carry anywhere in the US (including airplanes, if needed). Off-duty, we can carry anywhere in the US (via LEOSA). We just can't carry to or from work, which makes zero sense to me. Because of that policy, no BUGs.

SEH95B
11-01-2012, 19:52
1. Federal HST .40 S&W 165 Grn

2. Glock 22/23 (mines a 23)

3. Backup is Glock 27 with the same ammo (ammo issued)

I like the 180 Gold Dot just because I have used it for years with no issues in any of my weapons.

lawman800
11-01-2012, 22:08
So what do you guys do on your commute? Just wish for the best?

Cochese
11-01-2012, 22:12
Do you need a towel? :whistling:

:tongueout:

I keep one around for that type of stuff.

:rofl:

lawman800
11-02-2012, 01:05
I keep one around for that type of stuff.

:rofl:

What else do you keep a towel around for? C'mon, tell the truth.

SCSU74
11-02-2012, 09:19

And Speer/federal is made by the same people (atk) :)

GlockWheeler
11-02-2012, 12:28
I am a medically retired officer working a civilian position for a small LE agency. The agency I am working for is as follows:

Federal 45 ACP 230 Grain HST+P and 40 S&W 180 grain HST for pistol, Winchester 164 Grain Power Point in .223 Remington.

Recently traded our Gen 3 G22's for 4th Gen G21 pistols. Department issues Colt LE6920 carbines. Reserve officers carry G22 or G21 pistols (which they personally purchase).

Officers are allowed to carry BUG chambered in 9mm/40S&W/45ACP. The majority are carrying G27's.

Knock on wood, our agency has only had to use duty weapons to dispatch deer/dogs. In that use all have been one shot stops:whistling:.

Our officers are very pleased with their G21/HST+P combination so far. They consistently qualify with slightly higher scores since switching pistols/caliber for whatever reason. The only other LE load I would personally select would be the Speer Gold Dot.

I carry on a personal basis, but my pistol/ammo combination is different (Glock 29/Double Tap 165 Grain Golden Sabre or Gold Dot). I have found the G29 to be a very accurate and powerful carry combination that has less recoil than a comparably sized 40 S&W handgun. I also have a Glock 30 that I carry on occasion loaded with Federal 230 Grain HST+P, but prefer the 10mm Auto.

CJStudent
11-02-2012, 13:52
So what do you guys do on your commute? Just wish for the best?

That's pretty much the only (official) option.

Hack
11-02-2012, 17:10
That's pretty much the only (official) option.

Like he said. We don't like it. Feel free to write your Congress during the next session. We would like that to change. Puerto Rico right now is the only exception.

Sent from my communicator.

lawman800
11-02-2012, 18:17
Like he said. We don't like it. Feel free to write your Congress during the next session. We would like that to change. Puerto Rico right now is the only exception.

That's not bad, maybe Guam and the Mariannas can be next.:tongueout:

Not bad progress for our 57 states.:rofl:

Hack
11-02-2012, 19:05
That's not bad, maybe Guam and the Mariannas can be next.:tongueout:

Not bad progress for our 57 states.:rofl:

The one facility that takes care of those, and others in the Pacific is MDC Honolulu. Lots of luck getting Hawaii on board.

But, pending the outcome of this election it may be possible to resurrect or construct a new bill with us BOP staff in mind concerning carry of firearms to work.

BLACK Z
11-04-2012, 16:15

A. Speer Gold Dot 165 Gr, Used to be the 180 Gr Hydro Shok ( which I liked better)

A. 4th Gen Glock 22 ( Was the 3rd Gen 22 since 1998 intill now )

A. I carry A Glock 27 and I carry The 180 Gr Hydro Shok in it.

A. Yes and it did ok.

A. I would like for them to Switch back to a 180 Gr in either HST or the Gold Dot.

A. I carry either a Glock 27 or a 23 with 180 Gr Hydro Shok.
I have hundreds of rounds of Gold DOt Just seem to shoot the Hydro Shoks better.

GumbyDammit
11-04-2012, 23:12
1. Federal HST .40 S&W 165 Grn

2. G22c

3. I carry an LCP as a BUG and when I get up to pee in the night, loaded with 90gr Hornady TAP. It's small and easy to carry 24/7 & the Hornady's have been solid cycling.

4. Our last OIS (not me) left the BG DRT with 4 rounds COM. Did the job without issue from ~8 ft.

5. No issues to date & no regrets.

6. See #3. I also frequently carry a G23c loaded with the same Federal duty rounds instead of the LCP... or in addition to it if I'm going to Cheesy's neighborhood. :tongueout:

DaBigBR
11-05-2012, 00:52
Late to the party here:

We were just issued Hornady Critical Duty .40 in 175gr. Prior to that we were carrying Federal HST in 180gr. The only permissible duty load is the one being issued.

Patrol humps like me carry an issued G22RTF2. Investigators are issued and have the option of carrying a G22RTF2 or a G23.

I carry a .38 revolver as a BUG for reasons that have been repeated in multiple threads for years. I am running the short barrel version of Speer's 135gr +P Gold Dot. The load was selected because:

1) It's bonded.
2) It's intended for short barreled guns.

The day before I started with my current agency, we had an officer shoot somebody multiple times with the HST we had been carrying. There was general dissatisfaction with the terminal performance of the round, which motivated the move away from it.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, we don't shoot very many people, so we are short on first-hand performance data. If I recall correctly, the last time we shot somebody was in the mid to late 1990s.

I am a firm believer in selecting and carrying ammunition that consistently delivers 12-15" of penetration through all mediums. Because of this, my preference is vastly in the direction of bonded ammunition, particularly for performance when shooting through auto glass. We selected and exclusively used Speer Gold Dot at my last agency basically for this reason and this is the ammunition that I continue to carry in my off duty and backup guns.

It is my understanding that the Hornady Critical Duty ammunition we are carrying as our duty load now is not bonded, but is designed to perform similar to bonded ammunition. The reviews, videos, and gel test measurments that I have seen are encouraging.

I have a variety of guns that I am qualified to carry off duty. All of them (.380, .38, 9mm, .40, and .45) are loaded with Speer Gold Dot bonded hollow points. I trust the ammunition and am familiar with its ballistic performance.

LC Deputy
11-05-2012, 15:15
1. What does your department issue for duty ammo? Black Hills Ammo .40 cal

2. What is your issued/carried duty sidearm. Glock 22 or 23

3. If you carry a bug, is the same caliber? If not, why and what ammo are you running in your bug? The guys that carry bug carry the mini .40 (27 I believe)

4. Without going into detail, if you've ever deployed your duty ammo, are you satisfied with it's performance? Why or why not? They seem to be happy with it. Been using it for as long as I remember

6. If you carry off duty, do you carry the same gun/ammo combination? Why or why not? I carry my G38. Body is very close to my G22 only in .45. Love the gun

cowboy1964
11-05-2012, 20:39
Late to the party here:

We were just issued Hornady Critical Duty .40 in 175gr. Prior to that we were carrying Federal HST in 180gr.

The day before I started with my current agency, we had an officer shoot somebody multiple times with the HST we had been carrying. There was general dissatisfaction with the terminal performance of the round, which motivated the move away from it.

Any idea what the complaint was? My guess would be perhaps they thought penetration was lacking?

.40 Hornady CRITICAL DUTY Ammo Review & Gel Test - YouTube

.40 Federal HST 180 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube

Rex G
11-06-2012, 03:41
1. Nothing; we buy our ammo, within guidelines. .40 is the mandated standard for primary duty pistols.

2. We are not issued firearms. We buy our own, within guidelines. I carry a SIG P229R DAK. I could have chosen DA/SA. Other authorized pistols: P226, G22, G23, M&P40. It is the usual practce in this region of the USA for officers to purchase or otherwise furnish our duty firearms.

