.380 ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .380 ammo?

frank4570
11-01-2012, 19:49
I'm going to transition to a .380 at least for a while. Long story, but right now it is a reasonable choice. And a .380 I actually have with me is better than no gun.
So, anybody have any ammo recommendations? I have no interest in super expensive stuff. I need to run at least 200 rounds for reliability.
My experience with pistol hunting gives me a preference of flat points over hollow points. Especially where more penetration could be an issue.

Tiro Fijo
11-01-2012, 19:59
Walmart stocks it. Look for it in the Ladies Section between the high heels & girdles. :whistling:

:rofl:

dkf
11-01-2012, 19:59
What gun? A lot of the .380 JHP loads on the market penetrate pretty shallow especially when shot out of some of the longer barrels like a Bersa. Some guys only will carry FMJs or Hardcasts some carry JHPs. I carry the 90gr XTPs in my LCP however the penetration is still marginal. I have some 115gr XTP loads I have been fooling with but have not had the time lately to do as much testing as I need to.

NDCent
11-01-2012, 20:15
sgammo has 50 rds. lawman for 15.79

The gold dot hp is a good match.

frank4570
11-01-2012, 20:16
Walmart stocks it. Look for it in the Ladies Section between the high heels & girdles. :whistling:

Jerk.:tongueout:

frank4570
11-01-2012, 20:18
What gun? A lot of the .380 JHP loads on the market penetrate pretty shallow especially when shot out of some of the longer barrels like a Bersa. Some guys only will carry FMJs or Hardcasts some carry JHPs. I carry the 90gr XTPs in my LCP however the penetration is still marginal. I have some 115gr XTP loads I have been fooling with but have not had the time lately to do as much testing as I need to.

Keltek. I'm getting it from somebody who has already found it to be reliable. I'll look at what he is using first, but I don't know what that is yet.

Glock19Fan
11-02-2012, 00:41
My previous testing of Federal Hydrashok and Hornadys XTP both yeilded between 10-12 inches of penetration in gelatin.

With that said, my Bersa .380 is loaded with FMJs. Partially becuase I like the penetration, and partially becuase I dont feel like spending the money on the JHPS.

If nothing else, I think the FPFMJs would serve you well.

BuckeyePPC
11-02-2012, 06:53
Jerk.:tongueout:

Bersa Thunder. Don't let them get to you Frank, in the newest James Bond Skyfall movie, James is issues a Walther PPK/S 9mm Short so we're in good company. :supergrin:

SCmasterblaster
11-02-2012, 07:38

A semi-rude response to someone looking for help with a weak round. :upeyes:

BuckeyePPC
11-02-2012, 07:59
Bersa Thunder. Don't let them get to you Frank, in the newest James Bond Skyfall movie, James is issues a Walther PPK/S 9mm Short so we're in good company. :supergrin:

I have Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, my reload Hornady XTP, and some Gold Dot. They all shoot fine although I shoot my XTP reloads more because I can reload cheaper.

SCmasterblaster
11-02-2012, 08:12
I have Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, my reload Hornady XTP, and some Gold Dot. They all shoot fine although I shoot my XTP reloads more because I can reload cheaper.

The major ammo makers have tried their best to make a suitable .380 defense round.

1canvas
11-02-2012, 08:53
for the 380 I use Gold Dot. the caliber is very marginal at best but better than nothing. that said I would figure out the best SD load and buy it. if its a polymer gun 50 rounds will do for reliability after 50 rounds of cheap round nose. my thought is you probably get little expansion on hollow point from a small 380 so a bonded GD will should me a little of both. I like to stay away from hardball roundnose ammo in small calibers for SD, small penetrating holes will kill eventually but do little damage, kind of like an ice pick.

Darkangel1846
11-02-2012, 09:17
There are no cheap .380 Sd rounds....Many carry FMJ's, I think Hydroshoks work well in my Walther and Bersa. I was thinking of going to critical defense but haven made up my mind yet.

Ljutic
11-02-2012, 10:16
I'm going to transition to a .380 at least for a while. Long story, but right now it is a reasonable choice. And a .380 I actually have with me is better than no gun.
So, anybody have any ammo recommendations?

