Just Ordered Apex Extractor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered Apex Extractor

dhgeyer
11-03-2012, 05:34
New batch must be done - I just ordered one.

SJ 40
11-03-2012, 05:40
When the newly announced 40's are in stock I'm in for at least one and more than likely a pair.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid67.html

SJ 40

dhgeyer
11-03-2012, 05:48
I said I wasn't going to buy the Apex because my G19 is working perfectly with the new non-dipped extractor from Glock. But I just got a new G17 Gen4 yesterday, and haven't even shot it yet. For sixty bucks I'll buy one (just did) just out of curiosity. I can test 2 guns with dipped, non-dipped, and Apex extractors, a variety of springs, and Glock's and my homemade extractor depressor plunger and spring loaded bearings. Should be interesting.

Good luck with the .40. I notice on their website they are saying very clearly now that the extractors they have for 9mm are not for Gen 3 guns. They're still working on that one I guess.

faawrenchbndr
11-03-2012, 05:58
Have one on order,......thanks for the heads up! :cool:

packinaglock
11-03-2012, 07:48
Just ordered one myself, my gen 4 19 is good so far but I figure I'll at least have one in case I develop issues at 1000 rounds or more like others have. Better to have it & not need it than need it and not have it.

cajun_chooter
11-03-2012, 08:43
does the Apex extractor work on a G26/3 ?

Beanie-Bean
11-03-2012, 08:59
Thanks for the heads-up. I've been following along on the M4 forum, and looks like he'll have something available soon for the .40S&W models.

All of my 9X19 Glocks are Gen4, and all of them have the MIM/dipped extractors. No weird BTF yet, but I have experienced crappy ejection when I don't charge my ammo with enough powder. Because of that, I've been loading on the mid-high to high side of recommended load values for the different projectiles I'm shooting. It would be nice to load on the lower end of the spectrum, since the pistol doesn't kick as much when using bunny fart loads.

I'll do a range comparison of the stock extractors/EDP springs on both my G17 and G19 models, both of which have seen the most rounds so far.

Thank you again for the heads-up, there are two en route to my place.

packinaglock
11-03-2012, 09:13
does the Apex extractor work on a G26/3 ?

I think I read where he will be coming out soon with a version just for the gen 3's.

apheod
11-03-2012, 09:14
is there any need to mess with the extractors on the gen 2 guns? no issues so far, but i've only put a couple of hundred rounds through my 23, i just got it a couple of weeks ago.

dhgeyer
11-03-2012, 09:28
is there any need to mess with the extractors on the gen 2 guns?

None whatsoever.

Bilrus61
11-03-2012, 09:56
So is the deal with the MIM extractor is that they wear so much faster than the older cast ones that the ejection gets inconsistant after a few hundred rounds? If you put in a Apex extractor do you go back to the older Glocks reliability and longevity?

TheExplorer
11-03-2012, 10:20
is there any need to mess with the extractors on the gen 2 guns? no issues so far, but i've only put a couple of hundred rounds through my 23, i just got it a couple of weeks ago.

There is if you are getting BTF. If not, no. My early G3 is.

dhgeyer
11-03-2012, 10:25
So is the deal with the MIM extractor is that they wear so much faster than the older cast ones that the ejection gets inconsistant after a few hundred rounds? If you put in a Apex extractor do you go back to the older Glocks reliability and longevity?

Not that simple, unfortunately. Some newer Glocks don't eject well, symptoms being some combination of jamming, weak ejection, inconsistent ejection, and/or brass cases hitting shooters in the head/face.

There are several possible causes. Recoil spring assemblies have been replaced by Glock with a new unit (twice), as have ejectors. This has cured some guns. There is a new extractor out that has helped some guns. It is MIM.

There doesn't seem to be one answer that works for every gun. Some have postulated an accumulation (stacking) of too liberal tolerances in a combination of parts including the slide.

I personally think that weak spring tension on the extractor is a big factor. You can get stronger springs.

I personally don't think that parts manufactured by the Metal Injection Molding (MIM) process are necessarily inferior. Other manufacturers are using MIM parts, including extractors, with no problems. The parts just need to be made correctly.

