Glock magazine DIASASEMBLY???? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock magazine DIASASEMBLY????

HD45ACP
11-02-2012, 15:40
I'm failing so hard at disassembling my magazine I don't have a Glock armorer's tool but I used something similar and then the part that I punched in fell inside and got loose and I can't get te floorplate to budge LOL:faint:HELP:crying:

Butcher
11-02-2012, 15:43
Don't need an armorers tool to take apart a mag. Just force that sucker open. It's probably seized on there with carbon deposits. Stick a hex wrench down through the hole and use it as a lever

Keep scrolling....

KenInColorado
11-02-2012, 15:48
I just use my Glock punch tool thing to push in the little button on the bottom of the floor plate and then slide the floorplate off. Push the button in far enough that it makes a spring noise, then take the tool out. It should slide pretty easily after that.

You may want to google "glock magazine disassembly". There are bunches or write ups out there. Some will undoubtedly explain it better than I have. It's actually pretty easy.

Reswob
11-02-2012, 15:51
You have to squeeze the sides of mag tube really frickin' hard while you slide the floorplate forward.

ak103k
11-02-2012, 15:52
If you look down the mag body from the top, youll see to little tabs that protrude into the top of the base plate. Thats probably whats holding things up.

Ive never had good luck using just a tool or punch to rip the base plate off. I usually end up tearing it and the mag up trying.

I did get one of these, and it makes things so much easier and with no effort at all.....

http://www.mygtul.com/

Ive also used a pair of Channel Locs to squeeze the mag body just over the tabs with good results. Just take it easy, you dont have to squeeze to much at all.

lethal tupperwa
11-02-2012, 15:58
next you will say you use a HAMMER to get the pins out

ak103k
11-02-2012, 16:07
You might want to take a hammer to it after trying to get them off with just using the Glock tool. :supergrin:

KenInColorado
11-02-2012, 16:13
Either I'm doing it wrong or you guys are. But for me the magazines are easier to take apart than it is to detail strip the slide, and you gotta admit that's pretty darned easy.

davsco
11-02-2012, 16:24
I did get one of these, and it makes things so much easier and with no effort at all.....

http://www.mygtul.com/

yes, +100 highly recommended

dhgeyer
11-02-2012, 16:46
The floorplate will not come off unless you squeeze the body of the mag right over the little tabs that hold it on. And you have to do this while keeping the stud on the magazine insert out of the hole in the floorplate.

I only do this the first time. As soon as I get the floorplate off I cut the tabs off the mag body with an Exacto saw (very small and fine) and a good sharp woodworking chisel. After that the stud in the magazine insert holds the floorplate on just fine - like every other pistol magazine these days.

Way back when, if I remember correctly, Glock mags didn't have the magazine insert with the stud. The tabs on the mag body were what held it together. I have no idea why they kept the tabs when they added the magazine insert. They really aren't needed, and they are a pain.

faawrenchbndr
11-02-2012, 16:55
Place the mag body on the edge of the counter with the baseplate hanging over.
Insert a Glock tool, or a 3/32 punch into the hole in the baseplate.
Sharply push the tool toward the floor,........baseplate snaps loose.
Remove tool, remove baseplate & internals. :cool:

No need for gimmick, one trick pony tools!
No need for cutting, trimming or chiseling mag bodies!

ak103k
11-02-2012, 17:04
Place the mag body on the edge of the counter with the baseplate hanging over.
Insert a Glock tool, or a 3/32 punch into the hole in the baseplate.
Sharply push the tool toward the floor,........baseplate snaps loose.
Remove tool, remove baseplate & internals. :cool:

No need for gimmick, one trick pony tools!
No need for cutting, trimming or chiseling mag bodies!
Ive done that, as well as a few other methods, and still always seem to have difficulties, and tear up the base plate, specifically the hole in it, as well as the inside of the mag with repeated disassemblies.

The GTUL may seem gimmicky, but it does work very well, and is the easiest of any method Ive tried. It takes no effort at all.

As far as being "gimmicky", its no worse than any of the other gimmicky Glock "accessories" people use, and it has no questionable side effects like some of the others.

samurairabbi
11-02-2012, 17:17
I see this situation frequently at the local gunshow.

You must shove the punch/tool as far into the hole as you can, and then lever HARD with your ARM muscles in addition to your finger and hand muscles. You will think you will break something; don't worry, you won't.

