Reciprocity: unrestricted CCW.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reciprocity: unrestricted CCW....

steveksux
10-30-2012, 18:07
So I might be going out of state for the Xmas holidays, and just thought of something interesting.

I have an unrestricted CPL due to being a reserve officer, I'm exempt from the normal no carry zones. Other states have reciprocity agreements with MI. I'm assuming the answer is no, but just to throw the question out there, do other states have unrestricted versions of the normal CCW permits, and if they do, does reciprocity grant me the same unrestricted rights in that state if they have reciprocity with MI, or does reciprocity just grant me the watered down standard CCW privs in that state? If they recognize my permit, it IS unrestricted after all... :supergrin:

In case you're wondering, I'm pretty sure LEOSA does not cover MI reserves, as we don't have statutory arrest authority as far as I'm aware.

Randy

BL33D 4 M3
10-30-2012, 18:33
Just be careful of Wisconsin. Those ****ers will pooch you and laugh.

kayl
10-30-2012, 18:39
Just be careful of Wisconsin. Those ****ers will pooch you and laugh.

There's got to be a backstory to this statement...

OP, WI recognizes the MI CPL...

Gallium
10-30-2012, 19:35
No, the states that do the idiotic tiered permits are the states that grudgingly issue permits to non-residents, or to their own residents.

For example, MA has a tiered system. No reciprocity without their permit.
NY also has a tiered system (make that cluster**** of systems), no reciprocity.

If state B honors you state's permit, you follow the rules of the state you are in.

- G

DaBigBR
10-30-2012, 20:12
In case you're wondering, I'm pretty sure LEOSA does not cover MI reserves, as we don't have statutory arrest authority as far as I'm aware.

We had this one out a few months back. I agree with your assessment. One very vocal individual in that thread believed that we were wrong because reserves have the statutory ability to make a CITIZEN'S ARREST. I think not.

steveksux
10-30-2012, 20:18
No, the states that do the idiotic tiered permits are the states that grudgingly issue permits to non-residents, or to their own residents.

For example, MA has a tiered system. No reciprocity without their permit.
NY also has a tiered system (make that cluster**** of systems), no reciprocity.

If state B honors you state's permit, you follow the rules of the state you are in.

- GMI is actually a shall issue state... not sure I'd call it a tiered system. You're either subject to the pistol free zones, or not. I suppose that's a 2 tiered system...

Randy

steveksux
10-30-2012, 20:19
We had this one out a few months back. I agree with your assessment. One very vocal individual in that thread believed that we were wrong because reserves have the statutory ability to make a CITIZEN'S ARREST. I think not.:rofl: I remember that, I can assure you, I was NOT that vocal individual...

Randy

lens
10-31-2012, 07:49
Reciprocity on permits means that you would have the same privileges as a resident with a permit (unless some exception is carved out in the state laws for the state you are visiting).

LEOSA (IIRC) does not allow you to carry everywhere just because you can do that in your home state. If I am correct on that, see my first paragraph.

Hoser423
10-31-2012, 08:50
.....................never mind

merlynusn
10-31-2012, 09:31
We only have a "one tiered" system. CCW gets to carry per the CCW laws. Cops can pretty much carry anywhere. Since you don't have statutory authority as a reserve, that would mean you rely on your CPL so you'd fall under the CCW laws.

steveksux
10-31-2012, 12:44
Reciprocity on permits means that you would have the same privileges as a resident with a permit (unless some exception is carved out in the state laws for the state you are visiting).

LEOSA (IIRC) does not allow you to carry everywhere just because you can do that in your home state. If I am correct on that, see my first paragraph.

I thought LEOSA let you ignore state no carry zones...

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

steveksux
10-31-2012, 12:46
We only have a "one tiered" system. CCW gets to carry per the CCW laws. Cops can pretty much carry anywhere. Since you don't have statutory authority as a reserve, that would mean you rely on your CPL so you'd fall under the CCW laws.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/) yup, I was afraid of that.... Just started getting used to not having to worry about no carry zones anymore.... Now I gotta look up all the states I'll be in/ through.

Randy

Randy

BigSpenda864
10-31-2012, 13:25
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/) yup, I was afraid of that.... Just started getting used to not having to worry about no carry zones anymore.... Now I gotta look up all the states I'll be in/ through.

Randy

Randy
Yep, you are basically just another CWP carrier outside of your state since you cannot carry nationwide under LEOSA unless you are a "qualified" officer.

CJStudent
10-31-2012, 13:40

Randy

It does, with the exception of government property, and if the property owner posts it (if state law allows this).

RussP
10-31-2012, 14:46
:rofl: I remember that, I can assure you, I was NOT that vocal individual...

RandyFor once...

:animlol: I could NOT resist :rofl:

Kingarthurhk
10-31-2012, 15:42
I have a CCL, but if I am going to travel, I prefer to carry the badge and gun. One, I know where it is. Two, there really isn't too many places I can't take it.

Bren
10-31-2012, 16:04

Randy

It does, except for those specifically allowed by LEOSA:

(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State tható
(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

jph02
10-31-2012, 18:36

Randy

Randy
This. You have to comply with both MI CPL laws and the laws of the state you're in. What might not be pistol free in MI (or, in your case, exempted) might be no carry in another state, so you couldn't carry there just because you have a MI CPL. If you weren't exempted, you couldn't carry in the pistol free zones in another state if they're allowed there because that would be counter to your CPL, though I doubt the other state would enforce it and it doesn't seem likely MI would ever know without any kind of enforcement action.

steveksux
11-02-2012, 20:43
What might not be pistol free in MI (or, in your case, exempted) might be no carry in another state, so you couldn't carry there just because you have a MI CPL. Agree with this

If you weren't exempted, you couldn't carry in the pistol free zones in another state if they're allowed there because that would be counter to your CPL, though I doubt the other state would enforce it and it doesn't seem likely MI would ever know without any kind of enforcement action.Have seen this proposed before, but doubt that is the case. If that were true, someone from Chicago couldn't use a non-resident permit in a state they're visiting because everywhere in Chicago is a no pistol zone.

Michigan forbids carry in certain types of places in Michigan. Those prohibitions don't apply in other states since Michigan has no jusrisdiction over those types of places in the the other states. The cops in other states have no authority to enforce MI laws in Michigan, let alone their state.

Technically no way to tell who's right until there's case law. However, I suppose you could use DL's as a guide. Do other states enforce MI restrictions on a teen DL in their state? Or do they have their own guidelines/restrictions for new teen drivers which apply to MI teen drivers while in their state?

Randy

maddog3241
11-02-2012, 23:09
I have the same issue that Randy has. A reserve with an exempted CPL. Thanks for all the advice.

Matt