Steel Challenge - Scope, Mags & Other Equipment needed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Steel Challenge - Scope, Mags & Other Equipment needed?

PaulMason
10-31-2012, 12:28
I want to shoot my first Steel Challenge (probably Griffin Ga.) and I need some equipment advise.

I don't want to slow down the match by not being properly equiped.

Guns
- Ruger 10/22 ITAC - no iron sights
- Walther P22

Questions:

Magazines - How many for each gun should I have?

Scope - What type of scope do most people use? Some magnification would be nice (2x?) but I don't want to spend a lot for it.

Can I use a scope on both guns in compitition?
I would like a scope that I could use on both the rifle and pistol.

Do I need any other (except safety) equipment? Holster?

Raz-n-co
11-14-2012, 12:01
You need 5 mags for each gun. You will shoot 5 strings at 5 targets.

Open class uses red dots, limited class only has open sights.

You will not be able to use the same scope on 2 guns in the same competition.

You need a case for each gun but no holster for rim fire.

How does your p22 run? My jammed all the time.

PaulMason
11-14-2012, 12:08
You need 5 mags for each gun. You will shoot 5 strings at 5 targets.

Open class uses red dots, limited class only has open sights.

You will not be able to use the same scope on 2 guns in the same competition.

You need a case for each gun but no holster for rim fire.

How does your p22 run? My jammed all the time.

Thanks,
That is very helpful. I'm will need to need to buy some mags.

The p22 is running fine. A couple of things you could look at:
- ammo - I've had some Remington that either had too much lube or was out of spec that didn't feed well.
- cleaning - sometimes too much lube is in the breach

Raz-n-co
11-14-2012, 12:11
I sold it after the factory replaced it.

ede
11-20-2012, 14:49
One range i shoot SC at doesn't require a case for long guns as long as you have a flag for it. I much perfer to see everyone with a case, but no one ask me. I use a couple 25 round mags for my 10/22 and 1522 and only reload once. for my MkIIIs and 617s I reload after each string. Not sure where you're at but this Friday (day after Thanksgiving) East Alabama Gun Club in Phenix City is having a outlaw steel match starts at 10am. You can shoot 2 entries.

PaulMason
11-20-2012, 16:53
One range i shoot SC at doesn't require a case for long guns as long as you have a flag for it. I much perfer to see everyone with a case, but no one ask me. I use a couple 25 round mags for my 10/22 and 1522 and only reload once. for my MkIIIs and 617s I reload after each string. Not sure where you're at but this Friday (day after Thanksgiving) East Alabama Gun Club in Phenix City is having a outlaw steel match starts at 10am. You can shoot 2 entries.

Thanks - I still don't have all my equipment. I'm outside of Atlanta.

Can you explain why you need a case? Do I have to walk around with the gun in the case before it is my turn to shoot?

ede
11-20-2012, 16:56
Some ranges require rifles to be cased, other just a flag. Pistols must be cased or holstered, if you're shooting rimfire there is no holster requirement so most likely it'll be in a bag or case.

Knee Deep
11-26-2012, 10:37
Rules for Griffin Steel match

www.griffinsteelmatch.com

you rifle is in case unless you are shooting.

harleypilot
12-01-2012, 05:00
For the rifle and pistol rimfire classes of Steel Challenge I use a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger Mk III. Both have red dots. I use 5 mags for the Mk III and 2 25 rd mags for the 10/22.

You wouldn't want to use a scope with magnification because the targets are large and close.

Jim

PaulMason
12-01-2012, 07:02
For the rifle and pistol rimfire classes of Steel Challenge I use a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger Mk III. Both have red dots. I use 5 mags for the Mk III and 2 25 rd mags for the 10/22.

You wouldn't want to use a scope with magnification because the targets are large and close.

Jim

Thank you - I need to buy more Walther P22 mags.

bansheex
12-06-2012, 20:07
We shoot Browning Buck Marks (Open Class) with Tac-Sol barrels, and C-More red dot sights. Great shooting guns!

A6Gator
12-27-2012, 09:09
Browning Buckmark is the right answer if you're starting out. Normal grip and a pretty good trigger, right out of the box. Lots of aftermarket stuff from Tactical Solutions if you want to race it.

jtp0828
12-27-2012, 14:09
Ruger mark 3 hunter is my race gun. With the mark ii internals and a 2.8 lb trigger. I would say it'll run with my buckmark all day long.

For all race guns doctor red dots are in order. I love the weight of the micro, and the accuracy. Burris makes a nice version too. It's like a cmore without the weight. Avoid magnification for steel. It'll just slow ya down

MajorD
01-01-2013, 13:12
I have shot steel challenge targets are huge no need for a scope off the bat. I usually beat all but one or two scope guys with my irons. 5 mags is handy, at my club the shooter on deck is used to load mags for the shooter with less than 5 mags