LCT sure is squeaky [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LCT sure is squeaky

Fwdftw
11-02-2012, 09:50
So ive probably loaded over 6000 rounds on my LCT and the ram is starting to squeal when it goes up and down. Whats the process to clean this thing?:wavey:

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2012, 10:06
So ive probably loaded over 6000 rounds on my LCT and the ram is starting to squeal when it goes up and down. Whats the process to clean this thing?:wavey:

Oil the ram with some motor oil. You don't clean it per-sea.

F106 Fan
11-02-2012, 10:11
I would disassemble the entire press down to bits and pieces. Then I would clean all the parts with some kind of solvent. I would probably use Mineral Spirits although even WD40 would work.

Dillon recommends 30 wt motor oil for the ram and grease for everything else. I would use either axle grease or some kind of moly grease on the pins and cross-bolts.

Dillon says to avoid using Break Free or WD40 for lubrication as it might contaminate the primers or powder.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2012, 10:16
Jezz, it just needs lube. The contaminants will drip right out with the design of the LCT.

Actually, oil all the linkage parts as well.

Fwdftw
11-02-2012, 11:44
10-4 i tried a little clp still squeky lol. Ill pick up some cheap motor oil when i get out. Steve does the ram even come off the lct

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

WiskyT
11-02-2012, 14:43
It's probably not the ram that is squeaking. Based on my Pro1000, which has a similar bottom end, it is the pivot pins on the lower linkage. Take the handle and linkage off and put a dab of grease on the pins before putting it all back together. You can just wipe down the ram without disassembling it and put a drop of oil here and there.

Also, and I'm not sure what all is in there, there are plastic gears for advancement. Plastic gears can squeak. If it is the plastic gears, I would just ignore them. They will wear out one day. That day may be tomorrow or twenty years from now. When they do wear out, replace them with a $5.00 new set.

I'll be standing buy for the usual "If you spent $1,000.00 more on the Dillon it wouldn't squeak." responses that will be along shortly.

dkf
11-02-2012, 14:50
I have some high Zinc 20w-50 synthetic motor oil in a bottle with an oiling needle on it. This bottle only lets out small amounts of oil and you can put it where you need it. Bought the bottle from McMaster. I oil the ram every time I use it and put some oil on the pivot points as well. Oiled it more often when new so the cast iron soaks up the th eoil. Cast iron holds oil well and will last a a very long time with a little oil. If you want to take it apart look at the parts diagram on Lees site and take it apart for cleaning. The ram can be taken out no problem.

sig357fan
11-02-2012, 15:13
I just wipe the exposed surfaces of the moving parts down with a patch soaked in alcohol, then put some sewing machine oil on, cycle a few times to spread the oil making sure the entire surface has a thin coat of oil, then take a clean patch and wipe off the excess.

if the above dosn't smooth things out or something is binding, I'll dismantile and inspect the parts while cleaning with alcohol, correct any problems I find, oil and reassemble.

sig357fan

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2012, 15:48
10-4 i tried a little clp still squeky lol. Ill pick up some cheap motor oil when i get out. Steve does the ram even come off the lct

Yes, but I would soak the parts in oil and let it sit with a bucket to catch the drippings. Why dismantle if you don't have to. I do prefer grease on the pins but I just oil mine often and don't worry about it.

F106 Fan
11-02-2012, 16:11
I'll be standing buy for the usual "If you spent $1,000.00 more on the Dillon it wouldn't squeak." responses that will be along shortly.

Happy to oblige! :wavey:

In fact, the Dillon presses have grease fittings so you don't have to take them apart. Just grab a grease gun and give a squirt. The minor pins have an oil hole. Add some oil to the surface of the ram and it's all done.

And they don't squeak - EVER! They just tweet like a little bird. Kind of pleasant, actually.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2012, 16:43
Only the 650 and 1050 have usefull fittings. The 550 is missing the grease fitting in the upper links. It has a hole and you can get a needle grease gun. But it's still a PITA. LnL has nice fittings but it puts grease on the ram which is a complete PITA in another way. Makes the ram all sticky and nasty slow feeling when you pull the handle.

Fwdftw
11-02-2012, 17:57
Because i load in a spare bed room with carpet. My wife would freak out if i started puttin oil on everything. Lol

dkf
11-02-2012, 18:05
Maybe pick up some kind of rug or one of those plastic mats for under desks. Will keep the carpet clean and is cheaper than getting rid of the wife.

WiskyT
11-02-2012, 18:12
Because i load in a spare bed room with carpet. My wife would freak out if i started puttin oil on everything. Lol

We bought a new house and I use the spare BR as my gun room. It has carpet. The carpet got ruined prolly the second day I used the room. When my wife said something I told her she should be in the kitchen baking me a pie.

Seriously, the carpet was a write off from day one. If I cared about it enough to overcome my laziness, I'd put in one of those Home Depot laminate floors like they do on DIY network.

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2012, 18:33

Put the trash can under it, let it sit for a day and then wipe it down.

meleors
11-03-2012, 05:12
Now if Jack was here he'd say "Kroil is all you need, damn flatlanders!"

Fwdftw
11-03-2012, 09:42
twas the linkage Thanks guys!

Colorado4Wheel
11-03-2012, 11:29
Please tell me you will take better care of it now. Lube it every couple months. Something more then "every time I hear it scream in pain".

Fwdftw
11-03-2012, 12:02
Yes sir steve! lol Thanks again.

WiskyT
11-03-2012, 14:10
Yes sir steve! lol Thanks again.

If you used grease on those pins it should be good for a long time.

CaptainXL
11-05-2012, 09:24
Don't make a major project out of it!!!!

Take a clean rag or patch and wipe down the ram all of the way around its circumference, above and below the cast body to remove any dirt, etc. Then put a few drop of oil on a cleaning patch or rag and wipe a thin coat of oil on the ram above and below the cast body of the press. A thin coating of oil will not drip on the floor.

Take a rag and hold it under the bolts on the linkage and put one or two drops of oil at ALL pivot points. You don't need to soak it! Just a drop or two at each pivot point & linkage point and wipe off any excess oil. Run the ram up and down a few times and oil the linkage and pivot points again being sure to wipe off and excess that might or could drip onto the floor.

Simple! Not messy. No dripping oil. Not a big project.

I personally clean and oil my Lee Turret as described about every 1000 to 1500 rounds and have never had a drop of oil get on the carpeting. (I too load in a spare bedroom - I use a folding "Workmate" bench as my reloading table.)

Zombie Steve
11-05-2012, 10:00
Now if Jack was here he'd say "Kroil is all you need, damn flatlanders!"

You know any product with that many health warnings has to be good.

:cowboy: