Help me decide 17 vs 34 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide 17 vs 34

AR15 guy
11-03-2012, 08:44
I currently have a g26 and a g19, and I am wanting a full size for competition use. Usually this decision is a no brainier, but I'm on a budget.

I already have a pro-series IDPA approved blade tech holster for a g17, plus I also have a extended slide release already.

I'm thinking the g17 could be a better option since all I would really need to make then fairly equal would be a lighter connector. I want to add fiber optic sights to either, so starting with the cheaper g17 seems like it may be a more practical option.

Beanie-Bean
11-03-2012, 09:04
Looks like you've already figured out which model you're going to get :) If you're going to go with a F/O front sight, I'd get the measurements from the vendor first. There's a cutout on the slide toward the front sight on the G34, and you may end up with a sight hanging over the void on that model.

I've got both, and to be honest, I really like the G34. I picked it up before I went with the G17 when I had to decide which full-size frame 9X19 Glock I was going to get. I ended up with the G17 on a trade later on.

Both are excellent pistols, but it seems like you're already equipped to roll with a G17.

troysglock
11-03-2012, 09:04
The 34 is a better shooter as far as accuracy, recoil, etc.. I shot the 17 competitively for long time and found the 34 bit longer in the draw. Tough call, I go 17 seems faster for me to get on target. But the 34 is so nice to shoot.

Thumper
11-03-2012, 09:06
Your thought process seems sound to me. My grandson shoots Glocks in IDPA. He started with the 17 and loved it. Later we found a very good used 34 and now he is shooting it. Both 17 & 34 have TFO's and he loves 'em.

Good Luck and enjoy shooting IDPA.

firstg19
11-03-2012, 09:06
sounds like you want the 17. go that route, you are going to see many benefits for both, but it seems a lot of it is personal preference as there really isnt a whole lot of difference between the two, especially once you upgrade the 17's trigger

oldman11
11-03-2012, 10:23
They both use the same frame, just a different upper.

Short Cut
11-03-2012, 10:56
You can't go wrong either way, but having shot both I go with the G34 I like the balance and it is so fast to get back on sights for multiple shot strings.

JonInWA
11-03-2012, 11:38
There's really no wrong decision to be made here-I have both guns, and have shot matches (IDPA and GSSF primarily, along with steel plate matches with the G17) well with both. While I'd give the G34 a slight edge, the fact is that the original poster is simply better set up at this time for the G17, and has stated that he's budget-conscious, so I'd suggest that he go with that, and spend his savings on training, matches, and ammunition.

And, incidentally, while I have both "-" and "." connectors, the OEM standard connector/standard trigger spring combination was so good in my G17 from the get-go that (after lubrication with TW25B) I've chosen to leave well enough alone in the thousands of rounds following.

Best, Jon

Wolfdad
11-03-2012, 13:01
I'd go with the 34 which already has the connector and extended mag release. I personally shoot the long slides better than the regular length barrel guns. I think the longer sight radius is beneficial for accuracy, at least for me. The FO front sight will fit with some overhang. I don't think it's a big deal. I know the G17 would work well also, I just prefure the G34.

albinlee
11-03-2012, 13:16
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/alhovde/IMG_20121007_211204-1.jpg

Any questions?

sig357fan
11-03-2012, 13:23
I currently have a g26 and a g19, and I am wanting a full size for competition use. Usually this decision is a no brainier, but I'm on a budget.

I already have a pro-series IDPA approved blade tech holster for a g17, plus I also have a extended slide release already.

I'm thinking the g17 could be a better option since all I would really need to make then fairly equal would be a lighter connector. I want to add fiber optic sights to either, so starting with the cheaper g17 seems like it may be a more practical option.

before you drop your hard earned on another pistol, why not try your G19 in an IDPS match first.

see if it will fit your holster and give it a try, after all IDPA is a defence pistol game and the G19 is considered one of the best defence pistols around.

just sayin'

sig357fan

JonInWA
11-03-2012, 13:27
before you drop your hard earned on another pistol, why not try your G19 in an IDPS match first.

see if it will fit your holster and give it a try, after all IDPA is a defence pistol game and the G19 is considered one of the best defence pistols around.

just sayin'

sig357fan

Excellent points-I've also done quite well with my G19s in IDPA and GSSF-they index quite naturally and quickly, and accuracy is excellent also.

