recoil and grain of bullet [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : recoil and grain of bullet

flw
10-30-2012, 21:29
Within the same caliber (i.e. 40 S&W) with the same powder load, is there a difference in recoil by bullet weight?

I do understand the lighter bullet will have a greater fps rate than a heavier bullet of the same caliber/powder load.

Inebriated
10-30-2012, 21:31
Heavier bullets "push" more, lighter bullets "flip" more. Basically a light and fast .40 S&W will be more snappy and have more muzzle flip than a heavy and slow .40 S&W, which has more of a push rearward.

Heavier bullets are almost always more pleasant for me to shoot, and I think most people feel the same.

M 7
10-30-2012, 21:53
Within the same caliber (i.e. 40 S&W) with the same powder load, is there a difference in recoil by bullet weight?

I do understand the lighter bullet will have a greater fps rate than a heavier bullet of the same caliber/powder load.

The answer to your question is "yes".

Here is a link that'll let you explore it 'til your heart's content-

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Enjoy. :supergrin:

Tiro Fijo
10-31-2012, 01:53
With the same propellant load heavier bullets always recoil more. Simple physics, reaction/action. 180 gr. .40 S&W loads are loaded down due to powder capacity & pressure dangers. They are basically wuss loads and people are in for a surprise when they touch off a 155 gr. solid defense load.

cowboy1964
10-31-2012, 05:29
With the same propellant load heavier bullets always recoil more. Simple physics, reaction/action. 180 gr. .40 S&W loads are loaded down due to powder capacity & pressure dangers. They are basically wuss loads and people are in for a surprise when they touch off a 155 gr. solid defense load.

147 9mm is the same way (a "wuss" load as you call it), as is 230gr .45.

SCmasterblaster
10-31-2012, 09:30
Heavier bullets "push" more, lighter bullets "flip" more. Basically a light and fast .40 S&W will be more snappy and have more muzzle flip than a heavy and slow .40 S&W, which has more of a push rearward.

Heavier bullets are almost always more pleasant for me to shoot, and I think most people feel the same.

Very good answer, sir. :cool:

flw
10-31-2012, 10:07
This is for semiauto handguns only and assumes same barrel length.

So is there a general agreement that with a same caliber and same type and amount of powder, that a smaller grained bullet may create more muzzle flip but a heavier bullet in the same configuration may have a greater muzzle push back or straight back recoil?

i.e. in a 9mm with same type and amount of powder, a 115 gr might tend to flip vs a 148 gr might tend to have more push back or straight back recoil.

SCmasterblaster
10-31-2012, 10:37
This is for semiauto handguns only and assumes same barrel length.

So is there a general agreement that with a same caliber and same type and amount of powder, that a smaller grained bullet may create more muzzle flip but a heavier bullet in the same configuration may have a greater muzzle push back or straight back recoil?

i.e. in a 9mm with same type and amount of powder, a 115 gr might tend to flip vs a 148 gr might tend to have more push back or straight back recoil.

This makes sense. :cool:

Tiro Fijo
10-31-2012, 17:15
http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

SCmasterblaster
10-31-2012, 18:29
http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

That table on seating depth/pressure was sure educational.