Bottom line is, not all guns are having problems or will have problems. No one really knows what the percentage of problem guns is. If yours is working well, best leave it alone and hope for the best I would say. If it has ejection problems, then there are several parts you can look at replacing and see what works.

TheExplorer
11-03-2012, 10:39
Bottom line is, not all guns are having problems or will have problems. No one really knows what the percentage of problem guns is. If yours is working well, best leave it alone and hope for the best I would say. If it has ejection problems, then there are several parts you can look at replacing and see what works.

100% agree. They are no longer perfection, so don't touch it unless you are having issues.

nraman
11-03-2012, 10:39
I personally don't think that parts manufactured by the Metal Injection Molding (MIM) process are necessarily inferior. Other manufacturers are using MIM parts, including extractors, with no problems.

S&W has used MIM for their revolver hammers and other critical parts for years.

The parts just need to be made correctly.

Bottom line.

Raleigh Glocker
11-03-2012, 12:27
Already out of stock. Dang...

SJ 40
11-03-2012, 12:35
Apex needs to be producing the by the truck load. SJ 40

SCmasterblaster
11-03-2012, 13:39

Do they make ones for the 3rd Gen G17? I would think so. :cool:

freekshow001
11-03-2012, 13:55
So whats the update parts from glock? I have the 30274 ejector, dipped extractor, 042 recoil spring and my Gen4 17 is from December 2011. I have always had erratic ejection but just thought it was normal as it was my first handgun, now i am getting to the 1000 round mark and more and more cases land on my arm or brim on my hat. I e-mailed glock with no reply.

Raleigh Glocker
11-03-2012, 14:05
So whats the update parts from glock? I have the 30274 ejector, dipped extractor, 042 recoil spring and my Gen4 17 is from December 2011. I have always had erratic ejection but just thought it was normal as it was my first handgun, now i am getting to the 1000 round mark and more and more cases land on my arm or brim on my hat. I e-mailed glock with no reply.

Call instead of email, and ask for the warranty department.

You have the current ejector and RSA. They replaced my #2 "dipped" extractor with a #3 "dipped" extractor. Some are getting non-"dipped" extractors put in their Glocks, as well, so I don't think they've settled on a standard yet.

SJ 40
11-03-2012, 14:19
Do they make ones for the 3rd Gen G17? I would think so. :cool:They are working on it along with the 40"s.

This from their order page.

Only for use in the Generation 4 Glock pistols (Generation 3 model coming soon)

Order page link
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid67.html
SJ 40

dhgeyer
11-03-2012, 15:17
I just bought a USA made Gen4 G17. The RSA is marked 0-2-4, not 0-4-2. Which is current and correct? I'm reading it the same way I read my G19 as 0-4-3, which I know is right.

EDIT: Never mind. I just looked it up on Glockparts.com's parts diagram. It's 0-2-4.

Arc Angel
11-03-2012, 15:40
....... They replaced my #2 "dipped" extractor with a #3 "dipped" extractor. Some are getting non-"dipped" extractors put in their Glocks, as well, so I don't think they've settled on a standard yet.

So far I've tried: #2 dipped, #3 dipped; and a #3 non-dipped. None have worked well. Best performance I've had is with the #2 dipped. The vertical dimensions appear to be too small - especially towards the front of the extractor; and something I have yet to figure out seems to be off between the striker (FP) safety and all of these extractors.

Some sort of impingement appears to be occurring that's causing the extractor to, 'flip' brass back towards the shooter's face. I'm beginning to understand the problem; but, the solution continues to elude me. Extractor chatter, maybe? I don't know; but I'm betting that Randy Lee does.

dhgeyer
11-03-2012, 16:01

Last I saw on their Industry Forum at M4Carbine, they plan to make them in batches of 100, arriving in stock every two weeks or so. I was surprised that I got one. I saw their Facebook posting early this morning and jumped like a jackrabbit.

fuzzy03cls
11-03-2012, 16:34
Why would this benefit the .40's? They don't have the many problems the 9mm's have.

nraman
11-03-2012, 16:40
So, what is the verdict?
Do they work?
They have been out long enough to establish whether they fix the problem.
Is there a thread somewhere here with reports?

SJ 40
11-03-2012, 16:48
Why would this benefit the .40's? They don't have the many problems the 9mm's have.Some have. I would rather have a Glock OEM machined non LCI or even a OEM investment cast extractor as a spare but those are long gone. So as I see it the Apex is the best quality spare I'm going to get. SJ 40

Beretta92guy
11-03-2012, 17:54
So, what is the verdict?
Do they work?

that is what i have been wondering also......

I hope it does work for people who own glocks, and its a damn shame that a small after-market company has to come up to a solution for a problem glock should be addressing......

Barnstorm
11-03-2012, 18:20
Ordered mine yesterday. After coming home from the range with a nice red mark on the bridge of my nose, I couldn't have been happier to see them in stock when I did. Also did the "1911" extractor test with 45 rounds of NATO. I know it doesn't really apply to Glocks but I wanted to see what it would do. Not one ejected out of the port. All fell through magwell and about 20% stovepiped. Gun is Gen 4 19, dip extractor, 336 ejector, 043 spring. 1100 rds.

fuzzy03cls
11-05-2012, 08:36
The only gun I have a BTF issue is my 1911 :)

brickboy240
11-05-2012, 11:32
Have fun.

The Apex extractor did not fix my late model 3rd gen G19.

-brickboy240

nugentjeep45
11-05-2012, 16:15
^^^^The current Apex extractor is designed for the gen 4 (clearly stated on the web page) and has been a great success. Randy is currently making an extractor designed for the gen 3 that has different geometrical design.

Glock2336
11-05-2012, 16:24
So, what is the verdict?
Do they work?

From my observation it's worked for all the Gen 4's and for most of the Gen 3's but they also discovered that many Gen 3's have a lower locking block that does not work well with the Current Apex Extractors which are now being dedicated to the Gen 4 9mm's. The Gen 3 extractor need a minor adjustment and the .40 extractor just entered its testing stage.

Glock2336
11-05-2012, 16:30
Have fun.

The Apex extractor did not fix my late model 3rd gen G19.

-brickboy240

You and I both know that this is the reason that they are making a dedicated Gen 3 model.

^^^^The current Apex extractor is designed for the gen 4 (clearly stated on the web page) and has been a great success. Randy is currently making an extractor designed for the gen 3 that has different geometrical design.

Originally it tested fine in some Gen 3's but some that still had problems were sent to Apex to diagnose what made them different. And it was discovered that some locking blocks on some 3rd Gens were much lower.
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=114574

Tornado_Racing
11-05-2012, 16:41
I asked on TOS when they would be available and was told at the end of the day (Nov. 1st). Saturday morning they still had 'em in stock so I picked one up. No major issues like some others have posted but once the round counts gets up there I won't have to worry about BTF issues.

brickboy240
11-05-2012, 16:47
Back when the first batch of Glock extractors were put out for sale....they were sold as the fix for BOTH 3 and 4 gen guns....NOT just the gen 4s.

It was only afterwards that we figured out that they needed a separate 3rd gen extractor.

So no...AT THE TIME I ORDERED IT...I did not know that the extractor was only for gen 4 guns and it did NOT state that on their site. Obviously now it does but back then...no it did not.

So if you have a gen 4 9mm Glock...give the Apex part a try because it works well in most 4th gen guns as per the comments here and on m4carbine.ntet's forums.

AJE
11-06-2012, 03:19
Ordered mine yesterday. After coming home from the range with a nice red mark on the bridge of my nose, I couldn't have been happier to see them in stock when I did. Also did the "1911" extractor test with 45 rounds of NATO. I know it doesn't really apply to Glocks but I wanted to see what it would do. Not one ejected out of the port. All fell through magwell and about 20% stovepiped. Gun is Gen 4 19, dip extractor, 336 ejector, 043 spring. 1100 rds.

I would get the more current 30274 ejector as well.