3. No. I use Speer .357 Short Barrel and Winchester Silvertip .357 Magnum 145-grain, or even full-pressure .357 125-grain Speer Gold Dots, depending upon the weapon.

4. Yes. At the time, it was .357 Magnum, and the effect of the one shot was immediate and devastating.

5. Well, to start, .40 is too snappy. 9mm +P or .45 ACP, please; any decent controlled-expansion bonded JHP is fine.

6. No! I do not favor double-column-mag pistols, as I have not been blessed with long fingers and thumbs.

DaBigBR
11-06-2012, 19:47
Any idea what the complaint was? My guess would be perhaps they thought penetration was lacking?[/url]

In short? The guy took multiple hits at close range and did not die.

x_out86
11-07-2012, 06:47
Winchester Ranger T-Series 165gr.
G22
Ruger LCP with Remington Golden Saber 102gr. Have a G27 that I carry off-duty and had planned on using as my BUG, but could never find a place to carry it that worked well. I am a thin guy and couldnt find a location to carry the G27 that didnt stick out like a sore thumb or be uncomfortable.
Luckily no, I have never deployed it so I cant answer.
Never had any complaints about the Ranger.
I carry the same off duty depending on the situation. I carry the G27 if possible, but if I cant easily and concealed pack my G27, my LCP becomes my primary.

Mark9Fogger
11-07-2012, 11:24
I'm a Correctional Officer. We're not allowed personal weapons on the grounds, nor while on duty anywhere else (I mostly work hospital details right now). On duty, we can carry anywhere in the US (including airplanes, if needed). Off-duty, we can carry anywhere in the US (via LEOSA). We just can't carry to or from work, which makes zero sense to me. Because of that policy, no BUGs.
Same here, except we CAN carry to and from work. Gun lockers are provided at the gatehouse for officers like myself that carry all the time.

1. Winchester 130-grain 38 spl +P bonded PDX1 ammo

2. S&W 65/66 wheelgun! We have a ton of G22s and G35s stored in the armory just waiting for someone downtown to finally give the ok for us to be issued the Glocks.

3. N/A. My agency doesn't allow BUGs.

4. No

5. No issues with the PDX1s

6. I carry my G23 off-duty. I have an ample supply of PDX1s, Speer GDs, & Corbon DPXs that I rotate in my mags for my 40S&W Glocks. I just bought a box of Hornady's Critical Duty for cheap at a gun shack ($18.99). I mainly try to keep the 140-grain DPXs in my G23 because it generates far less of a "snap" in recoil that the other heavier rounds I have.

Horror
11-07-2012, 11:56
1. RUAG 9mm Sintox Action 4

2. Sig Sauer P226R 9mm

3. no bug

4. -

5. -

6. yes, same combination

BigSpenda864
11-07-2012, 14:07
Answers in red.

Hornady Critical Duty .40 175gr

I can carry anything within certain specs. I was carrying a Sig 226 in 9mm then switched to an FNP .45 Tactical but now carry a Glock 35.

Glock 26 when I carry a bug. Gold Dot 9mm (can't recall the grain). This is the duty ammo I was issued when I carried the Sig 226.

I've broken leather (now nyoln to be accurate) on many occasions but, luckily, I have never discharged a weapon in the line of duty.

I think the Gold Dot was fine in my 9mm and I love the Hornaday Critical Defense so far.

I carry my bug off duty and us the Gold Dot ammo I carry when on duty.

vanilla_gorilla
11-07-2012, 20:46
1. For me, Winchester 147 Ranger

2. Personally-owned M&P 9mm

3. Glock 26 for BUG, with personally-purchased Winchester Ranger 147

4. Have not deployed any ammo

5. Perfectly happy with what I get

6. Carry my M&P off duty with the same ammo, as well