Compressing the mag sides can help the process, but is not truly necessary.

HD45ACP
11-02-2012, 17:27
I tried the counter technique without the punch BEFORE and nothing, with the tool and MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!:supergrin: LOL

Las Vegan
11-02-2012, 17:41
You have to squeeze the sides of mag tube really frickin' hard while you slide the floorplate forward.
This this this. The first time I tried to disassemble a Glock mag it took me about 45 minutes of cussing and knuckle banging. The second time, after having had it apart and seeing where the tabs were and what they did, took about ten seconds. Squeeze them suckers in just the right place and you're golden.

unit1069
11-02-2012, 17:43

Check! This is the ticket to Glock mag disassembly.

Black&TAN
11-02-2012, 17:58
This depends on the generation of mags. Earlier did not have same support on all sides, and would compress to ease disassembly. However, for newer mags, jamming a punch all the way into the hole at bottom and push forward will do the trick every time, without deforming steel insert.

Granted, it's strange and feels like something might break, but this is the way it works. Best approach to avoid marring is to use a Glock tool, however a punch or similar will also suffice.

sent via Tapatalk

GeorgiaGlocker
11-02-2012, 18:00
If a hammer doesn't work, you have an electrical problem.

SCC
11-02-2012, 18:20
You might want to take a hammer to it after trying to get them off with just using the Glock tool. :supergrin:
BS !!! :upeyes:

SCC
11-02-2012, 18:26
the floorplate will not come off unless you squeeze the body of the mag right over the little tabs that hold it on. And you have to do this while keeping the stud on the magazine insert out of the hole in the floorplate.

I only do this the first time. As soon as i get the floorplate off i cut the tabs off the mag body with an exacto saw (very small and fine) and a good sharp woodworking chisel. After that the stud in the magazine insert holds the floorplate on just fine - like every other pistol magazine these days.

Way back when, if i remember correctly, glock mags didn't have the magazine insert with the stud. The tabs on the mag body were what held it together. I have no idea why they kept the tabs when they added the magazine insert. They really aren't needed, and they are a pain.
get the right tool !!!!

dhgeyer
11-02-2012, 18:40
get the right tool !!!!

I have the right tools. Like I said, an Exacto dovetail saw and a good, sharp woodworkng chisel. After that it just isn't a problem. You can't get your mags apart to clean them as fast as I can. And I didn't have to pay for some special tool that I didn't already have in the shop.

ak103k
11-02-2012, 18:55
get the right tool !!!!
Yea, one of these.....

https://www.mygtul.com/image.php?image=upload/45_files/cart/images/521.jpg

No effort, or damage at all.

Photoman642
11-02-2012, 19:03
Gtul works well or a small c-clamp. You can rip 'em off like everyone is saying but I prefer not to.

AR15 guy
11-02-2012, 19:15
I take an appropriate size punch, stick it down in the hole about an inch, then I use the punch to push the floor plate forward. I didn't know people had problems with glock mags...I have even done it with a .223 bullet.

Valerko
11-02-2012, 19:17
Wouldn't happened to be a 10 round mag , like the ones we have to use in NY, would it ?
Those suckers need a lot of elbow grease to come off. Regular ones are easy.

captcurly
11-02-2012, 19:59
I have been using the mygtul and it is a great product. You do not mark up the mag tubes and it just makes life a bit easier.

curlysir
11-02-2012, 20:01
Yea, one of these.....

:agree:

Yep, this is what I use, works everytime. To some this may not be necessary, but it sure has made my life easier.

dhoomonyou
11-03-2012, 13:24
Wear gloves
Squeeze side
Use GLOCK tool
IMHO. Simple

SCmasterblaster
11-03-2012, 13:27
But it has been years. :upeyes:

faawrenchbndr
11-03-2012, 13:42
Wow,....do not understand why so many have problems with the base plate removal.
Been using just the Glock tool since 1994.....never had a problem.
No broken tools, no mangled baseplate holes, no issues. :dunno:

RUT
11-03-2012, 15:49
Yea, one of these.....

Yup, this thing makes quick work out of Glock mag. dis-assembly.

Arc Angel
11-03-2012, 17:32
I'm failing so hard at disassembling my magazine I don't have a Glock armorer's tool but I used something similar and then the part that I punched in fell inside and got loose and I can't get the floor plate to budge. HELP!

