Slide Lock Spring Guide? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slide Lock Spring Guide?

dusty_dragon
11-02-2012, 05:51
need your help/advice for a moment:

i saw different slide lock springs,
some with longer arms:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/569501/glock-slide-lock-spring-glock-17-20-21-21sf-22-31-34-35-37

some with shorter ones:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/987216/glock-slide-lock-spring-glock-19-23-32-38

midway says they are for different modells, like fullsize (the larger ones) and compact (the smaller ones).

i could swear that in my gen.3 G17 and gen. 3 G19 are exactly the same springs, the smaller ones.

i always thought the larger ones are for gen. 4 glocks and not gen. 3 glocks?!

does glock have different slide lock springs from gen. 3 to gen. 4 glocks or from fullsize to compact modells or both?

how do their springs differ and which one would be the right one for a gen. 3 G17 and a gen. 3 G19?

thanks buddies :winkie:
can

Arc Angel
11-02-2012, 08:19
The G-17 springs are larger than the G-19 springs. I know because the last shipment of slide lock springs I received from Lone Wolf Distributors had oversized SLS's for the G-17 in it.

When I placed the order I clearly stated that I was ordering for a 3rd generation G-19; but I guess the monkey at the order desk was busy eating lunch when I phoned that order in and didn't pay attention.

Per Numrich Gun Parts Corp.:

G-17 SLS part number = 805760

G-19 SLS part number = 805770

They are NOT the same spring. By the way, have you ever considered a career as an order taker for a large Glock aftermarket parts supplier? ;)

dusty_dragon
11-02-2012, 09:35
thanks a lot, you're completely right, just checked my G17 and G19, both gen. 3, and the G17 slide lock spring is larger than in the G19, had that wrong in my mind.

perhaps i should think about a new career as a aftermarket parts supplier, good idea ;-)

just talked to a glock rep. here in austria, and he told me as following:
G17 SLS's (all generations) are the large ones and fit any generation
G19 SLS's are the samller ones (so far so good), but G19 gen. 3 and gen. 4 are different, both will fit each gun, but gen. 4 G19 SLS installed in gen. 3 G19 will sooner or later get canted and jam the slide lock, so no good idea.

you have to watch which G19 SLS you get, for a gen. 4 you need a different one than for a gen. 3.

i just can't tell how to differ the SLS for G19 gen. 4 from the one for a G19 SLS gen. 3
anyone a clue how to identify if this or that SLS is for this or that generation of G19?

btw. i encountered that most (not all, but really many) people who's business it is to know such things (like glock staff, aftermarket suppliers etc.) don't even have a clue what i'm talking about or just don't care. that's really very sad.

Arc Angel
11-02-2012, 18:59
Thanks a lot, you're completely right, just checked my G17 and G19, both gen. 3, and the G17 slide lock spring is larger than in the G19, had that wrong in my mind.

Perhaps i should think about a new career as a aftermarket parts supplier, good idea! ;)

Just talked to a glock rep. here in austria, and he told me as following:

....... G19 SLS's are the samller ones (so far so good), but G19 gen. 3 and gen. 4 are different, both will fit each gun, but gen. 4 G19 SLS installed in gen. 3 G19 will sooner or later get canted and jam the slide lock, so no good idea.

You have to watch which G19 SLS you get, for a gen. 4 you need a different one than for a gen. 3.

I just can't tell how to differ the SLS for G19 gen. 4 from the one for a G19 SLS gen. 3

Anyone a clue how to identify if this or that SLS is for this or that generation of G19?

BTW, I've found (Ed.) that most (not all, but really many) people whose (Ed.) business it is to know such things (like glock staff, aftermarket suppliers etc.) don't even have a clue what i'm talking about or just don't care. That's really very sad.

You are, of course, welcome! :)

You live in Austria and German is your native language! How cool! The way I tell which spring is which is that I lay them out and compare my existing supplies on hand against whatever I've recently received. (There's no other way!)

