Slide lock question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slide lock question

g363
11-01-2012, 09:15
I can't reliably lock the slide back on my G-36 using thumb pressure on the slide stop tab. The stop barely catches on the slide. An empty mag operates the stop fine though.

I see what is happening. Thumb pressure on the slide stop tab pushes the rear edge of the tab against the frame. Then the upper rear corner of the tab catches on the lower outside edge of the slide, preventing the slide stop from moving completely up into place.

It appears that the tab of the slide stop is not perfectly parallel with the gun, causing this problem. Is that normal? Maybe the stop got bent a bit at some point?

How hard is that metal? Could I perhaps bend it back a bit?

Edited for correct terminology

Krav Maglock
11-01-2012, 12:44
The part your refering to is the slide stop. The slide lock is the double sided takedown lever. The slide stop could be bent or could be installed incorrectly. With your slide off, look into the reciever and make sure the spring portion of the slide stop is underneath the locking block pin(Top pin) pull up on the stop and make sure it springs back into place.

Certified Glock Armorer

g363
11-01-2012, 13:59
Okay, I did confirm that it's put together correctly. and nothing is bent.

After some more study of the problem, I finally figured it out. I'm pressing too hard on the slide stop tab. I'm actually bending the plastic frame, throwing the stop out of alignment with the slide. I'm used to steel guns that don't give like that. :embarassed:

A little less pressure on the tab, and the problem doesn't occur.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Noponer
11-01-2012, 14:31
The slide stop levers are hardened... they can be bent, but you risk breaking them. I know because I have broken a couple trying to change the angle of the thumb tab.

(The thumb tab on older slide stops (years ago) stood out from the frame at a slight angle, while the newer ones lie fairly flat against the frame.)

Paul53
11-01-2012, 18:48
Remind me to never thumb wrestle you.

LiebeGlock
11-01-2012, 18:54
Ever thought of getting an extended slide stop? I hate the factory ones to be honest and they always gave me issues. They're inexpensive and pretty easy to interchange.