OK, I'll try. First DO NOT cut the floor plate tabs off the magazine tube. Glock designed and put them there for a good reason; and, who knows, you might have to fight for your life someday with that magazine! (I shot competitively for many years; and I've seen more than one magazine either, 'speed dump' or hit the floor in front of a shooter's shoes.)

I own more than 20 Glock magazines; and ALL of them are clean on the inside! (I went to a local zombie shoot last week; and I really had a lot of magazine cleaning to do when I got home! I've got this down to, 'a science'; and, believe me, the way I do it is no trouble at all.)

Here's the best answer you've been given so far:

Place the mag body on the edge of the counter with the base plate hanging over.

Insert a Glock tool, or a 3/32 punch into the hole in the base plate. Sharply push the tool toward the floor. Base plate snaps loose. Remove tool, remove base plate & internals.

No need for gimmick, one trick pony tools! No need for cutting, trimming or chiseling mag bodies!

I use a slight variation of this technique. First, if you haven't got a Glock armorer's tool, you don't need to spend 12 to 15 dollars in order to get one. Go to a place like Sears or True Value Hardware and pick up a 3/32's inch machinist's, 'drift punch' with a narrow shaft that is, at least, 3/4's of an inch long. I paid less than $5 bucks, apiece, for the two that I own.

(My True Value hardware store has steel drift punches with 1 inch shafts on them; and they're perfect for any kind of work on a Glock; they, also, fit inside the hollow handle of my Kleen-Bore, 'Pocket Rods'.)

Now, evidently you've managed to turn the inside, 'insert plate' on edge and have pushed it out of the way. THAT'S GOOD! Why? Because the insert plate is the first part you have to elevate by about a 1/4 inch in order to take internal pressure off the magazine's, 'ears' - These tabs are the things that hold the exterior floor plate firmly in place so that it can't be jarred off the bottom of the magazine tube.

Once the insert plate is elevated, and out of the way, the magazine floor plate is free to move. Here's a variation of the technique faawrenchbndr just told you about: First I lay the magazine on its side, and place the bottom of the magazine's edge - just above the floor plate - against the 90 degree angle on the side of my desk.

Then I push the 3/32's punch through the hole in the mag's floor plate and elevate the insert plate by, about, 1/4 inch; AND hold it there. Now I put my support hand on top of the magazine body and squeeze the one side of the magazine against the other. At the same time I, simultaneously, yank forward on the drift punch until the floor plate begins to move.

(The very first time you remove the floor plate on a new magazine it might take two or three good yanks to get the floor plate to move. After the first time, it gets easier.)

That's it! Your magazine's floor plate is off. Now, because your interior insert plate is already set on edge and isn't applying any internal pressure to the sides of the magazine, all you need to do is place that magazine on it's side in the manner that I've already described, insert the drift punch into the hole, squeeze the sides together, and pull that floor plate off.

(It's take me 25 times longer to type this than it's taken me to get any Glock magazine apart - Ever!) :supergrin:

NOTE: YOU DO NOT NEED ANY FRIGG 'IN PLASTIC GIZMOS IN ORDER TO WORK ON A GLOCK! :freak:

Aside from installing new sights, a 3/32's inch drift punch, or an armorer's tool, and (maybe) a small screwdriver like the ones they sell in kits at Radio Shack are all you'll ever need.

faawrenchbndr
11-03-2012, 17:48
Arc Angel,......very nice. May have to try that. :cool:

ak103k
11-03-2012, 19:42
NOTE: YOU DO NOT NEED ANY FRIGG 'IN PLASTIC GIZMOS IN ORDER TO WORK ON A GLOCK!
With that said, you really dont need all the other aftermarket accessories a lot of people seem to think you need to run a Glock either, eh?

Other than night sights and some stippling, I run my Glocks bone stock. The GTUL, and a MGW sight tool, are the only aftermarket gizmos Ive bought to use with them. Both excel at what they do too, and without any modification to the guns too.

Ive found using the GTUL allows for fast and effortless disassembly of the mags, right in my hands, without the need of a workbench or table, or any other "tools", and no stress on the mag itself. The brush makes the actual cleaning easier too, and does the inside of the mag in one, or at most, two strokes.

Hey, if you have your method down and it works, great. If you have troubles getting the mags apart using the tool, and/or other things, then you may want to look into the GTUL.