10mm cast bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm cast bullets

joken
10-31-2012, 12:05
Anyone shooting 10mm non-gas check boolits? I'm curious how it's has or hasn't worked out. I'm going to cast some as soon as my mold arrives. I just got a G20.. Ken

fredj338
10-31-2012, 12:41
IT's about all my diff 10mm get are 175gr LRNFP or LTC. No issues running them to 1200fps, fine for parctice ammo. It's always about proper bullet fit & then matching BHN to pressures. Vel has little to do with it.

noylj
10-31-2012, 15:03
Oops, to correct my post--if you are firing in a Glock with polygonal rifling, you will need to watch your bore very carefully at first to learn if your barrel will even accept lead bullets.
There is no reason in the world for gas checks on a 10mm Auto bullet--though it might help with a poly barrel.
I find that 175gn L-SWCs are best for accuracy.
Lead bullets in almost all cases MUST be AT LEAST 0.001" larger than the barrel groove diameter, which can be larger than 0.400".
I find that 12BHN is more than enough for target-to-max loads.
Fit is king.
A 0.402-0.403" bullet of any alloy will work great in all my 10mm guns.
Also, leading isn't a real problem unless you let it go too long and accuracy is destroyed (again, talking a regular rifled barrel) and pressures go up (generally, not in 50-100 rounds). All you need is a good bore cleaner and some pieces of COPPER Chore-Boy (not cheap Chinese imitation copper-plated steel) wrapped around the cleaning brush.
People sweat the small stuff and ignore the big things.
I like mastercastbullets.com, Bootheel Bullets, and Penn Bullets. All of these are great bullets and about 10 BHN harder than needed.
You can also get moly-koted bullets from Precision Bullets--some guns love them and some don't.

DWARREN123
10-31-2012, 15:22
I like Missouri bullets 175gr LSWC for 40 S&W/10mm. Really good target bullet, love the round hole punch holes they make. I keep mine at or a little below 1,000 FPS and have had no problems. :supergrin:

Idaho Spud
10-31-2012, 16:05
Hi Ken, suggestions above all great. Another factor not always considered is your boolit lube. With commercial offering you don't have a lot of choice, usually a hard lube and in my experience they can at times contribute to some leading. But since you're casting your own you have control. IMO softer lubes, though sometimes a bit smoky can help moderate leading, esp when combined with correct fit, etc., as above. At the moment I use White Label 2500 Plus for pistol and rifle with great satisfaction and virtually no leading in my 40 S&W (or any other). You may already know all this, if so use as necessary!

I like White Label lubes but have no other connection to this company. Stuff just works.

Zombie Steve
10-31-2012, 23:12
I shoot .44 mag without gas checks. I wouldn't be too worried about 10mm.

If you're getting leading, something is wrong - I'd look at sizing first, then hardness.

steve4102
11-01-2012, 06:30
I have loaded a bunch of Missouri lead bullets in my 10MM with excellent results.
Lately I have been casting my own and so far I am pleased. Straight WW with Alox tumble lube, accuracy is good and leading is not an issue.

Can't wait for my new HP mold to get here.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/steve4102/mold.jpg