Two of my favorites that I wanted to retest before we got into cold weather. If nothing else, it's good for the chrono graph data.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/09/380-fmj-vs-jhp-permanent-wound-channel.html

SCmasterblaster
11-02-2012, 11:25
I have heard it said that .380s should be loaded with FMJ bullets because the caliber is a poor penetrator. I don't necessarily agree. I mean, a 90-gr JHP moving at 900 FPS won't penetrate?

Ljutic
11-02-2012, 12:29
I have heard it said that .380s should be loaded with FMJ bullets because the caliber is a poor penetrator. I don't necessarily agree. I mean, a 90-gr JHP moving at 900 FPS won't penetrate?

It doesn't make the desired 12" penetration minimum so it's generally dismissed as unsuitable.

Bump the weight up 25 grains and up the speed by 200 fps and it's now a 9mm that can consistently make 12".

You won't see me offering to stand in front of any of them.

SCmasterblaster
11-02-2012, 13:24
It doesn't make the desired 12" penetration minimum so it's generally dismissed as unsuitable.

Bump the weight up 25 grains and up the speed by 200 fps and it's now a 9mm that can consistently make 12".

You won't see me offering to stand in front of any of them.

And just who says that 12 inches of gelatin penetration is a requirement? What is that based on? People aren't made of ordnance gelatin. If a .380 bullet can penetrate the skull and go another three inches, then it is a winner.

dkf
11-02-2012, 14:45
If you want a JHP that will penetrate pretty well the 102gr Golden Sabre will do it. It just is not a reliable expander because it is going so slow, especially out of an LCP, P3AT or P380.

And just who says that 12 inches of gelatin penetration is a requirement? What is that based on?

http://greent.com/40Page/general/fbitest.htm

collim1
11-02-2012, 15:25
I carried FMJ in my P3AT back when I had one. With the short barrel I wasn't confident a JHP would expand much, and if it did wouldn't penetrate.

FMJ was more reliable in my gun also as mine was not very reliable. I ended up selling it after a year.

KIDRAY
11-02-2012, 15:53
I own 2 380 Auto handguns, a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380, and a Sig Sauer P238. 380 Auto ammo is more expensive than 9mm, therefore I reload my practice rounds, and purchase Gold Dot ammo for my protection rounds. My primary carry is a Sig Sauer P938 9mm, I did look at the Kel-Tec and Kahr handguns, Sig Sauer and Smith & Wesson are of a higher quality construction and materials.

As for the rude post about the 380 Auto in the womens section, A person can be taken out with .22 caliber ammunition.

Ljutic
11-02-2012, 16:55
And just who says that 12 inches of gelatin penetration is a requirement? What is that based on? People aren't made of ordnance gelatin. If a .380 bullet can penetrate the skull and go another three inches, then it is a winner.

Mostly the folks that pick their ammo based on the FBI test protocol. More power to them. Everyone deserves something or someone to believe in.

I'll post it too. http://greent.com/40Page/general/fbitest.htm

frank4570
11-02-2012, 17:20
Here is a video of .380 round nose and flat nose. Both went through the 19 inch block of gel. Hollow points are good at making the bullet stay in the target.

.380 Full Metal Jacket in Ballistic Gel - YouTube

dkf
11-02-2012, 17:33
If someone wants to carry FMJ or hardcast bullets in their .380 that is their choice and fine. I would just recommend finding something better than cheapy range ammo. Black Hills has a 100gr FMJ and Black Hills has an excellent reputation as an ammo manufacturer making high quality ammo.

unit1069
11-02-2012, 17:40
I probably won't own another .380ACP unless someone gives me one, and if that happens I'll likely carry the hard cast bullets in it for the widest range of self-defense application that caliber offers.

Black&TAN
11-02-2012, 17:41
I don't carry my P232 much, but on occasion rides with 80 grain DPX. For the caliber, rounds perform well expansion-wise, although would definitely opt for 9mm for better ballistics overall.

Sellier & Bellot makes good, affordable 380 practice ammo, IMO. Regardless, I wouldn't want to stand in front of one.

sent via Tapatalk

Bluescot
11-02-2012, 19:16
I have a Keltec P3AT and it's loaded with an alternating FMJ and a Hollow point, both of premium stuff. I love to carry it on walks around the river and feel well armed for 4 legged varmints and two legged ones.

