2nd case failure in 2.5 years. Just me? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2nd case failure in 2.5 years. Just me?

RetailNinja
11-03-2012, 13:58
I had a blow out the back, again. Both times on Winchester once fired brass. 1911. 4000rds - 2 failures so far - one last year one this year.

45ACP - 4.2gr Clays w/ Rainier 200gr flat nose electroplated bullet. Dillon 650 w/ overcharge warning system.

The first one blew out the bottom of the magazine, this second one, the bottom of the magazine held tight (CMC powermag vs. welded floor plate mag) forcing the gas and powder out the back from around the grip safety.

I don't cruise the reloading forums much anymore. Is it just me?

fredj338
11-03-2012, 19:46
You should be fine @ a true 4.2gr, not even close to max w/ a plated bullet. Double check the scale, make sure it is 4.2gr. If all is well, chalk it up to a bad peice of brass. It's never happened to me loading 10s of 1000s of 45acp, even @ +P levels, but crap happens.

F106 Fan
11-03-2012, 20:08
Do you have check weights for your scale?

The small set is fine for weighing powder. The large set is useful for weighing bullets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=check+weights

Richard

RetailNinja
11-03-2012, 20:09
Thanks. I'll pull a handfull out and check them to see the weight. Just my luck :)

shotgunred
11-03-2012, 20:13
I had two go in one session about three years ago. Nothing lately.

Three-Five-Seven
11-04-2012, 13:40
My personal experience with Clays is that it is temperature sensitive and position sensitive. It also is not the best metering powder among those available for the job.

Is it possible that a slight variation in metering, and round that was unusually warm, got positioned in the gun just right to cause detonation? Yup.

I don't use Clays anymore in pistols for these reasons. I still use it in skeet loads, where I've never experienced any of the stated problems.

There are better powder choices for the .45 acp.

Agent6-3/8
11-04-2012, 13:45
I've loaded thousands and thousands of .45 ACP rounds. Many with 4.2g or 4.3g Clays under a 200g LSWC or a plated Berry's SWC. Never had a problem.

Might just be bad luck, but that strikes me as odd.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

PhantomF4E
11-04-2012, 16:23
Any signs of pressure from the other spent rounds? In over 30 years of loading pistol , never had that happen . As stated get some calibration weights if you dont have any and calibrate to the smallest weight. Maybe a lower pressure powder is something to consider

RetailNinja
11-09-2012, 02:10
I talked to the gunsmith who checked over the gun. Les Baer TRS. He said that LBC throats their barrels to the absolute limit of what is considered safe. If it happens again I'll probably end up getting the gun rebarrelled and have, instead of throating, the Colt 'nub' cut in.

Still haven't gotten out to the reloading dungeon yet (on a friend's farm ~30min away).

It is very possible that the round was warm. The day was cold but the gun had ~50 rounds through it up to that point.

I checked the recovered brass at the time, the primers were all flush and there was no blow-by or unusual bulging. I'm not aware if there's anything else I should have been looking for?

390ish
11-10-2012, 14:19
What is the source of your once-fired brass? If it was not your pick up from factory firing, someone might have sold you some tired brass. Just a thought. I know Remington tends to be a bit thicker and Winchester a bit thinner in 38 super, but i don't know about 45 acp. I just shoot whatever I scrounge and shoot mid-range loads of Clays with 230 grain lee cast boolits. I quit using Universal because it metres like styrofoam, problem is I still have about 6 pounds of it.

RetailNinja
11-13-2012, 21:19
Police department range day pickups and also once fired from my own wwb stash. I break in guns with the factory stuff before I switch to reloads.