Doubled My Glocks Today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Doubled My Glocks Today

dhgeyer
11-01-2012, 17:08
Now I own 2. I don't HAVE 2 because I always get delayed on the background check. I always do. I'll have it in a couple of days.

I went to the local gun store not knowing for sure whether I wanted a second Gen4 19 or a Gen4 17. The 19 would give me redundancy, along with all the spare parts I've bought from Glockparts.com. The 17 would be different and just a little more comfortable to shoot, and still have a lot of parts redundancy.

The decision was made for me. They didn't have a Gen4 19. They have been selling out their stock like crazy leading up to the election. The guy had to ransack the back room to find a black gen4 G17.

I was a bit puzzled to see that the serial number started with "A". It has the latest ejector, so it's not old stock. So I looked at it next to one that starts with "T" and realized that the one I bought has another digit in the serial number. So they've rolled the odometer over and started over so to speak.

I walked in with several guns to trade, including 2 US Firearms cowboy guns. Wasn't expecting much for them, but was offered 750.00 for the fancy one and 650.00 for the Plain Jane model. I was quite surprised. So I walked out with a sales receipt for the Glock and a check. I've got too many cowboy guns anyway.

Can't give a range report yet obviously, but within a day or three.

stolenphot0
11-01-2012, 17:54
congrats and sounds like you may have a made in USA glock :)

dhgeyer
11-01-2012, 17:59

Oh my word, REALLY? I didn't even look at that part of the slide. That would be something if it's the case.

ThinkMud
11-01-2012, 18:26
Be warned.... 2 turns to 4 and 4 to 8 before you know it..... It's an addiction:)

SARDUDE
11-01-2012, 18:36
Sweet!

Pick up my Gen 4 G34 tomorrow!

dhgeyer
11-01-2012, 18:40

I just called the gun store and had them look (which I obviously did not when I had it in my hands). They're open till 9:00 on Thursday and Friday. It is made in USA! I got a USA Glock!!! Just dumb luck.

You know, now I wonder if I should even shoot the thing or just buy another one and put this one away.

bac1023
11-01-2012, 18:40
Congrats! :cool:

Gallium
11-01-2012, 18:43
Very nice!

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to double my Glock collection, like you did.

That would be sweet, oh so sweet. Maybe a little bit of overkill, but still very sweet.

Maybe I could get a 4th gen G17, or G19, or G20...maybe the G21 or 22...I'm getting purple with glee just thinking about it.

Yeah, maybe it would be a bit of overkill. :) But you only live once, eh? :cool:

Oh and yeah - :needspics:

dhgeyer
11-01-2012, 18:43
Be warned.... 2 turns to 4 and 4 to 8 before you know it..... It's an addiction:)

Oh I know how that goes, believe me! Don't ask me how many Cowboy guns or Colts in general I've been through. Or antique pocket watches, antique woodworking tools, yoyos,
motorcycles, Oh Lord, you name it.

dhgeyer
11-01-2012, 18:46
Very nice!

You'll get 'em when I get the gun. I don't have a lens that long.

Ocean_glocker
11-01-2012, 19:58
It is made in USA! I got a USA Glock!!! Just dumb luck.

You know, now I wonder if I should even shoot the thing or just buy another one and put this one away.

I would just shoot the crap out of it! I have one too, it's been great to me. But now that the Smyrna is up and running USA aren't going to be as "rare". But you did get one of the early ones!! congrats and enjoy!!!

rustytxrx
11-01-2012, 21:51
dh, I still think we got more in common than you think. My wife shoots a g17 and I'd like to talk colt SAAs with ya someday.

G17 is a dandy and ya can get 9mm cheap as any center fire pistol cartridges.

I grew up next door to gunsmith in the late 50s to mid 60s. He was an colt SAA fan. We had a local fast draw show. I got SAA collection.

dhgeyer
11-02-2012, 06:49
dh, I still think we got more in common than you think.

I'm sure we do. Most of us here do, or we wouldn't be here. I do love my Colts. Only have three SAA's right now, but I've been through a lot more than that. I used to collect the old Colt double action guns too - before they went to the J frame in 1967 - 69 (not to be confused with Smith's J frame).

Here's one of my current SAA's

http://www.gallery1700.net/linkto/colt01.jpg

http://www.gallery1700.net/linkto/colt04.jpg

Third generation Colt SAA 5 1/2" nickle plated 38 special with factory action job.

dhgeyer
11-02-2012, 06:58
I would just shoot the crap out of it! I have one too, it's been great to me. But now that the Smyrna is up and running USA aren't going to be as "rare". But you did get one of the early ones!! congrats and enjoy!!!

I need to call Glock and find out what their plans are. If they are really going into production down there then, yeah, I've got nothing special in the long run. If this is, as I had the impression, kind of a one shot deal, then that's another matter. Shouldn't be too hard to find out.

EDIT: Just talked to CS at Glock. They are going into full production in the USA. And not just assembly either: they're making the parts there too. I guess getting a USA made Glock is nothing all that special, or at least won't be. Still it's great news. Somebody's actually importing jobs instead of exporting them!

Gallium
11-02-2012, 07:10
I need to call Glock and find out what their plans are. If they are really going into production down there then, yeah, I've got nothing special in the long run. If this is, as I had the impression, kind of a one shot deal, then that's another matter. Shouldn't be too hard to find out.

No need to call. This has been common news on the forums. Glocks have been making guns in the USA now since late 2010, mostly for export, but now also for the domestic market.

dhgeyer
11-02-2012, 19:24
Very nice!

Well, it's hard to make a Glock 17 Gen4 look interesting or different. They certainly aren't beautiful. Here are three pics from my phone showing the relevant information pertaining to the USA made variant.

As far as I can tell so far it isn't different in any other way. The ejector is 30274, the extractor is dipped, the test date is 10/3/2012, and the extractor spring feels weak same as the G19 Gen4 did before I changed some parts out.

I have a spare non-dipped extractor and White Sound Defense 20% extra power extractor depressor plunger spring. I'll try totally stock first and see how that goes. But I'll bring the aftermarket parts to the range with me in case I don't like where the brass is going (or if it jams).

The range I normally shoot at is closed for work details tomorrow. In the meantime I'll clean off the shipping oil, lube it properly (leaving the copper anti-seize), and hand cycle the action a couple of hundred times. Range report likely on Sunday.

http://www.gallery1700.net/linkto/g17gen401.jpg

http://www.gallery1700.net/linkto/g17gen402.jpg

http://www.gallery1700.net/linkto/g17gen403.jpg

Bruce M
11-02-2012, 19:38
Enjoy your USA G17. The SAA is gorgeous.

dhgeyer
11-02-2012, 19:42

Thank you!

dhgeyer
11-03-2012, 11:48
I just spent the morning in the shop preparing my new G17 for its initial range outing. I discovered something I had missed. It came with a non-dipped extractor. But, it's not the same mold number as the ones I got from Glockparts.com. So, we'll have to see if this is really good news or not.

dhgeyer
11-03-2012, 19:00
Time for a range report. Put 115 rounds of several different hand and factory loads through it. My club was closed today, but there's a commercial indoor range nearby. It only goes to 60 feet. I shot at 20', 25', 50', and 60'. Five shot groups were all under 4" extrapolated to 25 yards. In other words my 60' groups ran about 3", and so on. That's very very good for me. The gun seems to shoot itself. It's not that different in size from the G19, but the difference shooting it is substantial. And it's accurate with full power loads, mid range, and relatively low power handloads. All were 115 grain weight. I did notice that this gun is tighter in slide to frame fit than the G19, especially in the front. That may be why I'm having better accuracy with it. There's no perceptible play at all unless I really push on it. Of course the G19 has 1100 rounds through it. Maybe the G17 will loosen up a bit with time.

I had intended to shoot it totally stock first time out. But that extractor spring seemed so weak, I didn't want to chance wasting ammo. So I put in a White Sound Defense 20% extra power extractor depressor plunger spring, and made a steel spring loaded bearing with a bit longer "head" to compress the spring even more. It still isn't as strong as my other 9mm pistols, but much stronger than stock.

I also cleaned and lubed it, leaving the copper anti-seize compound. I polished the striker safety and striker lug. I did not take the frame down to polish the trigger bar. I cut the tabs off all the mag bodies (sorry AA, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one). On that subject I will just say that I have or have had half a dozen brands of 9mm pistols, and 1911's with Wilson mags. They all come apart the same way. I don't see any reason why Glock needs to be any different. If one ever fails me then I will admit that I made a mistake. Don't hold your breath.

Ejection was pretty much storybook perfect with one exception. When I tried shooting it with the mag out ("1911 test") 4 times it dropped the case down the mag well thrice, and jammed on the 4th attempt. It needs the magazine in place to work. Other than that, the cases all went up and from 3:00 to 4:00 o'clock. How far and fast they went depended on the power of the ammo, as one would expect. I actually liked the lower power loads better, as they were just as accurate, had less felt recoil, and fell right behind and to the right of me in a rather small area.

So, I'm a happy camper! I hope it continues to perform as well as it did today. I expect it will. I may have to replace extractor components from time to time. Maybe that's "The new normal". I can live with it.

elijah58
11-03-2012, 19:50

Yup, just bought number 13 today........it's an addiction that I can't break.
Eli

ca survivor
11-04-2012, 08:02
Congrats!

Fordtough25
11-05-2012, 12:36

+1, enjoy that new g17, love mine! And I would love to have a SAA one of these days, I have several single actions but no Colt's yet. It will happen someday!!

dhgeyer
11-05-2012, 12:52
+1, enjoy that new g17, love mine! And I would love to have a SAA one of these days, I have several single actions but no Colt's yet. It will happen someday!!

Thank you! Good luck with your Colt quest. As a heads up, now is a good time to buy collectable guns, at least where I am. Everyone wants black guns or snubbies. I picked up a second generation Colt SAA in darn good shape for $1400.00 recently. Couple of years ago it would have been double that or close to it. And this was from an experienced, established gun store. It wasn't like the guy didn't know what he had.