We just had a guy convicted here in Idaho for 2nd Degree Murder for shooting his wife's lover, an attorney!!, in a parking lot. He shot the guy with a .380, once in the chest and once in the head at very close range. The coroner said on the stand that either shot would have been fatal .

That upped my opinion of the .380, it's best function is a get-off-me gun and for that it seemed to work in this case.

1canvas
11-03-2012, 04:16
there was a video cought on a police dash cam of a young officer defending himself with an AMT Back Up in 380 cal. the bad guy grabbed the officers weapon [I think a Berreta 92] while going hands on and while the bad guy was trying to find the safety the officer pulled a 380 from a handcuff case and pumped about 5 rounds into him and dropped him. all the while the officers poor excuse of a K-9 was chewing on the bad guy. it was an old video.

Kentguy
11-03-2012, 07:41
Frank4570,

For just an inexpensive practice round it is hard to beat the Federal 95g FMJ bullet, you can find them anywhere and afford to shoot them all day long.

As far as EDC ammo I agree with buckeyePPC; "I have Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, my reload Hornady XTP, and some Gold Dot. They all shoot fine although I shoot my XTP reloads more because I can reload cheaper."

I also have a Bersa .380 Thunder, for reliability, accuracy and the price... you can't beat it!
Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry - YouTube

SCmasterblaster
11-03-2012, 11:45
Frank4570,

For just an inexpensive practice round it is hard to beat the Federal 95g FMJ bullet, you can find them anywhere and afford to shoot them all day long.

As far as EDC ammo I agree with buckeyePPC; "I have Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, my reload Hornady XTP, and some Gold Dot. They all shoot fine although I shoot my XTP reloads more because I can reload cheaper."

I also have a Bersa .380 Thunder, for reliability, accuracy and the price... you can't beat it!
Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_RWl6L0BnU)

Hickok45 to the rescue! :supergrin:

bunk22
11-03-2012, 19:33

Ah, the resident mall ninja lol Someone should ask about his how to video's when it comes to shooting.

SCmasterblaster
11-04-2012, 13:09
Ah, the resident mall ninja lol Someone should ask about his how to video's when it comes to shooting.

OK, I'll ask. :cool:

JEEPX
11-04-2012, 18:58
I like the Buffalo Bore .380 80gr +p Tac-XP.

It works great in a Ruger LCP, Bersa Thunder, and a Walther PPK.

Between the Bersa and the more expensive Walther, the Bersa wins hands down.

The Walther is finicky and loves to jam. The $250 Bersa eats anything and has never had a hiccup.

frank4570
11-04-2012, 19:27

The Walther is finicky and loves to jam. The $250 Bersa eats anything and has never had a hiccup.

I like to run a 200 round test, and do the occasional shooting with my carry ammo. Buffalo bore is $25 for 20 shells. That is a lot of money.

SCmasterblaster
11-04-2012, 19:27

Thanks for the comprehensive review! :cool:

Joshhtn
11-04-2012, 19:51
I carry Gold Dots in my LCP with my back up mag full of FMJ.

SCmasterblaster
11-05-2012, 08:52
I carry Gold Dots in my LCP with my back up mag full of FMJ.

Good strategy! :cool:

rednoved
11-05-2012, 09:24
I carry Gold Dots in my .380 gun.

SCmasterblaster
11-05-2012, 15:13
Speer Gold Dots are very good cartridges.

RYT 2BER
11-05-2012, 16:41

Personally I agree. I'm not a cop or an FBI agent. 22s have been killing people forever...

I have no concern if I'm carrying a 380... I have more concern about the gun because I have an lcp and I just don't shoot it that well..

Yes I much prefer my g23 or g20 to carry, or he'll just about any of my other guns for that matter... But up close and personal I have no doubt that 380 critical defense is getting the job done..

SCmasterblaster
11-05-2012, 16:52
Personally I agree. I'm not a cop or an FBI agent. 22s have been killing people forever...

I have no concern if I'm carrying a 380... I have more concern about the gun because I have an lcp and I just don't shoot it that well..

Yes I much prefer my g23 or g20 to carry, or he'll just about any of my other guns for that matter... But up close and personal I have no doubt that 380 critical defense is getting the job done..

You manage to CCW a G20? That is a big pistol.

vafish
11-05-2012, 17:07
You manage to CCW a G20? That is a big pistol.

