Thoughts on Berrys 9mm plated bullets and w231 powder [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Berrys 9mm plated bullets and w231 powder

mdpbowtech
10-31-2012, 17:08
I am going to be placing my first order for bullets, powder, and primers in the next few days. From what I have read w231 does pretty well out of the lee pro auto disk which is what I have. I am wanting to stay on the cheaper side for bullets since its just for plinking so was looking at berrys 124g 9mm rn plated bullets. Does anyone use this combo or have any advice if this is not a good combo? Also does it really matter what company I use for primers? Dont know if it matters but Im shooting a glock 19 with the factory barrel. Thanks

F106 Fan
10-31-2012, 17:35
I am going to be placing my first order for bullets, powder, and primers in the next few days. From what I have read w231 does pretty well out of the lee pro auto disk which is what I have. I am wanting to stay on the cheaper side for bullets since its just for plinking so was looking at berrys 124g 9mm rn plated bullets. Does anyone use this combo or have any advice if this is not a good combo? Also does it really matter what company I use for primers? Dont know if it matters but Im shooting a glock 19 with the factory barrel. Thanks

I wouldn't buy plated bullets when I can get Precision Delta jacketed bullets for about the same price.

If you don't want to buy in lots of 2k, MidwayUSA has boxes of 500 that are somewhat overpriced. Plus you have to pay shipping. Shipping is included with Precision Delta or Montan Gold (somewhat more expensive than PD).

The problem with plated bullets is that there is no published load data. The manufacturer says "load somewhere between mid-range lead data and mid-range jacketed data and keep the velocity less than 1200 fps". Ths is not a very satisfying situation - for me. So, why don't they test their bullets? Why don't they publish any data?

If you want cheap ammo, you will eventually want to load with lead bullets.

No problem with W231.

As to primers, I prefer Federal but will use CCI. I'm not terribly impressed with Tula and I have never used Winchester or Remington.

You may find small pistol primers in short supply. It seems that Powder Valley is just about out of them. All they have is Tula and are out of Federal, CCI, Winchester and Remington.

There's an election coming up. You may have read about it. It's been in all the papers.

It seems we always run out of primers around election time. You may find stock at other suppliers. MidwayUSA has Federal Match Small Pistol Primers.

Of course, if you are buying locally, perhaps your LGS has stock. They knew about the election and may have stocked up.

Richard

judgecrater
10-31-2012, 17:40
I have used W231 (same as HP38) with Berry's plated bullets in my Glock17. Using the 124gr hollow base and hollow points, I started at 4.0gr and found it too light. I worked up to 4.8gr (OAL 1.13) without excessive pressure signs. 4.8 is at max or slightly above. Your barrel will have different dimensions so start your loads low and increase carefully. I achieved better accuracy with both Bullseye and Universal powder. Berry's makes an excellent bullet.

HAMMERHEAD
10-31-2012, 18:05
I like Berry's and they shoot very well in 9mm Glocks. I had my best accuracy with the 147 grainers in the Glock 19, but the 124's are fine too.
I've found that plated bullets shoot to the velocities predicted in Hodgdon's 125 FMJ data (http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp). Just stay 10% below the max charge listed for jacketed bullets.
Any non-magnum small pistol primer should be fine.

greenlion
10-31-2012, 19:17
Been using those for years. I've gone through several lbs of Win 231 powder, and also like Hodgdon Universal. Use FMJ bullet data, just don't load to the max load listed.

Boxerglocker
10-31-2012, 20:27
I've never been partial to plated bullets as F106 stated for the same price or just a little bit more you can go with PD FMJs.
As for primers unless you have a light spring trigger group which pushes you toward using Feds. i use whatever is cheap at the time. I have no problems with using Tula/Wolf for plinking, practice ammo. Though usually use CCI for for sanctioned matches.
Tula/Wolf are a little harder to seat but they have been just as reliable for me.
Interesting tidbit I have learned is that the Tula/Wolf small rifle magnum are actually the most consistent for AR fodder. Many a reloader on the M4Carbine, arf.com and BE forums will attest to lower SDs using Tula/Wolf SRMs. I have to agree and have even started using it for my .223 bulk boltgun varmint loads.

mdpbowtech
10-31-2012, 21:08
thanks for telling me about those other bullets from precision delta, I will order those. Any info for me on those 124g fmj with the w231 powder?

Boxerglocker
10-31-2012, 21:22
thanks for telling me about those other bullets from precision delta, I will order those. Any info for me on those 124g fmj with the w231 powder?

Start at minimum and work up. You will most likely find 4.5ish at 1.135 Oal to be the sweet spot.

droptrd
11-03-2012, 03:02
i like berrys too. iuse the 147s for my 19 and 75b. my 23 loves berrys 180gr hp over power pistol.

Kentguy
11-03-2012, 07:18
mdpbowtech,

I use 124g bullets only for 9mm (my personal preference), and always buy them from Precision Delta (great company), they make good target rounds and I even use them when shooting in local GSSF competitions.

Here is my data that I use for your bullet/powder como you asked for;

Bullet - 124g RN FMJ .355 dia. (Presion Delta)
Bullet length - .606"
Powder - Winchester - 231 @ 4.3g
Powder Range - 4.0g to 4.5g (Speer)
Burn rate - #29 www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
Primer - Federal SP #100
Bullet seating O.A.L. - 1.135"
Velocity - 1,075.4 fps my 5 shot average @ 73 degrees
Crimp - Light
Test Gun - Glock 17 w/4.49" Barrel

I use my numbers from the Speer Manual, so as always, start your tests low and work up.

Good luck and be safe.

sig357fan
11-03-2012, 14:01
...I am wanting to stay on the cheaper side for bullets since its just for plinking so was looking at berrys 124g 9mm rn plated bullets...

If you’re talking light/plinking loads, don't shy away from lead bullets in a stock Glock barrel.

My favorite 9mm load is 4.0 gr. of Win 231 under a 125 gr. TC I cast from wheel weights, hardened with a little lead free solder to get in the 10 to 12 BHN range. I’ve shot this load in stock Glock barrels and aftermarket barrels as well as non-Glock 9mm with no problems except more frequent cleaning of the bore in some barrels.

Get all your primers and powder in bulk but before you get your bullets, see if you can find a cast bullet distributer that sells a cast bullet you like cheap enough to make it worth going with lead, then see if you can get a sample pack.

Work up a load and try them in your G19 and see what results you get. If leading is minimal and barrel cleaning frequency doesn’t bother you, you can’t get much cheaper reloading unless you cast your own.

Just my $0.02 worth,

Sig357fan

Agent6-3/8
11-03-2012, 14:24
I've shot a boat load of 115g Berry's over HP-38 (W231) and HS-6 out if my G19. I've had very good results with both.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile