My shiny boots finally paid off [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My shiny boots finally paid off

collim1
11-03-2012, 01:34
Today the entire shift, minus me, got an earful about their boots looking like crap.

I have been putting Kiwi on my boots every week for years and have caught crap from the BDU guys for years.

Today for once, I got to be excluded from the rant of the day butt chewing.

Besides looking good they wipe clean with a damp rag and scratches only get the layer of polish so they buff out and dont damage the leather.

Shine away guys.

OFCJIM40
11-03-2012, 02:29
Company man.

Kidding

Patchman
11-03-2012, 06:28
Good for you!

sheriff733
11-03-2012, 06:42
Today the entire shift, minus me, got an earful about their boots looking like crap.

I have been putting Kiwi on my boots every week for years and have caught crap from the BDU guys for years.

Besides looking good they wipe clean with a damp rag and scratches only get the layer of polish so they buff out and dont damage the leather.

Shine away guys.

Yeah, that's what our kiss assess do here, too.

:tongueout:

j/k

I don't polish. So, I just went and bought a pair of the 5.11 HRT boots (I think is what they are called) with the felt toe so now I have an excuse not to. :supergrin:

Kingarthurhk
11-03-2012, 07:36
In the Border Patrol we had a Field Office Supervisor who wanted brass polished and boots and leather polished before shift. They didn't care what mess you looked like after shift when you had been humping the brush for 10 hours.

On day shift I thought the shiny brass was stupid. You weren't going to catch many people lit up like a Christmas tree when the sun hit you.

But, that was old patrol. The new kids get nylon instead of leather and no brass to polish. Less work, and less wear and tear on the back.

Mattz
11-03-2012, 08:45
Good for you. I polish my boots everyday before shift. Used to catch ****, too.. even to the point guys were telling me to stop polishing my boots. lol

msu_grad_121
11-03-2012, 09:18
Funny, this just came up a few days ago on mids. One of the shift's "old timers" was giving the newb on afternoons grief for her boots looking like mirrors, and started in on me, too. Mine aren't shined like hers, but they're definitely better than his. "Oh it's not tactical to have your boots shined like that."

I just told him that by that logic, his shiny bald head isn't tactical, either, and FAR more likely to light him up than our boots. :supergrin:

Kingarthurhk
11-03-2012, 09:26
Funny, this just came up a few days ago on mids. One of the shift's "old timers" was giving the newb on afternoons grief for her boots looking like mirrors, and started in on me, too. Mine aren't shined like hers, but they're definitely better than his. "Oh it's not tactical to have your boots shined like that."

I just told him that by that logic, his shiny bald head isn't tactical, either, and FAR more likely to light him up than our boots. :supergrin:

Speaking of not tactical. We had a former police officer from New Orleans come to our border patrol station as a trainee. I would always show up to muster early, it helps to get a seat in the back. I would smell him comming and call out his name before he reached the muster room. He asked me how I knew it was him. I told him it was his aftershave that was pretty pungent. I told him, I could smell him, when wind changes direction in the brush so could all the illegals. No one smells like that out in the brush.:rofl:

Panzergrenadier1979
11-03-2012, 09:30
Our troopers seem to compete with each other over who has the least shined boots.

merlynusn
11-03-2012, 09:45
I don't think boots should look like mirrors, but they should at least be black and not greenish because it's been so long since they have had a coat of polish.

Kingarthurhk
11-03-2012, 09:45
Our troopers seem to compete with each other over who has the least shined boots.

My wife and I had a deal struck up. I would polish boots, brass and leather. She would iron my uniform. Then again, I would polish her shoes for her too.:supergrin:

CitizenOfDreams
11-03-2012, 09:58
I thought this thread would be about kicking a civilian with your shiny boots. :dunno:

Morris
11-03-2012, 10:26
The last time we had any sort of formal inspection was about six years ago. Boots were clean, serviceable and black. In our area, being polished lasts about as long as it takes to walk to the car.

We have a few gray toes that make me cringe. But since I am not a sergeant, I just shake my head and continue on. It's up to me to keep my gear and footwear in proper order.

blueiron
11-03-2012, 12:38
No one smells like that out in the brush.:rofl:

Perhaps, but the nortenos do when out on the weekend here. We didn't need canines to track them after a crime. :supergrin:

blueiron
11-03-2012, 12:39
I don't think boots should look like mirrors, but they should at least be black and not greenish because it's been so long since they have had a coat of polish.

Agreed. Polish them with bleach and the toes and heels come out white.

RetailNinja
11-03-2012, 13:51
I polish once every month or so. Horse hair brush and a damp rag do wonders.

EDIT: College boi here who was taught at the academy to polish boots by my former USMC roomate. His stuff looked like black chrome.

Kingarthurhk
11-03-2012, 15:03
Perhaps, but the nortenos do when out on the weekend here. We didn't need canines to track them after a crime. :supergrin:

The people we caught smelled like feet and ass, and would often use their hands to clean the last mentioned area of anatomy.

Even after being cleaned, the processing area laways smelled like a moldy goat.

blueiron
11-03-2012, 15:22
The people we caught smelled like feet and ass, and would often use their hands to clean the last mentioned area of anatomy.

That's the before. After, they all run out and buy a 1987 Ford truck with gobs of chrome, garish cowboy boots, and a black cowboy hat. Then they shower in the nastiest cologne, this side of Axe body spray.

blueiron
11-03-2012, 15:24

On second thought, are you certain you weren't processing Iraqis?

Sharky7
11-03-2012, 15:39
:needspics:

mercs50
11-03-2012, 20:35
We had a guy with boots so green he looked like the Green Lantern. One of the other guys spit shined one of his boots and he wore them like that for a week before the Sgt. told him to shine the other:rofl:

blk69stang
11-03-2012, 21:15
But, that was old patrol. The new kids get nylon instead of leather and no brass to polish. Less work, and less wear and tear on the back.

Yeah, when they rolled out the nylon gear the claim was the change was to "reduce weight". You know what? My nylon duty gear weighs within a half pound of what my old leather gear weighed. So weight savings was negligible.

And the best part? The Nylon gear doesn't last. I have to replace all of it once a year because the mesquite abrades the nylon and causes it to fray. Looks like I'm wearing an afro wig around my waist about the time I have to replace it.

My old leather gear, OTOH, was just getting broken in nicely at the four year mark when they forced me to change.

The jerks even got rid of the old "cowboy cut" on the back of the uniform shirts when they went to these new BDU type unis. Oh, gee, we only had guys fight tooth and nail to keep the cowboy cut when they were forcing us out of DOJ and into DHS because the cowboy cut was part of our heritage. Then, six years later, they crap all over our heritage and the hard work of the guys who fought to keep it when we voluntarily decide to go to BDUs and nobody bothered to carry over the cowboy cut. It's little stuff, I know, but it was part of our identity. I hate it when these pencil-pushing ladder-climbers have no connection to our heritage, and no idea what the guys in the field actually want/need... they just take whatever dumb idea they happen to think is best and cram it down our throats.

Yeah, morale is awesome in the Patrol right now.

GRIMLET
11-03-2012, 21:18
When your nylon gets afroesque, may I suggest burning the fro with a lighter. It will keep your rig " crisp ".
Pun intended. Seriously, try it.

Agent6-3/8
11-04-2012, 02:58
Good for you!

Fellow boot polisher here. I personally like looking squared away. Tailored uniforms and polished boots for me. I don't even mind wearing my hat...*gasp*

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

Sniff
11-04-2012, 05:25
I polish my boots at the start of every shift and often during the shift if they need it.

There is a brush and polish in my duty bag, there's another kit on the bench in my garage at home and the department puts them in the locker rooms as well.

It's one of my little OCD traits. Most likely comes from the punishment I got once in the Army for having dirty boots.

The shoes I wear to court are spit polished, but the boots are just done with a brush.

x_out86
11-04-2012, 09:57

Shine away guys.
I am right there with you brother. Call me old school, but I think you boots should start every shift with a shine. What they look like at the end of your tour is irrelevant.

Guys can give you hell all they want, but after attending the LEOKA presentation that the FBI does, you take a real look at what image you portray in uniform. When the BG's that tried to or did kill officers talk about they took notice of how in shape the officers were as well as how neat their uniform was when the sized them up.....you wont overlook the small things that may let the BG's know that you are not there to play games and go down easy.

kgain673
11-07-2012, 20:16
We had a guy with boots so green he looked like the Green Lantern. One of the other guys spit shined one of his boots and he wore them like that for a week before the Sgt. told him to shine the other:rofl:

Lolol

South Fla
11-07-2012, 21:54
I saw guys so lazy and not polish their boots with polish, that they sprayed them black with Krylon spray paint.

On the topic of pungent aftershave, when I was in the academy, they actually had a class, or a "block" as they call it now, about wearing unscented deodorant, unscented shampoo, shaving in the shower, unscented soap and not to wear aftershave because the bad guys smelling you coming.

Cochese
11-09-2012, 10:41
I thought this thread would be about kicking a civilian with your shiny boots. :dunno:

Choke yourself.

Cochese
11-09-2012, 10:42
I don't polish my boots. I keep them conditioned but that is it. Clean and conditioned looks really good in my opinion. They always look new rather than like **** with a shiny toe cap like some of our guys.

DaBigBR
11-09-2012, 16:41
I don't polish my boots. I keep them conditioned but that is it. Clean and conditioned looks really good in my opinion. They always look new rather than like **** with a shiny toe cap like some of our guys.

The only boots worth polishing, IMO, are full grain leather. All of the fake leather just looks more fake with an academy shine on it. Full grain looks good polished up.

collim1
11-09-2012, 21:57
Had to work a wreck on the interstate this week and wound up in calf deep mud most of the time. Set my boots outside until the dried the next day and spent a good bit of time picking the mud out of the sole and knocking it off the top.

Got em cleaned up with a damp rag and since I keep a nice polish on them they still looked pretty darn good when I got done.

I am giving them a quick coat now to buff out the scratches on the toe.

4949shooter
11-10-2012, 04:35
Yeah, when they rolled out the nylon gear the claim was the change was to "reduce weight". You know what? My nylon duty gear weighs within a half pound of what my old leather gear weighed. So weight savings was negligible.

And the best part? The Nylon gear doesn't last. I have to replace all of it once a year because the mesquite abrades the nylon and causes it to fray. Looks like I'm wearing an afro wig around my waist about the time I have to replace it.

My old leather gear, OTOH, was just getting broken in nicely at the four year mark when they forced me to change.

The jerks even got rid of the old "cowboy cut" on the back of the uniform shirts when they went to these new BDU type unis. Oh, gee, we only had guys fight tooth and nail to keep the cowboy cut when they were forcing us out of DOJ and into DHS because the cowboy cut was part of our heritage. Then, six years later, they crap all over our heritage and the hard work of the guys who fought to keep it when we voluntarily decide to go to BDUs and nobody bothered to carry over the cowboy cut. It's little stuff, I know, but it was part of our identity. I hate it when these pencil-pushing ladder-climbers have no connection to our heritage, and no idea what the guys in the field actually want/need... they just take whatever dumb idea they happen to think is best and cram it down our throats.

Just curious....what do you mean by the cowboy cut?

4949shooter
11-10-2012, 04:42
Since we only wear our boots with "Class B" uniforms, I have mixed feelings about polishing them. I always had my "B" boots polished from the academy days, but the thought process here is becoming more of if we are wearing class B's than we don't want to shine.

Class "A" uniform shine away.

I just got issued a new pair of 511's. I haven't done anything with them yet, but I think I will just keep them lookling "fresh" with a base coat of polish as Cochese mentioned.

If you wear boots every day with your class A uniform, then I could see keeping them spit shined.

Kingarthurhk
11-10-2012, 05:21

I remember when they changed the regular green to that weird green. We laughed at the first mismatched guy that showed up a muster.

I didn't like the cowboy cut on the shirts, though, because the five strands kept tearing them up.

I like the BDU look I see the new patrol with, but I never liked the concept of the second patch and the fact they made the BP patch smaller.

Heck, I still have my old hats, and uniforms. The leather is probably rotten by now. But, I did make sure I kept my Ike nice.

Morale sucked when i was in too. I am sure that hasn't changed much. Back then, the government in its less than infinite wisdom decided to do cross the board 11's and kill OCORS. That is when I decided I was out, and left.

Unless you wanted to be Nanook of the North, you were frozen in whatever duty station you were at, and it made morale worse, not better.

I guess the government decided to solve morale by making everyone 12's over there across the board. It appears they still don't "get it" 10 years later.

The issue is guys want mobility. You can throw as much money as you want at it, but people want to move around to different duty stations. If they can grasp that concept, I think morale might finally improve.

A6Gator
11-12-2012, 18:10

I thought this thread was about spit-shined boots and some chick...:supergrin:

Lt Scott 14
11-14-2012, 22:33
The old school LEO Academy use to dress the footwear in Clarino oxfords. They blistered my feet, so I sought a pair of Bates USPS style shoes. Had to shine and Kiwi the leather, but they were great. The nylon/leather patrol boots do work well, and with a bit of maintenence look ok. My instructors would roll in their graves thinking that Clarino isn't accepted in the law enforcement world. They were crap, and the duty gear didn't last more than a year or two without cracking. I like the nylon better, and it's silent when you walk.

Metro566
11-17-2012, 22:48
On dogs I don't polish my boots...there is no need. I keep them clean and conditioned...they look like they did when I bought them.

When I work days, I have a separate pair that is nice and shiny.

On days all I do is crashes and traffic, on dogs all I do is run through dirt and catch crooks. To each their own

OfficerChris
11-18-2012, 13:08
I really dont get it why in the USA there is so much effort put in shining boots and uniform inspections.. at least it seems to me like that.

I like it when an officer looks good in his/her uniform, but its not like beeing in the honor guard of the USMC.

Getting a reprimand for that is just a waste of energy and a loss of motivation.

Offcourse I also saw police officers with boots that looked like they worked for weeks at a farm, but thats not really something thats worth more than just mentioning it from time to time.

We had one of these shoe cleaner machines at the station. Every couple of hours I walked by, I used it. Worked fine and cost nearly nothing (I bet you get these for less than 100$)

Cochese
11-18-2012, 13:19
We had one of these shoe cleaner machines at the station. Every couple of hours I walked by, I used it. Worked fine and cost nearly nothing (I bet you get these for less than 100$)

We had them when I worked in Texas. They were called trustees.

:rofl:

GRIMLET
11-18-2012, 15:50

A local jail/work center complex has painted patrol boats, washes our vehicles and we can check a few out to clean the impound.

Its not a bad deal at all. We used to throw them a pack of smokes for a good job. Now the jail complex is smoke free so I bring a hamburger combo every couple/three washes.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

GRIMLET
11-18-2012, 15:54
Did it twice, sorry.

Cochese
11-18-2012, 16:57
A local jail/work center complex has painted patrol boats, washes our vehicles and we can check a few out to clean the impound.

Its not a bad deal at all. We used to throw them a pack of smokes for a good job. Now the jail complex is smoke free so I bring a hamburger combo every couple/three washes.

The Denton County courthouse. They have an old fashioned shoe shine booth. Buck a boot. Fifty cents to the county and fifty cent to the convict.

I miss them days.

Our trustees here pick up brass at my range and clean puke, ****, and blood out of my car.

I can't complain.

BigSpenda864
11-19-2012, 14:53
I used to have to wear those hi gloss military style dress shoes unless I was on midnight shift or special duty. You can't run worth a damn in them and once I had been directing traffic and was standing in the same spot for a while in the summer sun. When I tried to move the damn shoe was almost stuck to the pavement and my feet were almost cooked inside the things.

As for my boots (which is all I wear now), I don't spit shine them like I did in my Army days but I rub a some polish on them and buff them with a brush about every other time I wear them. Generally they stay pretty shiny that way.

I don't think it's a waste of time at all to keep your boots shined up (or staying dress right dress for that matter). Its all about attention to detail in my opinion. A good trait for a LEO.

Ohio Copper
11-19-2012, 16:15
I keep mine clean, shiny and presentable.

Go figure last night I had them super shiny and was admiring them when I first got on shift, two hours later I'm trudging through mud looking for a vehicle break in suspect...

OfficerChris
11-20-2012, 08:54

whats a trustee?

DaBigBR
11-20-2012, 11:13
whats a trustee?

A jail inmate who works, usually around the facility.

cowboywannabe
11-20-2012, 11:42
starting shift while looking like youve just ended shift is a poor excuse.

we have a deal that works like this....you want to wear "tactical" boots, they better be shined before shift or you will be suspended for not wearing the cheap ass coraframs.

Cochese
11-20-2012, 12:29
Suspended?

That's retarded.

OfficerChris
11-20-2012, 13:28
A jail inmate who works, usually around the facility.

ah ok, already thought that after the response above, but the online dictionary didnt know it.

GRIMLET
11-20-2012, 13:39
You really didnt know what a trustee is?
I thought you were joking.
Im not bashing on you. I promise.

Wait!!!
Are you a cop?!?!?
What is your ORI?!?!
Where do you work?!?

Hahahah
Just my attempt at humor.

OfficerChris
11-20-2012, 14:05
what the hell is an ORI lol?

Agent6-3/8
11-20-2012, 14:13
what the hell is an ORI lol?

It's an identification number assigned to each LE agency.

cowboywannabe
11-20-2012, 14:43
Suspended?

That's retarded.

warnings have already been given out, unless you pulled your 12 hour night shift, spent hours in court during the day....even then you better have knocked off the chunks.

the suspension comes after being nice and saying now now, youre suppose to look professional, have pride in the way you look, we issue you shoes you dont have to polish but if you want to wear tac boots you better take care of them.....

there comes a time when you say no more and tell them to conform or take a day off without pay. i have no problem with it, but then again i change my underwear too.

good for you collim1, its nice to hear about cops who looke like they give a crap about the way they look.

too many ive seen that havent shaved because its the weekend and theyre on nights, or dont polish their boots because....no excuse but ive heard them all......look at the guys who dont know what a gig line is or how to tuck in their shirts right....slobs are slobs no matter how you try to rationalize it. id bet if you looked at the dirty boot guys you can pick out their cruisers by the trash inside from mcdonald's and little debbie.

OfficerChris
11-20-2012, 15:12
It's an identification number assigned to each LE agency.

surprisingly I expected that too :supergrin:
Think its called DVR number here. I have no idea what DVR stands for, it gets filled in automatically.

GRIMLET
11-20-2012, 15:47
You and those bags of sand.
Hmmmm