You're, oh so, right about aftermarket and factory parts order personnel who truly don't seem to give a damn. Here in the states I've found: Glockmeister, Glockparts.com, and Ed's Public Safety to be as close to mistake proof as possible.

Anything you buy for a Glock on Amazon.com is, also, likely to be right; and your satisfaction is guaranteed. (Amazon seems to run a really tight ship!) In fact, I'm going to be ordering more Hogue grips from them this weekend. You take care!

:wavey:

curlysir
11-02-2012, 20:10
And to further complicate things, there is an early and late version of the Gen 4 G19 SLS.

dusty_dragon
11-02-2012, 20:11
hello arc angel,
thanks for your kind words.
yes, german is my mother tongue, so i hope you don't mind my english.
schooltimes are long since gone and i do my very best ;-)

where i live it's easier to get factory OEM parts than aftermarket parts from glockmeister etc.
shipping from the US is always a problem due to your ITAR restrictions etc.
import to austria or germany would be no legal problem, but exporting it from the states will be (at least with some parts).
f.e. we had the "30274" ejectors very early and in great supply and with no problem to get your hand on, but on the other hand it's more difficult to get a ghost connector or parts from numrich.

glock and their european distributers ship the OEM parts directly to the glock owner, not via the detour of a certified glock armorer etc. like it seems to be in the US.

so getting OEM parts is not a real problem here, but getting tuning parts sometimes is very hard.

i understand your method how to differ newer glock parts from older ones etc., that seems the best way to go, so i'll take my SLS out of my G19 and compare it to the SLS i recently got from glock.

would be much easier if glock would have told me how the G19 gen. 4 SLS is to distinguish from the G19 gen. 3 SLS, but they only could tell me that there are 2 different models of the SLS for the gen. 4 G19 and one for the gen. 3 G19, so all in all there are 3 different G19 SLSs.
so disassembling my old G19 SLS and compare it to the new SLS i recently got seems the only option i have. would be much easier if they would put numbers on that parts too.

thanks for your help, my friend ;-)

hello curlysir:
you are absolutely right, there are 2 different SLSs for the gen. 4 G19, but i only own gen. 3 glocks and so i only need to find the right one for the gen. 3 G19.

curlysir
11-02-2012, 20:21
deleted

Made in Austria
11-02-2012, 21:36
Oh man, I miss my mom's Wienerschnitzl with an Steirischen kuerbiskernoel salat and having an guatn Apfelstrudel as dessert.

dusty_dragon
11-03-2012, 04:24
hmmmm, sounds awesome ;-)

SCC
11-03-2012, 08:20
http://i33.tinypic.com/2h7093p.jpg

dusty_dragon
11-03-2012, 10:51
nice pic, thanks.
on the far right is a G17 SLS, the others seem to be G19 SLSs, but which one is for which generation of G19?

SCC
11-03-2012, 11:08
this is for the GEN 3..
Will be the the one in the center for the 19-23-32 ...
the one on the left is for the 26-27-33...
and the on on the right is all standard glock frames G17 and so on

dusty_dragon
11-03-2012, 14:08
thanks, perfect ;-)

do you know how to distinguish a gen. 4 G19 SLS from the gen. 3 G19 SLS shown above?
what is the most visible distinctive feature?

looked around in the internet, but couldn't find a pic of a gen. 3 G19 SLSs in direct comparison to a gen. 4 G19 SLS

SJ 40
11-03-2012, 14:11
This may or may not help with identification.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18912182&postcount=2

SJ 40

dusty_dragon
11-03-2012, 14:28
great, thanks a lot, you can see that there is a larger "latch" at the right end of the G19/compact gen. 3 SLS, the gen. 4 G19/compact SLSs have a shorter right end and a little upward angle, right?

what astonishes me is the fact that f.e. midway and other retailers don't differ between gen. 4 and gen. 3 G19/compact SLSs?
glock told me, the SLSs are different and shouldn't be used in the wrong generation of glocks.