Best, Jon

SCmasterblaster
11-03-2012, 13:28

I'd get a 3rd Gen G17 for sure.

mdpbowtech
11-03-2012, 13:30
I agree with sig357fan. Try your 19 first. I have read numerous posts of people saying that they actually shoot there 19 better than there 17 or 34. I have had all 3 and the only 1 I have left is the 19. Granted im not a serious competitive shooter so I cant compare the guns that way.

SCmasterblaster
11-03-2012, 13:32
I agree with sig357fan. Try your 19 first. I have read numerous posts of people saying that they actually shoot there 19 better than there 17 or 34. I have had all 3 and the only 1 I have left is the 19. Granted im not a serious competitive shooter so I cant compare the guns that way.

This was my first thought, too. :cool:

davsco
11-03-2012, 13:53
suggest you get a gen 4 g34. the gen 4 has a grippier grip. the 34 will give you a little longer sight radius. it WILL work in your g17 holster, the muzzle will just stick out a little. i have warren/sevigny competition wide notch rear and fiber optic front sights on all my glocks and they work great.

per the 2011 idpa equipment survey, g34's outweighed g17's by roughly 10%. so you probably won't go wrong either way. but since you already have a 19 i'd say go up two steps to the 34.

AR15 guy
11-03-2012, 14:47
My holster will not work with a 34, it is actually closed off at the bottom, but I may take a dremel to it.

I have been using my 19 in USPSA and idpa, BUT I want to modify my competition gun. My 19 gets carried semi-regularly, and I do not want to do any trigger mods or anything to it.

Bruce M
11-03-2012, 14:52
I like the G34 better than the G17- it just seems better balanced to me- and if I had known then what I know now I would have two of them and no G17. But I probably will pick something different for dinner than someone else. From what I have read some people do well or better with a G19 than the bigger versions and more than a few people here have suggested they shoot the G26 better than its bigger 9mm brothers too.

RonS
11-03-2012, 14:57
I have to go against the trend here. Any time I have compromised on the gun I want due to budget limitations I have regretted it and usually got rid of that gun at some point. Not saying you should get one or the other but I would get the one I really want and if necessary a Sport Combat holster to use for a while if it happens to be the G34. You may have a completely different mindset than me so YMMV etc.

AR15 guy
11-03-2012, 15:12
I have a serpa holster I could also use without modifying. I just hate that stupid thing.

jupiter
11-03-2012, 16:48

This might help you decide.
G34: Dominant Force
http://pistol-training.com/

bac1023
11-03-2012, 16:52
I prefer the G34.

Black&TAN
11-03-2012, 17:02
The sight radius of the G34 is a little more accurate for me, however the G17 seems quicker on target.

I dig the G34, but think you can't go wrong either way, it may come down to personal preference.

sent via Tapatalk

seaswol
11-03-2012, 21:25
[QUOTE=AR15 guy;19587230]My holster will not work with a 34, it is actually closed off at the bottom, but I may take a dremel to it.

I would not have a holster dictate my next gun purchase, Even if it was a VM2. Like cars, I buy the car I want and then replace the tires as soon as possible.
Chris

SARDG
11-03-2012, 23:00
I'd go with the 34 which already has the connector and extended mag release...
Blue Label 34s do not, and there are a lot of Blue Labels out there.

My holster will not work with a 34, it is actually closed off at the bottom, but I may take a dremel to it...
You can take a heat gun to it instead and bend the bottom out straight using a smooth tool (like the jaws of a mostly-closed crescent wrench).

