New to Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to Glock

str8himalaya
11-02-2012, 18:33
Hello,

I'm new to the site, kinda, and I am getting ready to take possession of a brand new EXO Glock 23. I have a lot of questions to start with. First, I have a friend that has a 23, and neither of us shoot it very well at all. Horrible groups at 50 ft, plenty of flyers completely off the 12" target as well. I come from a Kimber compact 1911 platform, and he comes from a 9mm CZ-07 Duty platform. Are we just not used to it and just need to practice, or are we just that terrible? I can land rounds in three inch groups with my Kimber, even in bullseye league. Obviously, different kind of firearm, but I would figure something close to that would help. Any advice on shooting them? I have also seen many people say to polish the internals and drop in a ghost trigger? I have seen how to do it, looks pretty easy, but this will be my carry gun/self defense gun. I would really hate to do something that could get me in some trouble with a lawyer if, God forbid, I have to use it to protect myself or my family. Any advice on what to upgrade, if anything at all? I have standard sights on it, so night sights are a given. A little bling with NP3 pins and extended slide release look enticing as well. Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to getting shooting with a glock finally!

SCmasterblaster
11-02-2012, 18:46
You need a good dry-firing session. Start with an UNLOADED Glock, no ammo around anywhere, and set up a small bullseye on the wall. Get your grip on the Glock, line your sights up on the bullseye, and dry fire at it - watching your front sight closely. Does your front sight wiggle as the striker releases? If it does, then you know why you have fliers and big groups. You have to be able to release the striker without wiggling the pistol to shoot the Glock accurately. I have been shooting my G17 since 1989. I know how to shoot it accurately. :cool:

1911austin
11-02-2012, 18:48
The best advice I can give you is to learn how to properly squeeze the trigger and then spend your money on ammo and range time. I usually put in a lighting strike plunger and polish the stock connector and trigger bar but there is simply no replacement for trigger time. This includes a lot of dry firing.

Another recommendation is increasing hand strength. You may run into some issues with a lighter than spec trigger but I have never heard a person’s hand strength being questioned in a shooting case.

Frank V
11-02-2012, 18:52
str

First welcome to the forum.
Part of your problem could just be the difference between the Glock trigger & the ones you are used to.
I would suggest you DON'T alter the trigger especially as you are just starting out.
Practice dry firing. Make DOUBLE sure your gun is empty. Then cock the gun & carefully press the trigger till the trigger releases. Recock the gun & press the trigger again. Do this till you are very familiar with your trigger. Just press the trigger straight to the rear till it goes off.
Make sure you have a good two hand hold pushing & pulling with your strong hand into your weak hand. Grip the gun pretty hard, but not tight enough to cause tremors at this point.
I think if you will dry fire your gun you will build confidence in the gun & the different trigger system.
Good luck, good shooting. Let us know how it goes.
Frank

Butch
11-02-2012, 22:35
Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to GlockTalk!

Advise: Don't screw with the gun you plan to defend your life with, just learn to shoot it....a lot of people come here trying to find out why their gun doesn't work after they added bling and/or polish.

Best place to start? My blog....especially page two....articles on trigger control and using the reset.

MikeG36
11-03-2012, 01:15
Welcome to GT! In order to be accurate with a Glock, you first need to learn how to hold the pistol properly then you can work on trigger control. Start by doing lots of dry-fire practice while focusing on grip and trigger control.

Stick a postage stamp or small dot on the wall. With an empty weapon and no ammo in the room with you, get a proper grip on your weapon and practice dry firing while aiming at the postage stamp / dot on the wall. Watch your front sight and see how your trigger pull moves the weapon off target. Continue to practice while concentrating on grip and pull until you stay on target every time. Do 300 to 500 dry-fires per day for a week, then go to the range.

At the range, set your target at 5 to 7 yards. Make sure you have a good grip and squeeze off a few shots. Don't worry about speed, just focus on grip and trigger control. As you get better, move the target farther back. This may seem like a lot of work but in the end, it will be worth it.

Transitioning from a 1911 to a Glock isn't always easy but I can tell you this, if you are able to master the Glock's trigger, you will probably see a huge improvement with your 1911 shooting capabilities. You can search this forum for posts on proper grip and trigger control.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

str8himalaya
11-03-2012, 09:20
Sounds like I just need to shoot...a LOT. I am a triathlete, so summer is not so easy for me to shoot as much, but coming into winter in Indiana, hopefully I will be able to really get accurate with a glock like I had planned on. Getting used to the trigger will definitely be an adjustment, but I feel it will definitely help overall side arm performance. Should I even touch the internals at all? Even the ".25 trigger job" everyone seems to talk about? One last thing, while shooting my buddies g23 my index finger seems to get sore a lot quicker than with my Kimber. Anything I can do other than just recondition my hand for a different set up like the glock?

