plates should be three strings [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : plates should be three strings

S.Kargoh
10-30-2012, 19:40
Discuss.

emtjr928
10-30-2012, 19:44
Plates are shot with four strings in order to balance out the time it takes to shoot each stage. Done for traffic flow.

SARDG
10-30-2012, 20:04
Plates are shot with four strings in order to balance out the time it takes to shoot each stage. Done for traffic flow.
This is correct... you were paying attention in Mark's RO 'class'. Who knew? :tongueout:

emtjr928
10-30-2012, 20:07
Not too shabby for a one eyed guy.:whistling:

9mmdude
10-30-2012, 20:41
Plates should be 5 strings, that is why boxes of ammo come in 50.

Alexd29
10-30-2012, 20:56
Plates should be 5 strings, that is why boxes of ammo come in 50.

Well, by that school of thought, plates should be 8 strings... if your good :tease:

1RoundEye
10-30-2012, 21:03

Interesting. I always wondered why the two other stages were theee strings, and the plates were four.

SARDG
10-30-2012, 21:14
Well, by that school of thought, plates should be 8 strings... if your good :tease:
Or in my case, perhaps two-33 round strings. Spray and pray...

SARDG
10-30-2012, 21:30
Interesting. I always wondered why the two other stages were theee strings, and the plates were four.
Actually, interesting info can always be gleaned at the RO briefings - and even more-so since Mark Ramsey showed up on the scene. (Don't want to say too many nice things about him though, as he's suggested that he reads GT/GSSF.) :tongueout:

in theory, anyone could hang on the sidelines at those 0830 briefings and be a fly on the wall. They're usually outside in an informal setting. At times, updated rule interpretations are mentioned so it's another good way to 'keep up'. (In addition, I ask a lot of questions, all day long...) Better yet, folks should volunteer for RO duty.

9mmdude
10-30-2012, 21:36

You know those Winchester White Box (WWB) 100 packs. They were meant for me and one run of plates. (At 3 yards).

Comrade Bork
10-31-2012, 21:14
You know those Winchester White Box (WWB) 100 packs. They were meant for me and one run of plates. (At 3 yards).

MajorSub aside.

Minimum round count for Five to Glock; 30 rounds.

Minimum round count for Glock M; 27 rounds.

Minimum round count for Plates; 24 rounds with 4 strings.

Plates is already the "smallest" stage in terms of round count.

Cut it to three strings, 18 rounds, and people may feel they are not getting their money's worth of trigger time.

Actually, it sometimes surprises me that Plates does not go 5 strings, or 30 rounds, which would it put it on a par with Five to Glock and slightly ahead of Glock M.

:dunno:

S.Kargoh
11-02-2012, 13:13
There are some good points in here about why things are the way they are. I still think 3 strings would be great.

Someone mentioned that some competitors may not feel they are getting their money's worth with round count. I just don't understand that. I feel a bit mentally drained just trying to stay razor focused on fundamentals for the amount of rounds we already shoot. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I am continually thinking of " front sight crispness, smooth trigger pull, straight back with little side to side motion, firm grip strength, but not too tight, loose shoulders and neck, oh crap back to front sight, don't look at the plate, front sight, oh crap, I just yanked the trigger, smooth trigger pull come on....". By the end of it, I am fatigued in my noggin.

I know there are those that either just launch a ton of rounds at the beep or those that have enough practice under their belt that they can turn off the thought and "just shoot". Neither fit my style yet.

I think I fully realized this at the trap range last night. I just took that sport up. Last night was my second time. When I tried to duplicate my methods of rifle and pistol shooting by using deliberate, intense focus on the front sight and grip and things, I could not hit the birds. Ironically, on fast moving side thrown birds, I just threw the gun up and was suprised to see the clay pigeon turn to dust before I had a chance to realize what I had done. Some people at the range told me that shotgunning was supposed to be like that. It was interesting.

JWG_34
11-02-2012, 21:21
S kargoh,
Go to this website http://www.brianenos.com

Got to the forums page and read the topic on zen, You will get some very good advice on how to do and use mental training. I always called it getting in the zone! You will find If you use a little mental trainging, Say the night before a match, going over in your mind how you will shoot each stage shot for shot ! (the way I would do everynight before a match) A little mental training will help you on match day and before long, the match will be over before you know it. Just a tip ,that may help you out!
Jeff

PS,Just remember that shooting is 10% physical and 90% mental so a little training goes a long way!

There are some good points in here about why things are the way they are. I still think 3 strings would be great.

Someone mentioned that some competitors may not feel they are getting their money's worth with round count. I just don't understand that. I feel a bit mentally drained just trying to stay razor focused on fundamentals for the amount of rounds we already shoot. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I am continually thinking of " front sight crispness, smooth trigger pull, straight back with little side to side motion, firm grip strength, but not too tight, loose shoulders and neck, oh crap back to front sight, don't look at the plate, front sight, oh crap, I just yanked the trigger, smooth trigger pull come on....". By the end of it, I am fatigued in my noggin.

I know there are those that either just launch a ton of rounds at the beep or those that have enough practice under their belt that they can turn off the thought and "just shoot". Neither fit my style yet.

I think I fully realized this at the trap range last night. I just took that sport up. Last night was my second time. When I tried to duplicate my methods of rifle and pistol shooting by using deliberate, intense focus on the front sight and grip and things, I could not hit the birds. Ironically, on fast moving side thrown birds, I just threw the gun up and was suprised to see the clay pigeon turn to dust before I had a chance to realize what I had done. Some people at the range told me that shotgunning was supposed to be like that. It was interesting.

legacy38
11-03-2012, 12:05
As the plates are by far my favorite stage, I don't want to see the number of strings reduced.

Also, removing a string would invalidate all of the current records.

9mmdude
11-03-2012, 13:34
As the plates are by far my favorite stage, I don't want to see the number of strings reduced.

Also, removing a string would invalidate all of the current records.

Gotta agree. I wish they would have 8 runs instead of 4. The plate lines move fast and they are the best part of the match.

Roadkill_751
11-04-2012, 08:07
Why re-invent the wheel or upset the balance of the earth with changing the courses of fire on the plates?

Leave well enough alone. :whistling:

Seale Team
11-04-2012, 08:27
Gotta agree. I wish they would have 8 runs instead of 4. The plate lines move fast and they are the best part of the match.

Agreed. I go to shoot.

njl
11-04-2012, 21:31

I wouldn't mind shooting 8 strings at the plates...but there have been many shooters I'd hate to have to watch / wait behind as they flounder through 8 strings shooting in the general direction of the plates.