I have a serpa holster I could also use without modifying. I just hate that stupid thing.
Those are already outlawed at our club, and the day may come soon when they are banned nationally due to several ADs.

Ferdinandd
11-03-2012, 23:25
I bought a G17 new in 2004, and a 34 in Jan 2011. The G34 points a bit more naturally for me, follow-up shots come a little quicker, and accuracy at distances beyond 50 feet is improved when trying to acquire targets and shoot fast. YMMV.

Also, I'd look at buying the pistol that's the most different than the 9mm Glocks that you already have; that would be the G34.

JonInWA
11-05-2012, 08:18
Blue Label 34s do not, and there are a lot of Blue Labels out there.

You can take a heat gun to it instead and bend the bottom out straight using a smooth tool (like the jaws of a mostly-closed crescent wrench).

Those are already outlawed at our club, and the day may come soon when they are banned nationally due to several ADs.

Sardg, your at least partially incorrect regarding your comment on Blue Label connectors; they MAY or MAY NOT have the "-" connectors-it simply depends what the wholesaler has in stock at the time the order hits, which likely reflects prevailing concurrent (or recent/projected) LEO orders. I've personally seen Blue Label G34s either way (and, for that matter, with either the adjustable or the fixed rear sight)-and my personal G34 Blue Label came with the "-" connector and the adjustable rear sight.

Best, Jon

SARDG
11-05-2012, 08:42
Sardg, your at least partially incorrect regarding your comment on Blue Label connectors...
That is true - my statement was an over-generalization; any Glock can conceivably come configured with or without any parts offered by Glock, and the box label will tell the story of the factory configuration. But the statement that 34s already come with a "-" connector, etc. is also a common over-generalization and assumption as the 34s and 35s are billed as Practical/Tactical.

Black&TAN
11-05-2012, 09:33
...my personal G34 Blue Label came with the "-" connector and the adjustable rear sight.
My early run Blue Label Gen4 G34 also came with the "-" connector, however it did not have the adjustable rear site.

Expecting a dot, I had ordered an OEM minus to switch out, didn't realize until I had pulled everything apart that it was already there! Didn't miss the adjustable sights though, Sevigneys took their place.

Although I wouldn't consider it the norm, am happy it shipped with the minus, which will make things easier down the line should I ever need the connector replaced.

sent via Tapatalk

tercel89
11-05-2012, 09:53
The G34 Gen 3 is the perfect pistol in my opinion and what the original G17 should have been :cool:
I took my G34 and put a regular magazine release button on it and a regualr 5lb connector and a regular slide stop .

dango
11-05-2012, 14:25
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/alhovde/IMG_20121007_211204-1.jpg

Any questions?

33 shot mag.....? I LIKE IT !:supergrin:

JonInWA
11-06-2012, 10:22
That is true - my statement was an over-generalization; any Glock can conceivably come configured with or without any parts offered by Glock, and the box label will tell the story of the factory configuration. But the statement that 34s already come with a "-" connector, etc. is also a common over-generalization and assumption as the 34s and 35s are billed as Practical/Tactical.

Red/White Label G34 "commercial" Glocks' standard build/marketing/catalog profile is with the "-" connnector and the adjustable polymer rear sight. Which isn't to say that a distributor or other couldn't order them with other components...but it's unusual, in my experience and observation. As we've discussed, Blue Label G34's come in varying component profiles.

Best, Jon

MinnesnowtaWild
11-06-2012, 11:25
I had the same decision to make...G34 or G17. I get the blue label discount so the G34 price was pretty good, but the G17 was still about $80 cheaper so I went with that instead. I plan on putting some fiber optic sights on anyways so the adjustable sights didn't do much for me on the G34.

xXGearheadXx
11-06-2012, 14:09
I have both and can't really tell a big difference. They're both awesome.

AR15 guy
11-06-2012, 14:20
Well...I did something I thought I wouldn't do. I actually traded into a full size M&P. I'm going to give it a try, and if I don't like it I'll see if I can get a glock for it.