It's all about being committed to dressing around the gun.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SCmasterblaster
11-07-2012, 10:04
It's all about being committed to dressing around the gun.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

A loose-fitting suit jacket, I take it. :cool:

plp
05-15-2013, 21:41
Some day I'm going to have to invest in some clear ballistic gel and test them out for myself. I have everything from cheap steel jacket Tula to Critical Defense JHP, usually carry with UMC hardball flatnose in mag 1 and Critical Defense in mag 2. I'm more likely to use it on either the four legged or no legged critters than anything on 2 legs.

One item that I don't see brought up very often is why .380 is a good defensive choice, or more to the point, why I think it is a good defensive choice. In an SD situation, I'm morally and legally responsible for every round that leaves the muzzle.

In a high stress situation, not every round can be depended on to hit where I want it to, as the stats tend to show accuracy goes right out the window with the first major adrenaline dump. As I'm not going to attempt a 50 yd. shot with ANY handgun, regardless of caliber or capacity, my weapon will be used only as a last resort at very close range. I'm probably going to miss about 50 per cent of the time, if real world forensic numbers are to be believed.

What is behind those misses is my responsibility as well. Yes, a .380 falls off considerably compared to either .38 Special or 9mm at 50', and I think that is a very good thing indeed.

1canvas
05-15-2013, 22:00
Some day I'm going to have to invest in some clear ballistic gel and test them out for myself. I have everything from cheap steel jacket Tula to Critical Defense JHP, usually carry with UMC hardball flatnose in mag 1 and Critical Defense in mag 2. I'm more likely to use it on either the four legged or no legged critters than anything on 2 legs.

One item that I don't see brought up very often is why .380 is a good defensive choice, or more to the point, why I think it is a good defensive choice. In an SD situation, I'm morally and legally responsible for every round that leaves the muzzle.

In a high stress situation, not every round can be depended on to hit where I want it to, as the stats tend to show accuracy goes right out the window with the first major adrenaline dump. As I'm not going to attempt a 50 yd. shot with ANY handgun, regardless of caliber or capacity, my weapon will be used only as a last resort at very close range. I'm probably going to miss about 50 per cent of the time, if real world forensic numbers are to be believed.

What is behind those misses is my responsibility as well. Yes, a .380 falls off considerably compared to either .38 Special or 9mm at 50', and I think that is a very good thing indeed.

I understand what you are saying but I can't agree that I'm going to use an anemic caliber so if I miss the shots will be less dangerous to ''possible'' bystanders. If I pull my weapon it will most likely be because the bad guy has one. I want to hit him with the most powerful rounds I can handle well. a 380 is the very bottom of effective calibers. I owe it to my family and myself to carry the most effective caliber and weapon I can. and yes at times it won't be comfortable or convenient.

Merkavaboy
05-15-2013, 22:23
If I were carrying the .380 my choices would be Corbon DPX, Rem Golden Saber, Speer GDHP and Win Ranger T-Series in that order.

plp
05-16-2013, 00:52
I understand what you are saying but I can't agree that I'm going to use an anemic caliber so if I miss the shots will be less dangerous to ''possible'' bystanders. If I pull my weapon it will most likely be because the bad guy has one. I want to hit him with the most powerful rounds I can handle well. a 380 is the very bottom of effective calibers. I owe it to my family and myself to carry the most effective caliber and weapon I can. and yes at times it won't be comfortable or convenient.

Comfort or convenience is not a consideration to me. I carried a larger, heavier handgun for several years until I found a smaller, lighter one I could shoot equally well. I train at 7 yds, 15 yds, and 25 yds. at least once a week with .45, 9mm .380 and .22LR so I KNOW my strengths and weaknesses with each. Accuracy is paramount in my personal approach to firearms, but I'm a civvie that likes to shoot, not LE or military where I'm trained how to respond in a high stress situation. A man's got to recognize his limitations.

The single most important factor in any gunfight is, bring a gun. My Bodyguard is small and light enough with 4 different holsters there is zero reason for it not to be on my person, except when I'm in a courthouse or other facility with metal detectors. I can't effectively shoot lightweight 9mm or worse, .45ACP, need full framed handguns with 5" barrels to do any good on the second shot with either caliber. .380 is my best caliber in a mousegun, better to do an aimed shot than spray and pray.

I am sure the majority reading this have zero issues with 9mm in a mousegun but I do.