Ready to seat my first bullet! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ready to seat my first bullet!

gunowner1
10-30-2012, 16:15
I've been waiting for this day! I had a guy come over and show me a few things. I got a primer in, powder is measuring right,and I think I'm ready. Before I seat the first bullet somebody check my load data: Hornady 124gr FMJ over 4.0 gr. of Unique with a A.O.L. of 1.51. I am not seating this bullet till someone says those stats are right.:supergrin:

Three-Five-Seven
10-30-2012, 16:23
It sure would help to know what caliber you're dealing with.

gunowner1
10-30-2012, 16:24
Sorry 9mm.

gunowner1
10-30-2012, 16:42
Ok no answers I'm loading it!

F106 Fan
10-30-2012, 16:43
Where did you get your load data? According to Hornady 8th Edition, for the 124 gr FMJ, the COL would be 1.150" so your 1.151" will be fine. It's doubtful that you will be able to keep +- 0.003" even under ideal conditions.

The 4.0 gr charge or Unique is very light. It may not even be enough to cycle the gun. So, don't load any more than you want to shoot single-shot.

Next time you are at the store, pick up a copy of "Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading" 8th Edition.

Richard

gunowner1
10-30-2012, 16:49
Hornady 7th edition starts at 4.0gr of Unique. How high do you think I should start at Richard? I know I am fully responsible for data gotten off the net but you've helped alot and would appreciate a suggestion.

unclebob
10-30-2012, 17:03
I would go to at least 4.4. That is what I have been using but with a plated bullet.

F106 Fan
10-30-2012, 17:32
Hornady 7th edition starts at 4.0gr of Unique. How high do you think I should start at Richard? I know I am fully responsible for data gotten off the net but you've helped alot and would appreciate a suggestion.

You need to work your way up.

I don't know what load will cycle the gun and shoot well so I would load a few (like 5, not 50) at each 0.1 gr between 4.0 and, perhaps 4.7 gr. Hornday 8th lists 5.0 gr as max.

4.7 gr should give you somewhere around 1050 fps. That would give you a power factor of (124 * 1050) or 130,200 which we typically divide by 1000 and call 130. The minimum for IDPA competition is 125. So, at 1050, you're in the right neighborhood. Even at 4.7 the load should feel good.

It isn't a matter of whether or not you plan to compete. It's just picking a goal out of thin air and having some basis for it.

I could see starting a little higher like, perhaps 4.4 gr. That's just below mid-range and eliminates loading 4.0 - 4.3 gr which are likely to be too light. Especially since I know I am headed toward 4.7 gr.

Anyway, that's how I would approach it.

Richard

shotgunred
10-30-2012, 17:39
I've been waiting for this day! I had a guy come over and show me a few things. I got a primer in, powder is measuring right,and I think I'm ready. Before I seat the first bullet somebody check my load data: Hornady 124gr FMJ over 4.0 gr. of Unique with a A.O.L. of 1.51. I am not seating this bullet till someone says those stats are right.:supergrin:

What gun are you planning on using? Have you tried an A.O.L. of 1.51 with its mag?
That seems long for a Glock mag. Most people run Glocks a lot shorter than that. I would be surprised if anything over 1.145 would work with a full Glock mag.

F106 Fan
10-30-2012, 17:49
Good catch ^^^^^

I had read the original post as 1.151" whereas it actually says 1.51". I think the bullet will fall out of the case!

I'm not sure there is much difference between 1.145" and 1.151" in terms of powder charge. If the rounds don't fit the magazine, the OAL will need to be reduced.

At some point the reduced OAL will require a reduced charge. This is a good reason to stay away from max.

Make up 3 or 4 dummy rounds (no primers, no powder), load them into the magazine and cycle them through the gun.

Richard

unclebob
10-30-2012, 17:53
What gun are you planning on using? Have you tried an A.O.L. of 1.51 with its mag?
That seems long for a Glock mag. Most people run Glocks a lot shorter than that. I would be surprised if anything over 1.145 would work with a full Glock mag.

1.169 will work in any of my 9mm Glock mags. Even though I do load shorter.

gunowner1
10-30-2012, 18:05
It was a typo. 1.151 is what I am loading to. It fits in the case gauge.

gunowner1
10-30-2012, 19:01
Ok, five rounds at 4.4 , five rounds at 4.6 . five rounds at 4.8. Since it was my first go at this I weighed each one individually. I'll get " progressive as I get more comfortable. I didn'tthink I was going to reload fifty shells at my first sitting. Off to the range early to test them. They should be fine.They are all marked and all fit into the 9mm case gauge I got.

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2012, 19:42
It was a typo. 1.151 is what I am loading to. It fits in the case gauge.

Most case gauges do nothing to tell you a about oal. Check the. in your barrel.

emtjr928
10-30-2012, 20:12
most case gauges do nothing to tell you a about oal. Check the. In your barrel.

+1000

gunowner1
10-30-2012, 20:21
They all fit in my G19 barrel and all fit in the magazine. I sure as hell am not cycling them through my gun by hand in the house. I'll check them at the range. Wish me luck.

F106 Fan
10-30-2012, 22:10
They all fit in my G19 barrel and all fit in the magazine. I sure as hell am not cycling them through my gun by hand in the house. I'll check them at the range. Wish me luck.

There is a process known as the 'kerplunk' test. You take the barrel out of the gun and drop rounds in the chamber. They should go in easily ('kerplunk'), rotate on the case mouth, the bullet should not touch the rifling and they should drop out.

One way to test the case mouth rub and bullet no-rub is to color the case mouth and bullet with a Sharpie. The ink should rub off at the places where the loaded round drags in the chamber.

You can also see that the case head is flush or slightly below the hood on the chamber. This is really just testing headspacing and you already know this is correct if the rounds have passed a case gauge.

Most competitive shooters do a lot of 'kerplunk' testing before they take long road trips to far away matches. It's cheap insurance.

Your case gauge will probably match a maximum length 9mm which is 1.169" according to SAAMI. Your gun may, or may not, feed a 1.169" round. It may also depend on bullet type. That's the reason for cycling some dummies through the magazine and action. Some bullet styles just don't feed well unless the length is correct.

Richard

gunowner1
10-31-2012, 20:21
All twenty rounds shot off without a hitch. The R.O. at the range was right there the whole time. Not really sure what rounds felt the best. It was a great feeling firing off rounds I made. I collected my brass and will create a " Once Fired Bin."