Anyone carry a 34 for daily use? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone carry a 34 for daily use?

mike56
11-01-2012, 17:20
Not sure why, but handled a GEN4 34 and really liked it.
Is it possible/practical for an everyday gun?
Probably not a IWB but a belt slide might be good.

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-01-2012, 17:35
Sure, you can carry it. The 34 is actually SHORTER front to back than the 1911 and thousands of people carry those daily. You'd have to live in cool enough weather to be able to have a cover garment over an OWB holster, but I'd feel pretty well armed with a 34 (actually a 35 as I like the .40 or bigger for SD). Go for it.

dhgeyer
11-01-2012, 18:22
The G34 is a great gun. I used to have one. I wouldn't carry it though. Apart from the size, the trigger is a pound lighter and made for competition, and the adjustable sights would not handle the knocks that a fixed sight gun would. Also the open slide could admit foreign material that a closed slide would not.

I enjoy my CZ85 Combat, but I wouldn't carry it for similar reasons.

Bruce M
11-01-2012, 19:38
I know of some guys who carry a G34 daily in uniform. Obviously they do not worry about concealment. The blue label guns seem to come with the regular connector. I can't seem to remember off the top of my head, but it seems there is another pistol out there with an open slide that has been carried a bit both here in the US and abroad without many issues related to the open slide issue...

M1A Shooter
11-01-2012, 21:47
ive carried a couple 34s and 35s at different times. ive settled on a 17 now but i found the longslide to be very easy to conceal with a quality IWB holster like the one from Theis Holsters. i always get my iwbs in a slide version so 26-34 wont matter.

i actually found that the longer the muzzle, the closer it rode and more stable it felt.

smitret
11-01-2012, 22:50
The G34 is a great gun. I used to have one. I wouldn't carry it though. Apart from the size, the trigger is a pound lighter and made for competition, and the adjustable sights would not handle the knocks that a fixed sight gun would. Also the open slide could admit foreign material that a closed slide would not.

Get a blue label 34 or 35.

Comes with standard weight connector and fixed steel sights I believe.

Good Luck

SpecOpsScout
11-01-2012, 23:17
Not a 34, but I carried a Glock 35 for 8 years off duty every day, primarily in a Bladetech strong side IWB. It was and remains an excellent weapon and I only moved on from it because my department moved to authorize some additional weapons and calibers. I now carry a Para Ordnance P14.45 LDA Limited.

Foxtrotx1
11-01-2012, 23:43
I know of some guys who carry a G34 daily in uniform. Obviously they do not worry about concealment. The blue label guns seem to come with the regular connector. I can't seem to remember off the top of my head, but it seems there is another pistol out there with an open slide that has been carried a bit both here in the US and abroad without many issues related to the open slide issue...

The Beretta 92.

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-02-2012, 09:51

That open slide design lets crud OUT of the slide/barrel area and is generally considered more reliable in dirty conditions. The trigger issue has been solved above. Anyone who hasn't figured out they can swap out their touchy adjustable sights for good iron combat sights is a clown. Problem solved. If a guy can conceal a G34/35 then Carry On!

dhgeyer
11-02-2012, 11:02
That open slide design lets crud OUT of the slide/barrel area and is generally considered more reliable in dirty conditions. The trigger issue has been solved above. Anyone who hasn't figured out they can swap out their touchy adjustable sights for good iron combat sights is a clown. Problem solved. If a guy can conceal a G34/35 then Carry On!

So you pay $100.00 more than for a G17 (I just looked at them yesterday at my LGS), have to get a special trigger and swap out the sights (more money). And this gives you what advantage when you are done over a G17 or a G19? Oh, yeah, you get to have the added challenge of concealing it comfortably. And you're callin' ME a clown?

Why not just get one of the guns that's designed for what you want to use it for?

GoonGlock21
11-02-2012, 12:29
edited

GoonGlock21
11-02-2012, 12:35
I carry my 17L IWB all the time, wish they made a 21L . I know LWD has a longslide kit, but the boss requires a factory glock while on the clock.......damn lawyers ruin it for us all!!!

1-2man
11-02-2012, 12:38
G-35 here (although today I went with the G-21.)

BigSpenda864
11-02-2012, 12:39
I carry G35 a good bit of time. I know a guy who carries a G34 concealed every day. No problems.

jjons
11-02-2012, 13:48
I carry 34 and 35 on duty. Of duty I dont think carries much different than a 17.

SCmasterblaster
11-02-2012, 13:50
I carry a concealed G17 every day.

D.S.Brown
11-02-2012, 18:34
I carried a G35 when I owned a bunch of .40 caliber Glocks. I would happily carry a G34 if I owned one, and I will.

Best,

Dave

BuckyP
11-02-2012, 18:53
While I love shooting my G34 in competition, it's just too big to CCW in my opinion. The only advantage, IMO is the longer sight radius, connectors, sights, etc can all be swapped.

I've been experimenting with carrying a G22 the last couple weeks. It has the connector from my G35 in it. :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"Cold Dead Hands" !
11-02-2012, 20:07
I carry a G34 in a Comp Tac inside the waistband holster no problem.
The longer 5.3" slide is easy to conceal, as it just hangs down your leg further.
The butt length is the hardest part to conceal, but not bad, as it is canted forward.
When you sit down, it might need a slight adjustment.

G19 though just as thick, would be much easier to conceal butt & slide.