AustinTx
11-03-2012, 20:30
You're, oh so, right about aftermarket and factory parts order personnel who truly don't seem to give a damn. Here in the states I've found: Glockmeister, Glockparts.com, and Ed's Public Safety to be as close to mistake proof as possible.

Anything you buy for a Glock on Amazon.com is, also, likely to be right; and your satisfaction is guaranteed. (Amazon seems to run a really tight ship!) In fact, I'm going to be ordering more Hogue grips from them this weekend. You take care!

:wavey:

Thanks, for this bit of info. I'm gonna file this away. I haven't ordered anything lately, so that's good to know.

dusty_dragon
11-04-2012, 06:02
it's sad but true that aftermarket and factory personnel don't seem to care 'bout our probs.
of course there are some (too few) outstanding persons in the supply line, but most seem just to not care 'bout there job, our needs and anything else.

curlysir
11-04-2012, 09:41
GlockParts.com does http://glockparts.com/SchematicsList.aspx

Gen 3 G19 SLS part # SP02317
Gen 4 G19 SLS part # SP08073

dusty_dragon
11-04-2012, 10:09
true for the part numbers, but the pic of the gen. 3 and gen. 4 G19/compact SLS is exactly the same, but somehow they got to differ from each other

curlysir
11-04-2012, 11:43
true for the part numbers, but the pic of the gen. 3 and gen. 4 G19/compact SLS is exactly the same, but somehow they got to differ from each other

A lot of vendors use generic pictures. The part # is correct and I got the correct parts when I upgraded the SLS in my Gen 2 Gen 19 (Same as Gen 3) and Gen 4 Gen 23.

dusty_dragon
11-04-2012, 12:00
oh, so you got a gen. 2 G19 and a gen. 4 G19
is it correct that the SLS of the gen. 4 has an upward angle and a shorter right end (facing towards shooter, not muzzle) piece and the gen. 3 G19 SLS has a nearly right angle in the first curve and a longer right end piece?

curlysir
11-04-2012, 16:49
oh, so you got a gen. 2 G19 and a gen. 4 G19
is it correct that the SLS of the gen. 4 has an upward angle and a shorter right end (facing towards shooter, not muzzle) piece and the gen. 3 G19 SLS has a nearly right angle in the first curve and a longer right end piece?

My mistake, my Gen 4 is a G23 which uses the same SLS as the G19.

Mine look just like the ones in this picture: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18912182&postcount=2

No way to confuse them when you have them side by side.

dusty_dragon
11-04-2012, 17:17
thanks a lot to all of you for all your help, you're a great source of information.
hope you don't mind my english and perhaps my false grammar etc. but coming from europe, english isn't my mother tongue but i'll try to do my best not being a desgrace to you and the board ;-)

so one last question about the picture in the link:
the top SLS reads "new upgraded gen. 4 slide lock spring", nothing is mentioned about "compact" in the text of the top SLS, just "gen. 4"
is this SLS on top of the pic the SLS for a standard G17 frame or a compact G19 frame of the 4th gen.?

the two SLSs below read "compact" so it's clear, the top one doesn't.

i suppose the top one is the newest SLS for gen. 4 compact glocks, right?

Made in Austria
11-04-2012, 17:35
thanks a lot to all of you for all your help, you're a great source of information.
hope you don't mind my english and perhaps my false grammar etc. but coming from europe, english isn't my mother tongue but i'll try to do my best not being a desgrace to you and the board ;-)

so one last question about the picture in the link:
the top SLS reads "new upgraded gen. 4 slide lock spring", nothing is mentioned about "compact" in the text of the top SLS, just "gen. 4"
is this SLS on top of the pic the SLS for a standard G17 frame or a compact G19 frame of the 4th gen.?

the two SLSs below read "compact" so it's clear, the top one doesn't.

i suppose the top one is the newest SLS for gen. 4 compact glocks, right?

My bad. I forgot to write "compact" right next to the SLS on the top. All three SLS are compact springs.

dusty_dragon
11-04-2012, 17:46
thanks, that's what i supposed you intended to write ;-)