Frank V
11-03-2012, 13:59
Sounds like I just need to shoot...a LOT. I am a triathlete, so summer is not so easy for me to shoot as much, but coming into winter in Indiana, hopefully I will be able to really get accurate with a glock like I had planned on. Getting used to the trigger will definitely be an adjustment, but I feel it will definitely help overall side arm performance. Should I even touch the internals at all? Even the ".25 trigger job" everyone seems to talk about? One last thing, while shooting my buddies g23 my index finger seems to get sore a lot quicker than with my Kimber. Anything I can do other than just recondition my hand for a different set up like the glock?

I would again really suggest you don't fool with your Glock till you have shot it a LOT. Even then I'm really inclined to leave things as Glock built them for a defence gun. My variance from that are, night sights & I had a Glock Armorer at a GSSF match install a NY1 trigger, this increases the trigger pull, not decrease it. This is a very defensable modification to a weapon. See Massad Ayoob's thread about defense.
Good shooting.
Frank

bac1023
11-03-2012, 16:55
:welcome: to GT

poodleplumber
11-03-2012, 18:24
Welcome aboard. Good advice has been given regarding doing some dry firing and leaving the internals alone for now. The only thing I would add is that it isn't necessary to start with a 12 inch target 50 feet away. You kind of need to know where your rounds are going in order to get some ideas about what corrections to make.

Arc Angel
11-03-2012, 18:37
Welcome to GlockTalk!

Advise: Don't screw with the gun you plan to defend your life with, just learn to shoot it....a lot of people come here trying to find out why their gun doesn't work after they added bling and/or polish.

Best place to start? My blog....especially page two....articles on trigger control and using the reset.

Suggest you take the above advice; and, whatever else you do, do NOT use a 4# (or less) Ghost trigger in an EDC pistol. Ultimately, it's not the trigger; it's how well you learn to control the Glock trigger you've got that really counts! While I was learning how to shoot a Glock I put all my other pistols away, and only used the Glock.

(How long did it take me to become, 'decent' with a Glock? About 18 months!) :supergrin:

By the way, 15 yards is too far for an inexperienced Glock shooter to practice at. You need to use, 'an accordion technique' during your practice sessions. The distances I used to practice at, and the order in which I shot my targets was: 5 yards, 7 1/2 yards, 10 yards, 12 yards, and, then, 16 yards.

I'd fire 10 rounds at each position; and, then, I'd reverse the whole proceedure, and shoot my way back to the 5 yard line. (You'll need a hundred rounds - plus whatever you normally carry for the trip home - for each training session.)

PS: I, also, do a lot of daily dry fire practice.

SJ 40
11-03-2012, 18:49
Suggest you take the above advice; and, whatever else you do, do NOT use a 4# (or less) Ghost trigger in an EDC pistol. Ultimately, it's not the trigger; it's how well you learn to control the Glock trigger you've got that really counts! While I was learning how to shoot a Glock I put all my other pistols away, and only used the Glock.

(How long did it take me to become, 'decent' with a Glock? About 18 months!) :supergrin:

By the way, 15 yards is too far for an inexperienced Glock shooter to practice at. You need to use, 'an accordion technique' during your practice sessions. The distances I used to practice at, and the order in which I shot my targets was: 5 yards, 7 1/2 yards, 10 yards, 12 yards, and, then, 16 yards.

I'd fire 10 rounds at each position; and, then, I'd reverse the whole proceedure, and shoot my way back to the 5 yard line. (You'll need a hundred rounds - plus whatever you normally carry for the trip home - for each training session.)

PS: I, also, do a lot of daily dry fire practice.Just my two cents I'd pay attention to both of these fellows along with Danny R have to say or offer in the way of advice, I do. SJ 40

str8himalaya
11-03-2012, 19:15
Thanks for all the advice! Just picked it up...finally my first glock:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1685&pictureid=6085

MNBud
11-04-2012, 08:32
It seems you have received enough information on dry firing,now for the sore trigger finger. On an unloaded gun move the safety lever on the trigger to the rear (fired position) and then with a fine round or half round jewelers file remove the material off the safety lever until it is flush with the rest of the trigger. Then with 400 grit emery paper, sand this smooth,I even go to 600 grit and do the top edged of the serrated trigger.